"Best" things doctors have said to you

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must be one of the lucky ones as my GP or nurse have never said anything silly to me about diabetes. It is things that other people say mostly that my diagnosis must be wrong because "you have to be fat to have diabetes " but then that's what the media say so we can't blame those who think it is right but it is worrying that those who are not over weight think they will never get it

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great thread! I've only been diagnosed 6 months and my favourite so far....
Visit A&E with suspected broken rib. Write on the admission form that I was diagnosed T1D in that department 10 weeks prior. Triage nurse crosses out T1 and scribbled T2 over it. When I correct her she tells me I'm much too old for T1 so I am wrong. Me: no, definitely T1 I'm even showing positive on 2 antibody tests. Her: well what medication are you taking then? Me: well I've written it on the form it's lantus and novorapid. Her: you'd be taking insulin if you were T1. Me: they ARE insulin!

In the run up to diagnosis my GP had assumed I was type 2 and gave me tablets and told me to test my BG over the next few days. BG kept rising so I phoned surgery only to be told by one of the GPs that she didn't 'do diabetics' so I needed to wait until Wed until one of her colleagues was in. A&E 48 hours later....

And this is the script for the new Carry on Doctor film I presume..............:eek:

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Not good when they get patients mixed up. It was years ago now when I was admitted to hospital because I was going to be induced. I was put in my own room and when the sister came to register my details she called me a liar when I replied that my husband was my next of kin. She informed me that I wasn't married and wanted my father's name. Then I was given a physical examination that was more like torture. By the time my husband got there I was a nervous wreck and in tears. It seems they had mixed me up with a girl who was bought in from a nearby prison to have her baby. My consultant soon had me moved to the ward I should have been in. The 'prisoner' later absconded before giving birth and took money and jewellery from other patients on her way out, wearing just her nightie, dressing gown and slippers.

Then two weeks later, after giving birth, I was mistaken for another diabetic lady. We were testing our own urine and noting our records. She was showing high sugars whereas mine were good. The nurse had mixed our notes up and my consultant wanted to give me a large insulin dose. When I explained the mistake he threatened to have the nurse thrown out of the hospital because of the possible consequences.

Always worried now about being admitted to hospital as twice in less than three weeks was scary.

Oh my!..... That is absolutely hideous and beyond belief.. I am in awe of how awful that must have been for you..

If it wasn't so frightening it would be funny.. Absolutely unbelievable!.. Your experience has actually made me angry just thinking about it. I would have struggled getting over that. Honestly..

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my!..... That is absolutely hideous and beyond belief.. I am in awe of how awful that must have been for you..

If it wasn't so frightening it would be funny.. Absolutely unbelievable!.. Your experience has actually made me angry just thinking about it. I would have struggled getting over that. Honestly..
43 years later I do sometimes think about it, especially when my son's birthday comes round. I was only 20 at the time so was really scared. If I was as experienced and wise as I now am, there would have been hell to pay. At the end of day though, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and I would have gone through it all again to have had him.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a lighter note, on the subject of funny things that have been said to you, when taking my blood, the nurse at my local diabetic clinic was surprised that I was still a diabetic after so many years. She said that you often grow out of it when you get older. When I just looked at her (not knowing how to respond), she realised what she had said. It seems she had been confusing diabetes with asthma.

Fatima_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
my hba1c was 46, the dietician told me to look to increase my hba1c.. ?? (because i have some hypos) and told me to relax my control

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
43 years later I do sometimes think about it, especially when my son's birthday comes round. I was only 20 at the time so was really scared. If I was as experienced and wise as I now am, there would have been hell to pay. At the end of day though, I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and I would have gone through it all again to have had him.

Salutations to you. Your son must be equally as proud and loving of you as you are of him..

Reactions: Dodo

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my hba1c was 46, the dietician told me to look to increase my hba1c.. ?? (because i have some hypos) and told me to relax my control

Depends how bad the hypos are...obviously a few in the range 3.6-4.0 are not very dangerous (normal people get there all the time!), and absolutely impossible to avoid unless you run perpetually high. But if you are getting <3 with some frequency, then running your numbers a little high may be a safe idea.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
A few years ago I went to my doctors because I had this nasty liquid filled lump appear on the top of my leg, I was asked about my type one control and when I told him my blood test was 12 this morning I was told off like I was a child! What do you expect with blood sugars that high you have got an infection and will need to take antibiotics until it goes, a couple of days later I noticed the same type of bump appearing on my other leg in the same position, I realised it was the heat and weight from my laptop which I was using quite a bit pressing on that particular spot, No infection whatsoever, I bought a support frame for the laptop and the bumps went away. So yes us diabetics do get other problems not related to diabetes and I am happy to say that after 43 yrs I have not had any yet.

