1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

climbing back on the wagon

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by lucylocket61, Mar 5, 2018.

1. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

about 4 days ago i fell off the wagon rather a lot, with a recurrence of my eating disorder big time. I have now stopped myself again, and recognised the trigger.

But I know I have 3 days or so ahead of me to come down from my high blood sugar levels and overcome the carb cravings.

so I am going to us this thread to whinge, moan and generally talk myself through this.

onwards and upwards.

any advice on dealing with the cravings welcome.

• Hug Hug x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I am sorry this happened to you, but I'm sure you aren't alone in falling off the wagon big time. I can't really help as I'm lucky not to have cravings at all (which doesn't mean to say I behave all the time). At least you have found the trigger after only 4 days and been brave enough to write about your issues here, so that is a big positive. Whinge and moan away. People are listening.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We are all human and bound to have blips along the way. Great that you have recognised your trigger and stopped it in it's tracks.
    Whinge and moan all you like, we're here to support you xx

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey Lucylocket61, hugs and more hugs!! I'm proud of you and you should be too:
    1) You "confessed" to the world by writing about it here
    2) You recognized your triggers(s)
    3)You pulled yourself up and said STOP IT
    4) You know you are going to have a couple or three unpleasant days of BG readings that you won't be thrilled with

So:
    1) You are forgiven because you are only human like the rest of us and you will carry on.....I didn't feel the earth shift when this happened...you are strong and you can do this!!
    2) Perhaps you could journal about what happened, why this proved to be a trigger, what to do next time this trigger occurs, as it likely will....be prepared!
    3) You are back in control, even though you may feel a little shaky at the moment, each day will get better....
    4) This too shall pass and your levels will be back in their happy range and you will feel empowered because you got a good grip of the situation
    5) You are not this situation - you are a winner and a champ - go buy yourself another craft:)

I know exactly where you are coming from as I have mentioned in other posts about the devilish thing in my head that goes off on me once in a while and I do the same thing...Now I just tell myself that all that horrible stuff about me being a loser, etc. is just horrible lies and I will not fall for it any longer....I buy coloring books(!) and get lost in those, with lovely music playing in the background, a cuppa chi tea or a good decaf with cream and it passes.

Be kind to yourself, Lucylocket61....there is only one of you and you are precious, unique and loved by many. Blessings/L

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@lucylocket61 - just want to say well done for halting it and sounds from what you say that anytime you come off the wagon you are learning more about your triggers, so each time it teaches you something that will help you in the future.

As far as carb cravings go, maybe up your fat and/or protein for the next few days to help satisfy your hunger pangs and even out any bs highs and lows?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

This is a difficult one, as you are trying to overcome life time familarities. What has worked for me was educating the mind. So for example the history of potatoes, how they were poisonous initially, rice how it has the largest amount of natural arsenic and is very low fibre, pasta and most commercial bread, how it is made out of hi glycaemic flour. This rationale and a desire to live symptom free and the fact that most of these foods on their own are quite bland and carriers of flavour for the main food such as curry.

Sweet has been a bit more difficult, as I love Apple/ Cherry pie. So now I / we make our own using almond flour pastry and Granny Smith's apples, with Greek yogurt for a custard substitute. For the last 2 days I have had cheese on toast at dinner time to test flax bread (with black bomber cheese unbelieveable). Also test sunflour crackers (massive hit at home and with my wife's patients).

So in summary I would advise further education and substitution. Learn to cook your favourite items and perfect the recipe.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@lucylocket61 - A big well done, picking out your trigger and realising a switch back to be required. Those pesky EDs can get in the way when least expected.

I rarely have cravings, and when I do it can be for the most bonkers of things. A couple of weeks ago it was for pork crunch, so not even anything on the naughty scale, but it's an unsettling time when whatever it is seems quite important for no rational reason. Of course craving carbs after a meandering off your usual lower carb way of eating is understandable, so don't beat yourself up over it.

You've taken steps to do what you need to do, so try to stick with it. Every hour you reject your craving is an hour closer to the craving withering. Good luck with it all.

• Like Like x 4
  8. lucylocket61

OK. Day 1: I am in a foul mood and shaky. which is to be expected. I have had my coffee with double cream and will tough it out until lunchtime, where cheese and salad is planned.

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  9. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cheers, drinking my coffee and cream now.
    Make that salad special with a homemade dressing ? Hubby hates salad but will enjoy it if I drizzle this on. Tablespoon of olive oil. Half tablespoon lemon juice and a quarter teaspoon of mustard. I use the milder french one or the grainy one, just mix well and drizzle.
    Stick at it x

• Like Like x 1
  10. lucylocket61

tea tonight will be roast chicken, green veg and lots of butter.

I managed a 10 mins swim today, which has helped my mood, but still looking for a fight!!

I had forgotten how bad loads of carbs makes me feel.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. lucylocket61

s*d the calories, I just had a load of ham and full fat mayo, with some lettuce wrapped round it. Now is not the time to get hungry.

chicken is roasting.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. lucylocket61

one day down, I can do this, I CAN do this!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Mufflana

Mufflana Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Yes you can! With you all the way, lnow rhose feelongs all to well, hang in, you have support here

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey Lucylocket, trust your day is going well for you....Thinking about you/L

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. lucylocket61

another day down................it was tough, but the Big Breakfast (without beans or toast) helped.

I didnt sleep well last night, but am feeling less drop dead tired this evening.

another 24 hours and I should be over the worst. i am having home made beef broth tomorrow, and tuna salad in the evening

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Bluetit1802

You are nearly at the end of the tunnel, and tomorrow you will be even nearer. Keep chugging along and you will get there.

• Like Like x 2
  17. lucylocket61

I finished with an 18 hour fast - the maximum I have managed without feeling bad. I think the two cups of Bovril helped.

I still have that 'empty mouth' feeling, but the physical craving sensation has gone.

Thank you all for your support xxx

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bluetit1802

Well done Lucy .... let's hope your efforts have paid off. :)

19. Mufflana

Mufflana Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Pleased at how well you are doing, in your corner and hoping your cravings continue to decrease

20. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great work, hope it gets easier for you x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook