Metformin Stop Effect

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday i stopped using metformin. This morning I chek bg my fast 4.7. Someone said that metformin effect will run out after 2 days to 1 week.

After that BG fasting will rise approximately 25%. does anyone have such experience?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That is rubbish IMHO and personal experience backs that up.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My BS didn't change at all. If anything they dropped, coincident with diet change and a radical exercise regime that gained me far more than metformin ever could. It ain't a crutch, least not for me

Last edited:
Reactions: Skunna64

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BS didn't change at all. If anything they dropped, coincident with diet change and a radical exercise regime that gained me far more than metformin ever could. It ain't a crutch, least not for me
Thanks mike

snowmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would expect a rise... and also keep a tight rein on diet if you (like me) get some mild appetite suppression from Metformin.

Interested in your findings...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped Metformin - though I could only manage to take it and the statin for about 5 weeks.
After that I felt that life might possibly be worth living again - nothing else seemed to happen,

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After that BG fasting will rise approximately 25%. does anyone have such experience?

Utter nonsense in my experience.

I used Metformin for about 2 1/2 months after first being diagnosed, and noticed absolutely no difference to my BG levels after I stopped.

I fact they continued improving.........

A 25% rise would have meant my FBG would have risen from 5.5 to nearly 7 :arghh:. There is no way Metformin could have that affect on anyone, it has a much much smaller affect on your BG.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Utter nonsense in my experience.

I used Metformin for about 2 1/2 months after first being diagnosed, and noticed absolutely no difference to my BG levels after I stopped.

I fact they continued improving.........

A 25% rise would have meant my FBG would have risen from 5.5 to nearly 7 :arghh:. There is no way Metformin could have that affect on anyone, it has a much much smaller affect on your BG.
today may fasting BG also same with yesterday, i hope i can control it without metformin, thanks

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped Metformin - though I could only manage to take it and the statin for about 5 weeks.
After that I felt that life might possibly be worth living again - nothing else seemed to happen,
manage about 5 weeks? after that your BG up again?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
manage about 5 weeks? after that your BG up again?
Oh no - I went from BG readings of 17.1mmol/l at diagnosis to about 8 after meals in 80 days.
My Hba1c went from 91 to 47 in the same time.
I was so ill taking Metformin and a statin, far worse than the undiagnosed diabetes.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no - I went from BG readings of 17.1mmol/l at diagnosis to about 8 after meals in 80 days.
My Hba1c went from 91 to 47 in the same time.
I was so ill taking Metformin and a statin, far worse than the undiagnosed diabetes.
oooo yes, many thanks for your sharing

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I took Metformin 2x day for two and a half years stopped suddenly last November as had made such radical changes in my diet including 23/1 fasting for a month that my blood glucose dropped dramatically and the Metformin started to have severe side effects on my digestion so just stopped it altogether.
I expected it would impact me after so long but in fact I didn’t notice a difference apart from possibly the rate of drop slowed a bit but still a downward trend. Not taken Metformin since that date my average bloods are now in the mid 4s and am normal weight. So controlled by diet now.
Good thing about Metformin too is that it dosent appear to be addictive I felt no withdrawal and had no effects apart from my digestion being loads better in a matter of days!

Reactions: DJC3

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking about starting Met for a while. I have read quite a lot about it improving many things but for me most importantly is it improves the morning liver dump if you have such a thing. And this I need to do as mine is marching ever upwards regardless of carbs (sub 20 nearly every day). I noticed many members but not all - who took it for a while - have a much improved BG. Most put it down to the diet alone but I just wonder if signalling effect they have and the reduced IR as a result is a long term and underestimated effect?

Anyway - spoke to Dr today who is a lovely guy and supportive, wants to do a BG test first but is worried that it would give me hypos. I love the guy but has anyone heard of met giving anyone a hypo? I thought that chemically impossible.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
does anyone have such experience?

There isn't going to be a hard and fast rule, we're all very different and will have different experiences.

When I stopped there was an increase in BG after several days possibly weeks. Same thing when I restarted, it took some weeks for a change to be recognised.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was thinking about starting Met for a while. I have read quite a lot about it improving many things but for me most importantly is it improves the morning liver dump if you have such a thing. And this I need to do as mine is marching ever upwards regardless of carbs (sub 20 nearly every day). I noticed many members but not all - who took it for a while - have a much improved BG. Most put it down to the diet alone but I just wonder if signalling effect they have and the reduced IR as a result is a long term and underestimated effect?

Anyway - spoke to Dr today who is a lovely guy and supportive, wants to do a BG test first but is worried that it would give me hypos. I love the guy but has anyone heard of met giving anyone a hypo? I thought that chemically impossible.

Nothing is impossible, but a hypo from Metformin is very unlikely.
It is supposed to mainly reduce uptake of glucose from the gut, reduce glucose output from the liver (which should help with dawn phenomenon) and improve insulin sensitivity.
Non-prescribed benefits may include anti-inflammatory effects, and reduction in other risks such as dementia and perhaps increased longevity. Allegedly.

I am torn between going drug free and the possible intangible benefits of Metformin.

I will say that perhaps you should double check your diet because something is putting the glucose in your liver for it to dump back out again.

Reactions: Incyb and Speedbird

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing at all happened to my glucose levels when I stopped taking metformin - statins yes - I saw a definite drop after stopping them but they're known to raise glucose. The main things that change my readings are firstly my diet, then health, some medications e.g the statins and also corticosteroids which caused a very definite increase for several days after a single injection, and occasionally other issues such as high stress can also cause a rise. But certainly not metformin for me.

Robbity

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed a change of about 1 to 1.5 mmol/l when my surgery swapped out my standard Metformin for Sukkarto. This is a new formulation of Met, but has a different slow release coating that I was unable to metabolise because my PPI med interferred with digestion. I went back onto standard Met, and my levels dropped back again quite quickly.

I am on 2 gram of the stuff a day, i,e, max dose. I keep it up because there are claims that it helps reduce risk of CVE and I have had a couple of those now and don't need any more. It also helps reduce carb craving and keeps my appetite in check. But it doesnt suit everyone. I do get lactoacidosis now, so I am cutting it down,

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Metformin is a stabiliser.
It tries to keep things lower but not too low. Ive never had a hypo on the metformin only treatment. Ever.
Some have thou..

It regulates liver glucose output. A little.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing is impossible, but a hypo from Metformin is very unlikely.
It is supposed to mainly reduce uptake of glucose from the gut, reduce glucose output from the liver (which should help with dawn phenomenon) and improve insulin sensitivity.
Non-prescribed benefits may include anti-inflammatory effects, and reduction in other risks such as dementia and perhaps increased longevity. Allegedly.

I am torn between going drug free and the possible intangible benefits of Metformin.

I will say that perhaps you should double check your diet because something is putting the glucose in your liver for it to dump back out again.
Even 30g carbs is over 7mmol of glucose add on to that protein from a meal and there is plenty there for the old liver to suck up and spit out particularly if you produce a high level of cortisol. And if that signalling is broken and you are IR as I assume I am or produce next to no Insulin then you have it.