Cycling on type. 2

lt1v14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any advice for me when I go on 45 mike bike rides. What should I eat before to give me energy?

Reactions: Bigbassett_

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you eat now?
If it works, why change it is my motto?

lt1v14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried porridge but feel starving after it and bloods shoot up. Should I care about high bloods if I am exercising? Tried bread and bacon and that was ok but thought I was supposed to avoid carbs?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It depends whether you are fat adapted, if you are then you can safely eat a high fat meal.

Edited to add.
By safely I mean that it will provide enough energy for the long haul. If you are not yet fat adapted I'm not sure of how you should prepare.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fats. Cut the bread with your bacon and add eggs.
This BBC Food Programme (broadcast today) might be worth listening to as Prof Tim Noakes expounds on why he's reversed his views about carbs for energy and has adopted a LCHF diet and gets energy from fats.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09smnhd#play

So, he used to be a high carb advocate?
When was that?
Been lurking on here a while, I never knew that.

Are eggs fat?
Or do you mean fried?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
So, he used to be a high carb advocate?
When was that?
Been lurking on here a while, I never knew that.

Are eggs fat?
Or do you mean fried?
He was seriously into running and on high carbs, but he changed to LC about 10 years ago and found LCHF made a massive difference. You really should spend 30 minutes listening to the broadcast as it's very interesting.
As far as eggs go here's the data -
upload_2018-2-25_20-39-15.png

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He was seriously into running and on high carbs, but he changed to LC about 10 years ago and found LCHF made a massive difference. You really should spend 30 minutes listening to the broadcast as it's very interesting.
As far as eggs go here's the data -
View attachment 25412

Well, no idea now, you said go for fats, and suggested eggs?
Boiled egg yolks the thing you recommend then?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Tried porridge but feel starving after it and bloods shoot up. Should I care about high bloods if I am exercising? Tried bread and bacon and that was ok but thought I was supposed to avoid carbs?
I caught part of a really interesting radio 4 item on diets for runners today. A respected doctor who had written acclaimed books on the value of a high carbohydrate diet for long distance runners has now realised he was wrong. He now advocates a low carb, high-fat diet for runners. He has found that 'the wall' that so runners hit is most likely caused by the body running out of energy from carbs and crashing, whereas a high-fat diet sustains the body for far longer. He has been lampooned by many of his medical colleagues for suggesting something so outrageous, but he maintains that there is evidence to support his theory. It seems that a low carb, high-fat diet, eaten over a prolonged period may well be the best preparation for a long run or cycle. But we all knew that already didn't we. Did anyone else hear the who item? I missed some of it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I caught part of a really interesting radio 4 item on diets for runners today. A respected doctor who had written acclaimed books on the value of a high carbohydrate diet for long distance runners has now realised he was wrong. He now advocates a low carb, high-fat diet for runners. He has found that 'the wall' that so runners hit is most likely caused by the body running out of energy from carbs and crashing, whereas a high-fat diet sustains the body for far longer. He has been lampooned by many of his medical colleagues for suggesting something so outrageous, but he maintains that there is evidence to support his theory. It seems that a low carb, high-fat diet, eaten over a prolonged period may well be the best preparation for a long run or cycle. But we all knew that already didn't we. Did anyone else hear the who item? I missed some of it.

This would be Prof. Tim Noakes. I havn't listened to the piece yet but I will later.
He is a leading expert in Sports Science and has proved the efficacy of LCHF in a court room exonerating it and himself of spurious charges made by the SA Health Authorities. He is one of my heroes.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't suggest eggs as fats, you asked if eggs are fats and I've put up the data. Sorry if I confused you. I suggested you cut out the bread from your breakfast as it is high carb and that a suitable replacement might be eggs which are virtually zero carb. You could of course up the amount of bacon or choose bacon with more fat. Here's the data on bacon -
upload_2018-2-25_20-56-31.png

Reactions: LueezBee

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't suggest eggs as fats, you asked if eggs are fats and I've put up the data. Sorry if I confused you. I suggested you cut out the bread from your breakfast as it is high carb and that a suitable replacement might be eggs which are virtually zero carb. You could of course up the amount of bacon or choose bacon with more fat. Here's the data on bacon -
View attachment 25413

Complicated this diet isn't it?

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey It1v14, Good for you for taking such a ride! I would add a few slices of avocado to your bacon and eggs. Also if you have a ***** pack or some such "tote", could you put a chunk of cheese and some nuts in it so that if you start feeling the need for something along the way you would be giving yourself something helpful?

I am assuming you drink water on these treks, but would you have room for another bottle that would have some protein shake in it with some coconut oil or nut butter added to it? Maybe you could get one of those hats that hold two cans of beer and you could put your shake on it and sip as you go!!:) Cheers/L

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Complicated this diet isn't it?
Not really. Just reduce carbs and increase fats. It isn't rocket science. I don't count carbs or anything, but have managed to get my 2TD under control by 'seat of the pants' guestimates of what I'm consuming. I've biked 60 miles over the past three days with no lack of energy problem and I'm a septuagenarian with PVD as well as T2D.

Reactions: CL_in_NZ

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not really. Just reduce carbs and increase fats. It isn't rocket science. I don't count carbs or anything, but have managed to get my 2TD under control by 'seat of the pants' guestimates of what I'm consuming. I've biked 60 miles over the past three days with no lack of energy problem and I'm a septuagenarian with PVD as well as T2D.

Well done!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The fat stuff I understand.
Then you posted some numbers showing eggs?
So are eggs fat, or not?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The fat stuff I understand.
Then you posted some numbers showing eggs?
So are eggs fat, or not?
The data are in the tables I posted. But as a very rough comparison a poached egg is is about half the fat of streaky bacon. Eggs do have some fat, but just how much fat depends on how they are prepared.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The data are in the tables I posted. But as a very rough comparison a poached egg is is about half the fat of streaky bacon. Eggs do have some fat, but just how much fat depends on how they are prepared.
Well, I'm not hot on tables, (unless it's a weighbridge lol) but looking at your tables, the biggest fat number in bacon or eggs is eggs chicken yolk boiled, so I guess that's the fat to go for?
Ignore the bacon, crack on for boiled egg yolks for the ride, you recommend?