Any finger stabbers out there?

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Out of curiosity, is there anybody else who is not bothered by pain and just 'stabs' their finger with a lancet, without using one of those (in my opinion barbaric,) finger prickers?

I like to be in control of lancing my finger. They didn't exist in 1979 when I was diagnosed age 10, and I have always shuddered at the thought of using one.:stop:, and I can guarantee I will NEVER be converted!:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

is there anybody else who just 'stabs' their finger with a lancet, without using one of those finger prickers?
I prefer to use a lancing device such as my Accu-Chek Fastclix, than stabbing myself with a nail.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't known anything different myself. I too use the Fastclix and I find the depth variation great and now know which number for which fingers/thumbs!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haven't known anything different myself. I too use the Fastclix and I find the depth variation great and now know which number for which fingers/thumbs!
No, I much prefer the old fashioned self stabbing strategy, I have never known anything else! @db89 :)

Reactions: db89

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I used to stab myself with a lancet and often it really really hurt. Much prefer the device that clips on the side of my accu-chek mobile!

Reactions: Madmaureen

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to hate those lancets, you'd rest your finger on a table and whack it, and just the memory makes me cringe :p

Newly diagnosed in '84 I remember lancets being the most hated part of diabetes, I hated them with a passion and certainly wouldn't test 10x a day if that was all that was available.

I'll come back with an edit, it wasn't the pain that made me pull a face, but the 'whacking' action, I slept at my mums last night as she's ill (91yr old :) ) and am sat at the same kitchen table I first ate at as a T1 reminiscing. There's even a few U100 syringes and a blue lancet in a cupboard :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Madmaureen

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Out of curiosity, is there anybody else who is not bothered by pain and just 'stabs' their finger with a lancet, without using one of those (in my opinion barbaric,) finger prickers?

Yes, I'm a stabber, not because I'm frightened by fingerpricking devices but because it's another gadget that I would have to carry with me, and lancets are much less bulky than fingerpricking gadgets... Plus, I also don't have to worry about running out of lancets as I just buy a pack of whatever the pharmacy has to hand, which last me for months and months and months....

Reactions: Picci

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I'm a stabber, not because I'm frightened by fingerpricking devices but because it's another gadget that I would have to carry with me, and lancets are much less bulky than fingerpricking gadgets... Plus, I also don't have to worry about running out of lancets as I just buy a pack of whatever the pharmacy has to hand, which last me for months and months and months....
Yay! Someone like me! I thought I was the only one in the world. For me @EllieM it is the fact I am in control of it. I have little blue lancets stashed all over the place, just in case! :happy:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a stabby person. I just want to get it over with rather than fiddling with a thing I couldn't figure out at first. It makes me nervous, for some reason. It's more trouble than it's worth, to mee. And I don't mind a little pain.

Reactions: Prem51 and Picci

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I may contemplate this. Both of the finger prickers I have vary wildly in depth for a given setting. Only today, I tested myself at my desk (got my SD Codefree on me today as my prescription Glucomen strips have not turned up at the pharmacy because of snow!) and it went a bit deep. When I squeezed to get my blob, I erupted in a jet and left a line of red splatters over my shoulder and across mine and my (mortified) colleague's desk.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I like to be in control of lancing my finger. They didn't exist in 1979 when I was diagnosed age 10, and I have always shuddered at the thought of using one.:stop:, and I can guarantee I will NEVER be converted!:)

Hi,

Yeah, I had no problem breaking the protector seal off the old single lancet & using a manual action to draw blood.

Though, I find the fast clix 6 unit change drum in the pricker device pretty good these days.!

You do what you gotta do to draw blood at the end of the day... :)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to use a lancing device such as my Accu-Chek Fastclix, than stabbing myself with a nail.

Another fast clix fan here! I like having the barrel of 6, and I like being able to stab manually. I had another accuchek stabber when I first started (multiclix I think) which had you push a button, then it stabbed you. I much prefer doing it all myself, not only is it less painful but I can draw blood better.

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to stab but now use a finger pricker. When I first had a finger pricker I was sat there for 2-3 minutes trying to press the release button but not doing it cause of the pain I'd inflict so went with the manual stab option but now I use a pricker on the lowest setting despite working in a warehouse and using my hands all day.