Does low carb make you low mood

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Just can't shift this really heavy feeling.Fewl miserable and don't want to do anything.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heya @Motherhen2014 - sorry to read you're feeling a bit glum. Can I ask... how long have you been low-carbing, and did you suddenly drop into a low carb target or reduce slowly?

It could be you've got a touch of the keto flu: essentially, your body has grown super-used to those yummy, yummy, pointless carbs and is throwing a tantrum to see if you'll start eating them again. Good news it that it doesn't last long and you'll be feeling fabulous (more than ever) in a week or two.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-flu-remedy/

Could also be that you're spoiling for a bug. Lots of liquid, rest and your fave boxed set if you have time.

Get well soon xx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It could be withdrawal symptoms. This is not an exaggeration, carbs are addictive and when we lower the intake of them our brain's and body's react accordingly. The good news is that if you stick with it these symptoms are short lived.

Having said that, my mood can plummet during the winter months due to low light levels and has nothing to do with T2.

I hope you feel better soon, lass.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just can't shift this really heavy feeling.Fewl miserable and don't want to do anything.

Some people feel a bit like that when they feel they're mourning the things they no longer eat. Do you think that's maybe happening a bit?

It's OK to feel that way, and for most it passes as they settle into their new routine.

Reactions: mytype1.life

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
It could be withdrawal symptoms. This is not an exaggeration, carbs are addictive and when we lower the intake of them our brain's and body's react accordingly. The good news is that if you stick with it these symptoms are short lived.

Having said that, my mood can plummet during the winter months due to low light levels and has nothing to do with T2.

I hope you feel better soon, lass.
Thank you x

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some people feel a bit like that when they feel they're mourning the things they no longer eat. Do you think that's maybe happening a bit?

It's OK to feel that way, and for most it passes as they settle into their new routine.
For me it passed, then returned after about 11 months, at which point I announced "I want to eat a dozen iced doughnuts, smoke forty fags, and drink two bottles of wine". I didn't do it. *sigh* The feeling is one I continue to struggle with. Coming on here helps.

Honeyend

Its flumpy February, its the only time I would rather be at work. Eating less carbs made me feel better straight away, but if I eat over 20 in one go I just want to sleep.

Reactions: Chuckannuck

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
For me it passed, then returned after about 11 months, at which point I announced "I want to eat a dozen iced doughnuts, smoke forty fags, and drink two bottles of wine". I didn't do it. *sigh* The feeling is one I continue to struggle with. Coming on here helps.

I don't have a sweet tooth but your mention of doughnuts made me see an image of a pot of tea and two ring doughnuts instantaneously. It may be a while before I forgive you ;)

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a couple of really difficult meetings (about school and my son's "outcomes" and blah blah), I sat in a Costa with a close friend and pondered what I wanted to drink. I was feeling down, deflated, disappointed and my instinct was to have something warm, sweet and gratuitously fluffy - which is what I was about to order until I looked down to get my purse out of my bag and realised that my stomach (after just 6 days) had already started to reduce.

Sugarless, silky latte with an extra shot and a reducing liver (with toes within easy sight) is what I ended up enjoying.

(And I lay my gratitude for my resistance firmly at the feet of you lovely folks who have welcomed me back with such encouragement and open arms. I couldn't bear the thought of 'fessing up to a carb blip today).

Big love <3

Reactions: Antje77

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really miss Doughnuts...Warm ones, filled with Jam...
I also miss Pancakes with Golden syrup or Lemon and sugar......
oh well back on the Bread and water....
no wait I cannot have bread.....
back on the water.

All joking asaide. I focus on the end result, reducing HbA1c, losing weight, etc. It mostly helps. Th other thing I do is to try and find those luxury foods I can eat with wild abandon .

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And creamy sauce and thick, thick yoghurt and guilt-free bacon and salad with limitless dressing and as-many-eggs-as-you-like omelettes with great handfuls of cheese and the good bit of the cheese cake without the crumby annoying base that no-one really likes anyway and super-tasty cuts of beef slow-roasted so all that lovely marbled fat soaks through the joint and makes it all super-moist and yummy and... and... and...

(And I'm SO sorry if you're veggie or vegan. Avocados?)

Reactions: cocobee.2017

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SockFiddler
Good try but still want doughnuts. Never mind Abstinence is good for the body and spirit.

What limitless dressing are you using ? As I need to be careful with mine - I normally uslemon juise and occasionally a splash of balsamic vinegar and I do mean a splash as it s15-20g per 100.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a big fan of squeezing the juice of a lime over leaves and then dotting a bit of walnut or sesame oil over the top. Especially over spinach. Nut oils are especially great as too much is just not nice, so I tend to use them sparingly.

Having said that... I'm going through a fairly heavy Caesar dressing phase at the moment (Tesco's own is 4.95g carbs per 100g and you can generously dress two salads from a single 250ml bottle. Yummy!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a big fan of squeezing the juice of a lime over leaves and then dotting a bit of walnut or sesame oil over the top. Especially over spinach. Nut oils are especially great as too much is just not nice, so I tend to use them sparingly.

Having said that... I'm going through a fairly heavy Caesar dressing phase at the moment (Tesco's own is 4.95g carbs per 100g and you can generously dress two salads from a single 250ml bottle. Yummy!

Hey Sock
Have you seen this one..
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/260195848
1.4g per 100g
Shame about the rapeseed oil but we can't be perfect.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never thought to look at the prepared ceaser sald stuff. I just assumed it would be carb heavy...I'll have a look later.