"Best" things doctors have said to you

kjjames1972

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart. From check ups. I have no need to bother my doctor much.
But.
Around my 40th birthday, I woke up span out & hit the bed. The room rocked for a second like I was on a boat in a storm. Atl would tilt 45 degrees & as I compensated I fell down. My eyes were telling me the environment was tilting, but my hands when put out said different. Unfortunately, my legs were a bit slow in the loop... So I walked to work. At work I was performing a task later that morning. It happened again & I pitched forward into a fridge.. I realised sudden head movement set it off.. (I don't need to tell you my BS was fine. Though a little elevated.)
I mentioned to my wife later that day. (A little older than me.) is this what being 40 is like? It's s//t!
So after two days of these random symptoms & looking like I had joined "fight club", I went to the doc...

The first thing said was "your diabetic aren't you." After correcting the doc on my knowledge of my hypo symptoms & that I am fully aware. I got an imediate "second opinion." Ear infection. ;)

Yup, welcome to my world of falling over and/or walking into doors ...

Reactions: 2 people

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
About 10 years ago was admitted to a private hospital in the Middle East and was seen by the endocrinologist consultant who told me that if I was taking less than 40 units of insulin a day I didn't need to take it anymore!!!!!! Luckily I had been a T1 for 30 years so knew better. God help any newly diagnosed T1s he treated. Frightening

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Did you ever get to the bottom of it then? I'm not diabetic but my husband is and I could quite happily bang the heads together of the medical professionals who have misdiagnosed patients or not listened to them properly. Drive me up the piggin' wall!!
I ended up having a liver problem but even that was half-diagnosed

clareb1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mean people, cruelty to vulnerable people and animals. Ignorance of what the human race is doing to our planet. Arrogance and selfishness.
Oh my days!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
If I'd not read these, I would never have thought that medical staff can be so ... (what's the word?) ... half-witted :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

I think you should remember that this Dr was a stand in who did not work at your hospital. There is a high chance he/she will not have had chance to read yours or anyone else’s notes prior to the start of the clinic. No doubt the Dr was dragged in at the last minute, without being briefed on the general routine of the clinic.

The Dr did ask if you had any questions and did not feed you inaccurate info (out of interest, why did you need to know the exact date of diagnosis?). My experience of attending a lot of busy clinics is that they tend to run only on the basis that regular staff are used to their own routine, rather than following a process.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was in DKA and as yet undiagnosed. It was 3 days before Christmas and I’d been unable to get up and down stairs unless I slid down on my bum or climbed on my hands and knees for a few days now.
I was finding breathing very difficult.

GP. There are three things you could have, epilepsy, pneumonia or diabetes. We need to do some tests. Will you still be here after Christmas?

Reactions: dbr10

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Two spring to mind.
My Mum took me to the doctors the day after my 15th birthday because all I did was sleep and drink. Doctor did a glucose test with the result saying 'reading too high for machine' (or similar). He looked at me and said 'you should be dead young lady! Mum fainted and banged her head. Result - both of us carted off to hospital.

Second one was a medicine review at a new surgery. Similar to this has happened before as well
Dr: I don't understand why you don't have a long acting insulin on your repeat prescription
Me: I am on a pump so don't need one
Dr: What are you talking about, of course you do. Your morning readings must be so high
Me: No, they are usually between 4 and 5.
Dr: You must have a faulty test kit
Me: No, I am on a pump. It continually drip feeds novorapid into me
Dr: Yes, but what about your long acting insulin?
Me: I don't need it
Dr: Of course you do. You are type 1 aren't you?
Me: Yes - I have been for 25 years and I am on an insulin pump.
Dr: I am going to change your prescription. You have used lantus and levimir in the past. Which worked best for you?
Me: I will make another appointment with someone who understands insulin pumps

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GP upon my exciedly announcing my first type 1 pregnancy:

Ohhhh. Don't get too excited. Lots of things can go very wrong with your condition....Cue immediate deflation on my part as my pregnancy got medicalised.

My personal bug bear though is to be asked IS IT WELL CONTROLLED?

Answer - today maybe, not sure about tomorrow or last week!

Btw saw a great You Tube clip for type 1s featuring UK GP Dr Ian Lake who is a type 1 himself (see Public Health Collaboration ). There is hope! We can opt out of doctor interactions as much as possible or try some education.

D

Deleted member 308541

I would like hear more of this from my GP, "We will bulk bill this procedure".

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 13 when diagnosed in 1981 and I was admitted to hospital and was in there for 2 weeks being stabilised.

I was due to be discharged awaiting a final meeting with a Dr and when he came with his "entourage" this brief but ridiculous interaction took place

(This is what I remember!)

Dr - So then Bernard, we were going to discharge you today but we are going to keep you in for a few more days as we are not happy with your sugar levels.

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Sorry !

Me - I'm not Bernard

Dr - Who are you ?

Me - I'm Kevin

Dr - Your not Bernard Fitzpatrick !

Me - No I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Your notes say your Bernard Fitzpatrick

Me - I'm not Bernard Fitzpatrick I'm Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - Nurse can you confirm this

Nurse - Yes this is Kevin Fitzgerald

Dr - I think I've got the wrong notes !

