Isn't LCHF the same as Atkins?

Tannith

BANNED
People on here say we have no studies on LCHF but if it's the same as Atkins (at least more or less) then there would surely have been studies done on it? Anyone got any links to studies on Atkins?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phinney and Voleck have been publishing the results of their research into LCHF for nearly 30 years now.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone got any links to studies on Atkins?
There is a very simple solution to the question "does the Atknis or LCHF diet work?"

The answer is no.
Because people treat it as a diet, a thing to do for a usual short period of time and then go back to what ever wasn't working for them before. That model can never work.:banghead:

From what I have been reading on here people are using LCHF as a life style, (or any other "diet" that works for them) not a quick fix. But don't forget for us whatever the diet choice it's through necessity, its not a choice in the true sense of the word, and there is no time limit on how long we adhere to it. ;)
:bag:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a very simple solution to the question "does the Atknis or LCHF diet work?"

The answer is no.
Because people treat it as a diet, a thing to do for a usual short period of time and then go back to what ever wasn't working for them before. That model can never work.:banghead:

From what I have been reading on here people are using LCHF as a life style, (or any other "diet" that works for them) not a quick fix. But don't forget for us whatever the diet choice it's through necessity, its not a choice in the true sense of the word, and there is no time limit on how long we adhere to it. ;)

Yes.
I know that the word 'diet' doesn't automatically mean a weight loss regime, but that seems to be the way most people use the word nowadays.

I am trying to train myself to use 'way of eating' instead. Also sometimes known as 'woe'. Since this indicates that the regime is a long term lifestyle, rather than a short term fix. Plus, of course, for many it acts as a weight regulator, or weight reduction regime, but can then simply be adjusted to stop the weight loss when appropriate.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.
I know that the word 'diet' doesn't automatically mean a weight loss regime,
It feels like your arguing with me over something but for the life of me I cant see what.
Or maybe its me , maybe I the type of guy that can pick a fight in an empty room. :p

Reactions: Brihtric

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that because the people with most influence seem to have their own opinion about what we ought to eat - an idea set in stone, that low carb eating has been poo-poohed for not just decades, but centuries.
Why would anyone do any research on an idea which was 'obviously' wrong?
If you read William Banting's Letter on Corpulence - there are various copies on line, by the fourth edition the poor fellow had amassed lots of letters from successful followers, but was being lambasted by various authoritative people.
Just like the low fat argument, results from some small scale investigations were slanted to avoid the obvious, so they appear to support the general idea that low carb is just a fad diet, and there is no advantage to it, when people report huge alterations in their well being, general health - amazing pregnancies and reversal of chronic health problems.
All dismissed as hearsay.
My sister and family came to stay for an extended holiday just as I found that I was pregnant with my second child. My sister had been wanting to fall pregnant for a long time - her first child was genetically imperfect, having Turner's syndrome. They complained about the food I served up all the time - but her second child was born six weeks after mine, a perfect little boy.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Phinney and Voleck have been publishing the results of their research into LCHF for nearly 30 years now.

They also wrote the updated version of the book on the Atkins Diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Atkins is still called a fad diet - a prime case, of 'My mind is made up, do not trouble me with facts.'

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Atkins is still called a fad diet -.....'
Long lasting fad though isn't it!! :D

IMO almost anything can be turned into a fad for fluffy heads though.:banghead:

I've seen it argued that Atkins is a higher protein version of low carb - or not!

My initial foray into eating a ketogenic diet was based on the Atkins induction phase after it was recommended by my GP, but I just told my husband I was eating a very low carbohydrate diet, essentially because he declared Akins "too expensive" for our food budget due to the fact that one of our friends had regularly chosen to eat steak and lobster when using Atkins to reduce his weight... But I see very little difference in the principles behind the two.

Robbity

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They also wrote the updated version of the book on the Atkins Diet.
Well, call me a cynical cow (its been said before!) but I cant help but note
2010 - they collaborate on & publish the new Atkins book
2011 - they publish their own book - the art & science of low carb
2016 /17 ish they launch their website (Virta health) and v expensive accompanying programme
Evolution of new ideas? Rebranding of old ideas? or just good old increased ££££ making opportunities? - who knows

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I have understood Atkins is a subclass of LCHF diet. So If you do Atkins, you're following a very low carb diet but you could eat low carb without following Atkins.
If you follow the Stillman diet, you follof a LCHF diet that isn't the Atkins diet.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Atkins "diet" I remember from around 1984 when I got Type 1. I guess it's still around especially on diabetes forums especially. There's one in the US and they are all over it too they call it "ketogenic" and test their urine for ketones too. Not sure why I've never done that once. My gut feeling is it's not a good thing to spill ketones in your urine.