Arrgggh, denied :(

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, first thing this morning, I was full of hope and excitement, this morning was my appointment about hopefully getting a pump.
And now I'm in a stinking bad mood cos they denied me one, apparently I don't fit with any of the NICE guidelines for getting one. And I forgot to mention some things that'd I'd written down on a piece of paper than I accidentally left on my desk at home - d'oh.

Going back to see them in 6 months (and I hope it won't be so horrid getting parked - parking at my local hospital is dire, I gave up trying to find a space in the hospital multistorey car park after 20 mins - and everywhere around there is permit or pay and display!).

But for the moment I'm still on my 6-10 injections a day :( (I tend to need quite a few corrections at times)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Not a nice morning at all @Rokaab but do not give up, go in prepared next time, can you share with us what reasons you have got listed ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not a nice morning at all @Rokaab but do not give up, go in prepared next time, can you share with us what reasons you have got listed ?

Basically my Hba1c is too good (last one was 49), and I don't tend to get disabling hypos in an attempt to get it to that level.

The main reasons I really wanted one was because I'm having to do many corrections (after started using the libre), my sugar levels seem to like doing rollercoaster rides and seem quite unpredictable at times.

Also I am going to start running out of useful places to inject at some point having had diabetes for 40-41 years - my legs are now basically a no-go zone, I can't bear the thought of injecting in my stomach (never have been able to - though oddly the idea of a cannula there doesn't seem to bother me), my arms have little fat and now my bum is getting lumpy so only having to replace a cannula every 2 to 3 days would be far better for me than 12-24 injections.

I did go in with my Libre reader (and they downloaded the data) and it showed my wonderful rollercoaster ride.
I'm going back in 6 months but they want me to go on a carb counting course though it takes 4 days and I don't want to have 4 days of not being paid (I've already booked most of my holidays for this current holiday year).

And you know I was hoping to claim to all my workmates that I was about to become a cyborg - cos that would've been cool - I work in IT so everyone I work with would think it was cool too :)

Last edited:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Rokaab

One of the pre-conditions of me getting my first pump was to go on a carb counting course first, yes it was four days, my employer was very supportive. I did not need the course as I'd been carb counting for over 40 years, but as mentioned it was a precondition. The main reasons I got my pump was a) to drop my HBA1c from just over 7 and to fix my early morning BG problems.

I would recommend you do the course and tell the nurses who run it the issues you have been having too.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Sorry to hear your news. Given the time you've had type 1 you should know the exchange system? I tend to find that citing all the figures e.g. g of banana with skin on and off etc demonstrates you already know how to carb count. If you can do this, get another appointment asap and argue again. Plus stick carbs and cals on your phone - food really has increased in size from when we were young. Good luck!

pepp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i was thinking about trying to get a pump but not sure they would consider it my injection sites are tough as old boots & my stomach bruised and tough

D

Deleted Account

A pump requires some dedication, understanding and detailed carb counting.
In my area a carb counting course is a prerequisite to having a pump to prove you are willing and able to put in the effort.
I went on my course. Learnt nothing but found it worthwhile because I got a pump.
Thankfully, it was 6 Monday evenings rather than 4 work days. But it still wasn't convenient (who eats dinner before 5pm or after 9pm?).

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And you know I was hoping to claim to all my workmates that I was about to become a cyborg - cos that would've been cool - I work in IT so everyone I work with would think it was cool too :)

This made me snicker.

Also: have a chat with your employer and see if they'd be willing to grant you "Disability Leave". The TUC have been campaigning for years to get it formalised into law (without success) but it sort of straddles the divide between sick leave and annual leave and covers those times when you have to be off work to receive some kind of thing your disability requires, that most other people don't have to deal with - like a carb counting course.

If you explain it's just 4 sessions and make a case for it being good for your health and, therefore, good for your employer, there's every chance they could agree to grant it.

The reference document I have a little old and cumbersome, but if you scroll to page 7 (or just control+F and look for "Disability Leave") you'll find the relevant section:

"A disability leave policy can include the provision of separate periods of time off for the purpose of (for example) treatment, therapy, rehabilitation, training or waiting for adjustments to be executed."

You could also make an argument that a limited number of paid leave days to attend a course specifically required by your condition (with a medical note of some kind) constitutes a "reasonable adjustment" on behalf of your exployer which is enshrined in law.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/defaul...nce_and_disability_discrimination_feb2013.pdf

Anyway. A couple of thoughts - and there are many here far better versed in this sort of thing than I am. Either way, good luck, CYBORG WANNABE GUY :D

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rokaab if you haven’t done DAFNE then this is one reason you would be refused the pump as you need to of done the course first so don’t despair- it sounds like once this has been done and you can demonstrate issues with sites and injections that you will be on course for the pump, keep pushing you will get there.

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
Well, first thing this morning, I was full of hope and excitement, this morning was my appointment about hopefully getting a pump.
And now I'm in a stinking bad mood cos they denied me one, apparently I don't fit with any of the NICE guidelines for getting one. And I forgot to mention some things that'd I'd written down on a piece of paper than I accidentally left on my desk at home - d'oh.

Going back to see them in 6 months (and I hope it won't be so horrid getting parked - parking at my local hospital is dire, I gave up trying to find a space in the hospital multistorey car park after 20 mins - and everywhere around there is permit or pay and display!).

But for the moment I'm still on my 6-10 injections a day :( (I tend to need quite a few corrections at times)
You need to the four day training and do everything they offer as it would be .morever they need to be sure you can carb count as well as the pump would need to be fed counted carbs

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need to the four day training and do everything they offer as it would be .morever they need to be sure you can carb count as well as the pump would need to be fed counted carbs
I'm not convinced that was actually the reason, after chatting to me he reckoned I could count carbs fine anyways, but I might learn some other stuff on the course. But of course I could be wrong :)