Broth?

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
so whats the best way to make your own bone broth ?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
so whats the best way to make your own bone broth ?
Generally just by boiling (and then simmering) meat bones with some low carb vegetables. Traditionally broths were a convenient way of extracting some nutrition from bones, where those nutrients are otherwise hard for us to access and would typically go to waste. The nutrients come from mostly from the marrow and connective tissues, as well as residual meat on the bone and minerals from the bone itself.

When boiled up like this, some proteins fats and minerals are released into the broth. In particular, large marrow containing bones have a lot of nutrients that are otherwise fairly inaccessible. These are best cut up before making broth, and butchers will often sell cut up bones like this fairly cheaply.

Here are a couple of examples. Most bone broth recipes follow these general lines:
http://recipes.mercola.com/bone-broth-recipe.aspx
http://bloodsugarbasics.com/homemade-beef-bone-brothstock/

Last edited:
Reactions: hognose

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Knorr brand cubes. Not like homemade, but not so bad. I use them for the salt and to just have a taste of something. I sometimes add salt substitute for the potassium.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I dont think we have the brand here, but I've had to give up powdered ones due to Celiac as they have wheat in them. I've only found one cube type that I can use, and honestly its 99% salt and tastes awful LOL.

It's looking like it might be easier to just not have it while fasting, sadly. I wanted to do it correctly. Is there an alternative that is actually cheap? (Like, people have suggested salt water to get your salt in while fasting) I live off about $50 a month. To put that in to perspective, chicken is $12 a pound.
Chicken breast might be $12/lb but you wouldn't use that for broth. Thighs are a whole lot cheaper and regularly come on sale for $1.89/lb at Superstore. Check out Walmart too. Making home made would solve your celiac issue. I know, I know, can't make it myself, but why not? Do you not have a stove/pot/slow cooker/fridge? Or just don't want to? It's difficult to provide suggestions when you keep throwing up roadblocks.

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken breast might be $12/lb but you wouldn't use that for broth. Thighs are a whole lot cheaper and regularly come on sale for $1.89/lb at Superstore. Check out Walmart too. Making home made would solve your celiac issue. I know, I know, can't make it myself, but why not? Do you not have a stove/pot/slow cooker/fridge? Or just don't want to? It's difficult to provide suggestions when you keep throwing up roadblocks.

There are no thighs that cheap in my area. I'd eat chicken all the time if I could get it at prices like that! Walmart does not sell per pound here, just single priced flats at $10 for legs and thighs. And, I have no idea what a 'superstore' is unless you mean Walmart superstores?

There are many factors for not being able to make it at home, price being one of them, rules about leaving the stoves on for our building is another.
I specifically asked about the boxed broth because there is no other option for me, sorry if that wasnt clear enough in the first post. I didnt want advice on making my own, just asking if the specific brand/type was good enough.

Because it seems as if it is not, I have decided not to do long term fasting and stick with my two meals a day + one meal on the weekends. The broth is no longer needed. Thanks for replying anyways!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
There are no thighs that cheap in my area. I'd eat chicken all the time if I could get it at prices like that! Walmart does not sell per pound here, just single priced flats at $10 for legs and thighs. And, I have no idea what a 'superstore' is unless you mean Walmart superstores?

There are many factors for not being able to make it at home, price being one of them, rules about leaving the stoves on for our building is another.
I specifically asked about the boxed broth because there is no other option for me, sorry if that wasnt clear enough in the first post. I didnt want advice on making my own, just asking if the specific brand/type was good enough.

Because it seems as if it is not, I have decided not to do long term fasting and stick with my two meals a day + one meal on the weekends. The broth is no longer needed. Thanks for replying anyways!
Thanks for clarifying. (I apologize, I thought you were in Canada. Superstore is a chain of stores in Canada known as either Real Canadian Superstore, Extra Foods, No Frills and I believe also Save On Foods stores.)

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
51EzAUUBMGL.jpg
Gluten Free Non wheat recipe not sure of price.

Last edited:

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for clarifying. (I apologize, I thought you were in Canada. Superstore is a chain of stores in Canada known as either Real Canadian Superstore, Extra Foods, No Frills and I believe also Save On Foods stores.)

Ah, we have a No Frills about an hour and a half via public transit. I havent heard of the others though, but I am Canadian!