Reactions: DJC3 and Dodo

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I had my yearly check last week and was told that my insulin control is too tight and that I need to relax my control
I've been told that a couple of times too!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told that a couple of times too!

I've been told to "relax" a lot.

The thing is they say that in the same breath as saying "be between 5 and 7" when you haven't done that.

So I'm supposed to relax, even while I'm already failing?

This is why we hate doctors.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So I'm supposed to relax, even while I'm already failing?

Compromise is not always failure. Had to tell you of one story, so here's another. Lady up the road MANY years ago developed a condition that in her 50s, made her seem more pregnant than a 20 year old carrrying 5 kids with a massive distended stomach. As a kid in my teens, it was a truly frightening sight.

Just got worse and worse and the husband did nothing ... a neighbour took matters into his own hands and hauled her off to hospital. All fixed that afternoon despite her loud protestations. It saved her life

So much for doctors huh?

She was the mother of an Australian Test Cricket opening batsman by the way. But stubborn as a pack of mules. If I'd been older, I'd have done the same thing. She was back to normal in a day or two

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Im hoping my physio is wrong and I don't have bulging disc but gallstones..
GP treating for infection. (cipro is a bone and joint antibiotic too thou).

So maybe I will hear the 'best' thing my doctor has said for real. Fingers crossed.

Its worse after food so most likely.

I became more pain sensitive on strict lchf alongside palpatations. All over pain thou.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Kevin, you can have the libre on prescription for 6 months"

The sweetest thing I've ever heard from the NHS :p

Reactions: DandyCane

DandyCane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
"Kevin, you can have the libre on prescription for 6 months"

The sweetest thing I've ever heard from the NHS :p
Hi kev-W, I am so happy for you, I am trying to get one from York Hospital at the moment but I am getting nowhere and am very frustrated! Is there a magic set of words to say??! I have frequent hypos, migraines from hypos and am generally struggling... I have written to my MP and diabetes UK to try and help me. I will never give up, just annoyed at how long it may take... is there any more local campaigning you know about specific to York I could get involved with?

Munkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After having troubles from my GP due to testing too much I went to my endo and he came out with "4 tests a day should be enough for you, no?". Literally the minimum testing they can give. They already know I'm active in strength sports and I quite like to know my level before doing 'dangerous' lifts (330lbs+ benchpress for example). Pretty sure the NICE guidelines even say to allow a t1 to test before, during, and after exercise. That's 3 strips alone.

Got given a freestyle libre trial but that lasts for 2 weeks only and prescription is not covered in my area. I've been told numerous times my control is too tight, and other times that my control is near perfect/is perfect. I wonder how much diabetic burn out or hopelessness is caused by doctors.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After having troubles from my GP due to testing too much I went to my endo and he came out with "4 tests a day should be enough for you, no?". Literally the minimum testing they can give. They already know I'm active in strength sports and I quite like to know my level before doing 'dangerous' lifts (330lbs+ benchpress for example). Pretty sure the NICE guidelines even say to allow a t1 to test before, during, and after exercise. That's 3 strips alone.

Got given a freestyle libre trial but that lasts for 2 weeks only and prescription is not covered in my area. I've been told numerous times my control is too tight, and other times that my control is near perfect/is perfect. I wonder how much diabetic burn out or hopelessness is caused by doctors.

Oh god this.

I can't even exercise more than going up and down the stairs to the flat, and if I could only test four times a day I'd be in a state of constant absolute terror. Is there really a chance they might start limiting the number of test sticks?

The absolute main top thing that is really killer about this is that nobody seems to have any idea what's right or wrong. Medical people contradict each other and themselves, people on this forum do the same, and you are left with no idea whether you are a success or a failure.

This is THE BIGGEST THING about it. People ask how I am doing, the answer is absolutely always that I HAVE NO IDEA. And yes I get told to relax too, then the next second someone tells you to be between two numbers you can't always be between, and you're supposed to relax MORE?

I could go on like this all night but yes it puts you in a frame of mind where you just want to give up totally.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Compromise is not always failure.

Being outside a range you have been told to be inside is not a compromise. It's a failure.

I'm told to be between 5 and 7. I am often outside that range. That is not a compromise. That is a failure. You can make all the excuses you like, the damage will still happen.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being outside a range you have been told to be inside is not a compromise. It's a failure.

I'm told to be between 5 and 7. I am often outside that range. That is not a compromise. That is a failure. You can make all the excuses you like, the damage will still happen.

Then you are always going to fail. That range is practically impossible to stay inside, diabetic or not. It is a target, not a limit.

Reactions: DJC3 and Dodo