Returning to running (ahem...jogging) with interesting BG results

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the impression from reading Dr Bernstein that we diabetics should keep to a cast-iron timetable of the utmost regularity. Same amount of food containing same amount of carbs & protein at the same (far apart) intervals. IMO on top of our having to give up everything not on his "allowed" list, this is a bit much. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to live my life with such admirable regularity, control and predictability. A robot might do better! But maybe that is what it takes to have no spikes or lows, which would indisputably be the best for our health.

My understanding of Metformin is that it stops the liver dumping glucose in to the blood. Does this mean that we don't get a boost of glucose when we actually need it, as the price for not getting rogue boosts when we don't, as in the dawn phenomenon?

That's why I don't read anything like that! I know my levels between waking up and finally getting my behind into gear to start doing some semblance of a work out, my levels rise... the more exercise I do the less the rise, and when I am away it kinda resets.

I have a job with no regularity at all - so I make the most of cooking at home when I AM at home, and try and manage my diabetes as best I can when I am travelling/at a tournament. It is not always easy. I can only try.

I know what works for me - and at the moment I am now trying to cook a LCHF evening meal where possible. But on the flip side... if (like tonight) I am out and know I am going to be indulging in a little alkyhickihol... well let's just say it is a good job tomorrow's session is conditioning stretches and Tai Chi!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know my levels between waking up and finally getting my behind into gear to start doing some semblance of a work out, my levels rise
Have you tried a small low carb snack straight after rising? I currently eat cheese and 10g brazil nuts, with tea & cream, straight after doing my am fasting test, because otherwise often my levels will rise all by themselves. This can happen at other times of day too if I fast too long. I am trying to remember to eat a little something every 5 hours. It's bad enough trying to avoid spikes after I eat, I'm blowed if I'll accept spikes when I don't!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried a small low carb snack straight after rising? I currently eat cheese and 10g brazil nuts, with tea & cream, straight after doing my am fasting test, because otherwise often my levels will rise all by themselves. This can happen at other times of day too if I fast too long. I am trying to remember to eat a little something every 5 hours. It's bad enough trying to avoid spikes after I eat, I'm blowed if I'll accept spikes when I don't!
Yeah - actually good point. I have seen my levels come down with an ounce each of cashews and almonds, which I like to have as an afternoon snack normally...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm... rest day after the combo of cardio boxing and more arm-heavy weights have left me with DOMS and a tight achilles.

So no exercise today and back at it tomorrow - not least of which I need to blow a day in town so I need to crack on with a lot of work on my websites... I am aware I am away for another stint and have come no closer to even getting anywhere near caught up with stuff.