climbing back on the wagon

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
about 4 days ago i fell off the wagon rather a lot, with a recurrence of my eating disorder big time. I have now stopped myself again, and recognised the trigger.

But I know I have 3 days or so ahead of me to come down from my high blood sugar levels and overcome the carb cravings.

so I am going to us this thread to whinge, moan and generally talk myself through this.

onwards and upwards.

any advice on dealing with the cravings welcome.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry this happened to you, but I'm sure you aren't alone in falling off the wagon big time. I can't really help as I'm lucky not to have cravings at all (which doesn't mean to say I behave all the time). At least you have found the trigger after only 4 days and been brave enough to write about your issues here, so that is a big positive. Whinge and moan away. People are listening.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all human and bound to have blips along the way. Great that you have recognised your trigger and stopped it in it's tracks.
Whinge and moan all you like, we're here to support you xx

Reactions: SaskiaKC

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Lucylocket61, hugs and more hugs!! I'm proud of you and you should be too:
1) You "confessed" to the world by writing about it here
2) You recognized your triggers(s)
3)You pulled yourself up and said STOP IT
4) You know you are going to have a couple or three unpleasant days of BG readings that you won't be thrilled with

So:
1) You are forgiven because you are only human like the rest of us and you will carry on.....I didn't feel the earth shift when this happened...you are strong and you can do this!!
2) Perhaps you could journal about what happened, why this proved to be a trigger, what to do next time this trigger occurs, as it likely will....be prepared!
3) You are back in control, even though you may feel a little shaky at the moment, each day will get better....
4) This too shall pass and your levels will be back in their happy range and you will feel empowered because you got a good grip of the situation
5) You are not this situation - you are a winner and a champ - go buy yourself another craft:)

I know exactly where you are coming from as I have mentioned in other posts about the devilish thing in my head that goes off on me once in a while and I do the same thing...Now I just tell myself that all that horrible stuff about me being a loser, etc. is just horrible lies and I will not fall for it any longer....I buy coloring books(!) and get lost in those, with lovely music playing in the background, a cuppa chi tea or a good decaf with cream and it passes.

Be kind to yourself, Lucylocket61....there is only one of you and you are precious, unique and loved by many. Blessings/L

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 - just want to say well done for halting it and sounds from what you say that anytime you come off the wagon you are learning more about your triggers, so each time it teaches you something that will help you in the future.

As far as carb cravings go, maybe up your fat and/or protein for the next few days to help satisfy your hunger pangs and even out any bs highs and lows?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is a difficult one, as you are trying to overcome life time familarities. What has worked for me was educating the mind. So for example the history of potatoes, how they were poisonous initially, rice how it has the largest amount of natural arsenic and is very low fibre, pasta and most commercial bread, how it is made out of hi glycaemic flour. This rationale and a desire to live symptom free and the fact that most of these foods on their own are quite bland and carriers of flavour for the main food such as curry.

Sweet has been a bit more difficult, as I love Apple/ Cherry pie. So now I / we make our own using almond flour pastry and Granny Smith's apples, with Greek yogurt for a custard substitute. For the last 2 days I have had cheese on toast at dinner time to test flax bread (with black bomber cheese unbelieveable). Also test sunflour crackers (massive hit at home and with my wife's patients).

So in summary I would advise further education and substitution. Learn to cook your favourite items and perfect the recipe.

Reactions: mondFi and therower

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 - A big well done, picking out your trigger and realising a switch back to be required. Those pesky EDs can get in the way when least expected.

I rarely have cravings, and when I do it can be for the most bonkers of things. A couple of weeks ago it was for pork crunch, so not even anything on the naughty scale, but it's an unsettling time when whatever it is seems quite important for no rational reason. Of course craving carbs after a meandering off your usual lower carb way of eating is understandable, so don't beat yourself up over it.

You've taken steps to do what you need to do, so try to stick with it. Every hour you reject your craving is an hour closer to the craving withering. Good luck with it all.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. Day 1: I am in a foul mood and shaky. which is to be expected. I have had my coffee with double cream and will tough it out until lunchtime, where cheese and salad is planned.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers, drinking my coffee and cream now.
Make that salad special with a homemade dressing ? Hubby hates salad but will enjoy it if I drizzle this on. Tablespoon of olive oil. Half tablespoon lemon juice and a quarter teaspoon of mustard. I use the milder french one or the grainy one, just mix well and drizzle.
Stick at it x

Reactions: mondFi

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tea tonight will be roast chicken, green veg and lots of butter.

I managed a 10 mins swim today, which has helped my mood, but still looking for a fight!!

I had forgotten how bad loads of carbs makes me feel.

Reactions: Petrel

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
another day down................it was tough, but the Big Breakfast (without beans or toast) helped.

I didnt sleep well last night, but am feeling less drop dead tired this evening.

another 24 hours and I should be over the worst. i am having home made beef broth tomorrow, and tuna salad in the evening

Reactions: Alison Campbell

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finished with an 18 hour fast - the maximum I have managed without feeling bad. I think the two cups of Bovril helped.

I still have that 'empty mouth' feeling, but the physical craving sensation has gone.

Thank you all for your support xxx

Reactions: Petrel

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pleased at how well you are doing, in your corner and hoping your cravings continue to decrease