Sort of similar to a situation I had. I went to the young adults diabetic clinic (for the first time after seeing paediatric team previously) the doctor repeated called me by another name (I think it was Lauren I just remember it began with an L) told me he was taking my insulin away as I ‘no longer had diabetes’ I stormed out of that appointment as he was convinced I was called Lauren (or whatever name it was) fast forward three weeks down the line, turns out the doctor had been struck off...

Reactions: Dodo

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Ambulance control have come out with some belters

Came home a couple of months back from work, to find hubby in a hypo, crashed out on top of the collapsed ironing board....

He's gone to treat an hypo, as luccozade is on the corner of the table, and his meter and test strips on the floor next to him, I dialed 999, not only explaining what is wrong with hubby (I had tested he's 1.8mmol/l) but due to his position face down, tangled in the ironing board, he's trapped and I can't move him to get anything in him, and I've just got in from work after a 12 hour shift!

Started Q&A

AC....

In the last half hour, has he suffered any pain, excessive bleeding (I cut in here)

Me..I've only been home for 3 minutes wouldn't know..

AC... Is he currently experience any chest pains?

Me... Well, he's semi conscious not verbally responding, but going by my experience working in dementia care, I would say he wasn't showing signs that could indicate pain...

AC.... Have you given him a gluogen injection..

Me, No as I haven't seen my husband for 14 hours, and I've just arrived home so haven't got a clue how long he's been hypo for, so don't know if he's got anything in his liver to dump!
----------------------------------------------------------
At the beginning of the year I had to deal with a paramedic...

The dogs woke me, to say hubby's having an hypo and still asleep.. I try to wake him but missed the opportunity to get luccozade into him, and he's starting to get quite combative with me...

So I decided trying to a glucogen injection into him, isn't going to work without an high risk of getting thumped by flaring arms.. Hit 999

Crew turn up, I lead the way upstairs to our bedroom where hubby is... giving the paramedic the details on the way..

Paramedic starts to make his primarily assessment and hubby is agitated and combative, as the paramedic tries to treat hubby the more agitated he's getting.. So paramedic decides for safety a police back up is required just in case he's physical restraining and hands cuffed to stop him hitting out...

So the tech radio's back to control to arrange for police back up..

As she's doing this, the paramedic clocks the glucogen kit on the side.. and demands to know why I hadn't injected him, and I should have etc etc...

I just looked at him, and said for the very same reasons you're calling for back up!
-------------------------------------------------

But the best one which left we slightly speechless as I wasn't expecting the comment

After several months of suffering from what I thought was trigger finger, and it had really become very painful etc, I thought it was time to take myself off to my gp... I couldn't book in with my normal GP so saw on of the others.. She's very nice as well

She confirmed that I was right, told me that diabetics are more prone to this and other legiment issues ect, explained about possible treatments and what to do in the short term...

She then said, mind you it does give you an advantage in work..

You can make rude signs without landing yourself in a disciplinary hearing....
How on earth did you not thump anyone? Magic self control,I certainly wouldn't have been able to contain myself

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My first visit to a consultant. She had my notes in front of her which said 'severely clinically depressed with previous suicide attempts'. She started out by saying I wasn't being careful enough with my insulin. Just one syringe full into a vein, and I would quickly fall into a completely painless coma and die. I stuttered and said 'have you seen my notes'. She then said 'emotional blackmail won't work with me' and looked surprised as I stood up and walked out.

I did write to the hospital management suggesting that telling suicidal patients how to easily and painlessly kill themselves was possibly not good medical practice. They responded and told me I was free to go to a different hospital.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A view from atype 2
I was in hospital and a surgeon was talking to a relative at my bedside about me ( after all I was only a patient, so why should he talk to me?) he proceeded to tell my realtive
“Diabetic feet are just like bars of chocolate. You promise yourself that you’ll only have one bite, but once youve started you cant stop and you just keep coming back for more”
The surgeons surname rhymed with anchor - I was very pleased to find out what the nurses called him!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A view from atype 2
I was in hospital and a surgeon was talking to a relative at my bedside about me ( after all I was only a patient, so why should he talk to me?) he proceeded to tell my realtive
“Diabetic feet are just like bars of chocolate. You promise yourself that you’ll only have one bite, but once youve started you cant stop and you just keep coming back for more”
The surgeons surname rhymed with anchor - I was very pleased to find out what the nurses called him!
He does sounds like a right anchor!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A view from atype 2

I am still going to be thinking about that in a year.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Sort of similar to a situation I had. I went to the young adults diabetic clinic (for the first time after seeing paediatric team previously) the doctor repeated called me by another name (I think it was Lauren I just remember it began with an L) told me he was taking my insulin away as I ‘no longer had diabetes’ I stormed out of that appointment as he was convinced I was called Lauren (or whatever name it was) fast forward three weeks down the line, turns out the doctor had been struck off...

