Diabetes UK Petition for improved food labelling

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Responding to feedback from their Future of Diabetes Big Conversation, Diabetes UK have started a petition to lobby for changes in food labelling.

This is being labelled the Food Upfront petition, asking government for clear, consistent and compulsory labelling, in supermarkets and restaurants.
Here's what they'd like to see:

1. Front-of-pack traffic light labelling on all pre-packaged foods sold in the UK.
  2. Calorie labelling in key restaurants, cafes and takeaways, with carbohydrate content available online or when requested in store.
  3. Carbohydrate content labelling on products per portion or per individual unit as prepared.
You can add your signature to the petition here: https://goo.gl/WMhtG3

Their thread on the Diabetes UK forum is here: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/food-labels-diabetes-new-petition.72002/

Reactions: dbr10 and Guzzler

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Signed and shared :)

This is really important for restaurants - so many of the big chains don't provide any at all, and there isn't really any excuse for them not to.

Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Signed. It is very rare that I sign petitions but this one affects everyone not just those of us who have metabolic probs.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Haven't they missed out equating carbs to sugar, surely this is a key aspect. I will sign as the other points are worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 308541

The form did not complain about my old email address, and a random UK postcode.

I ticked the no spam box as well...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Haven't they missed out equating carbs to sugar, surely this is a key aspect. I will sign as the other points are worthwhile.
I made this point in the comment section and I doubt I will be alone in this.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Signed and left a comment about carbs = sugar

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Signed - not sure about the traffic light suggestion if it's just for sugar but I think a lot of people would benefit from the other points.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Signed and commented on the need for better disclosure of carb content by all food retailers.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't sign this without the full carb count--Tesco manage it by putting full carbs under the traffic light box ( after complaints from diabetics). Why can't everyone do the same?