It is scary really. With my situation "Bernard" who was in the ward with me and who was really struggling. His family kept bringing him chocolates and take outs against the fury of the nurses and Drs (none of them had any idea whatsoever) was actually discharged a couple of days early as they mistook him for me!.. And later I came to realise I should have been discharged sooner... Absolute lunacy!..

My lot should really have got into serious trouble but they actually got away with it.. Maybe that's why the Nurses let me stay up late one night to watch "Jaws" with them! Ha... I often wonder how Bernard is doing!

Hoping all's ok with you Jade and that things aren't too bad..

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great thread! I've only been diagnosed 6 months and my favourite so far....
Visit A&E with suspected broken rib. Write on the admission form that I was diagnosed T1D in that department 10 weeks prior. Triage nurse crosses out T1 and scribbled T2 over it. When I correct her she tells me I'm much too old for T1 so I am wrong. Me: no, definitely T1 I'm even showing positive on 2 antibody tests. Her: well what medication are you taking then? Me: well I've written it on the form it's lantus and novorapid. Her: you'd be taking insulin if you were T1. Me: they ARE insulin!

In the run up to diagnosis my GP had assumed I was type 2 and gave me tablets and told me to test my BG over the next few days. BG kept rising so I phoned surgery only to be told by one of the GPs that she didn't 'do diabetics' so I needed to wait until Wed until one of her colleagues was in. A&E 48 hours later....

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A view from atype 2
“Diabetic feet are just like bars of chocolate. You promise yourself that you’ll only have one bite, but once youve started you cant stop and you just keep coming back for more!
As they say in the business; SAMARI SURGERY!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread! I've only been diagnosed 6 months and my favourite so far....
Visit A&E with suspected broken rib. Write on the admission form that I was diagnosed T1D in that department 10 weeks prior. Triage nurse crosses out T1 and scribbled T2 over it. When I correct her she tells me I'm much too old for T1 so I am wrong. Me: no, definitely T1 I'm even showing positive on 2 antibody tests. Her: well what medication are you taking then? Me: well I've written it on the form it's lantus and novorapid. Her: you'd be taking insulin if you were T1. Me: they ARE insulin!

In the run up to diagnosis my GP had assumed I was type 2 and gave me tablets and told me to test my BG over the next few days. BG kept rising so I phoned surgery only to be told by one of the GPs that she didn't 'do diabetics' so I needed to wait until Wed until one of her colleagues was in. A&E 48 hours later....
I had the reverse thing re age!
I was diagnosed when I was admitted to hospital with a raging infection ( gp screw up) and bs of 28. I was put on an insulin pump ( quite a big bit of kit that sat on a trolley behind my bed and had to come walkies with me whenever I went to the loo etc)
When sugers were at a better level a member of the diabetes team came and said “ Im going to prescribe you insulin and needles and youll be injecting for the rest of your life”. I asked her why some of the nurses had said I might manage on tablets or diet to which she replied “ thats stupid, thatll never work at your age, you’re only in your 20’s”
I think she was a bit confused when I pointed out I was actually going to be 40 in a few weeks as her first response was to ask me if I was sure! then after she’d checked my date of birth she said shed prescribe some tablets (Gliclazide as it turned out) and come back in a week to see how I was getting on - never saw her again and 21 years later Im on the same meds at the same dose, albeit with a carb tolerance that has gone from around 35g per meal to aroud et-50g a day

Last edited:

Hoppy59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not me but my Uncle who's a Type One, Diagnosed at 13, now 62.- At diagnosis after being admitted to hospital with DKA, being told by some bright spark he'd be lucky to live to 40!
I had that too! Was told I wouldn't live to see 40! Must have been the same consultant!!!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is scary really. With my situation "Bernard" who was in the ward with me and who was really struggling. His family kept bringing him chocolates and take outs against the fury of the nurses and Drs (none of them had any idea whatsoever) was actually discharged a couple of days early as they mistook him for me!.. And later I came to realise I should have been discharged sooner... Absolute lunacy!..

My lot should really have got into serious trouble but they actually got away with it.. Maybe that's why the Nurses let me stay up late one night to watch "Jaws" with them! Ha... I often wonder how Bernard is doing!

Hoping all's ok with you Jade and that things aren't too bad..
Not good when they get patients mixed up. It was years ago now when I was admitted to hospital because I was going to be induced. I was put in my own room and when the sister came to register my details she called me a liar when I replied that my husband was my next of kin. She informed me that I wasn't married and wanted my father's name. Then I was given a physical examination that was more like torture. By the time my husband got there I was a nervous wreck and in tears. It seems they had mixed me up with a girl who was bought in from a nearby prison to have her baby. My consultant soon had me moved to the ward I should have been in. The 'prisoner' later absconded before giving birth and took money and jewellery from other patients on her way out, wearing just her nightie, dressing gown and slippers.

Then two weeks later, after giving birth, I was mistaken for another diabetic lady. We were testing our own urine and noting our records. She was showing high sugars whereas mine were good. The nurse had mixed our notes up and my consultant wanted to give me a large insulin dose. When I explained the mistake he threatened to have the nurse thrown out of the hospital because of the possible consequences.

Always worried now about being admitted to hospital as twice in less than three weeks was scary.