HbA1c almost halved in three months :)

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to you. I am so pleased for you and you must be so proud of yourself and deserve to be. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to all of us x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done and great that your hard work and determination have paid off. I’ve got an adult son with autism so completely understand just how hard this must have been for you - especially as you have had to adopt so many changes which I know generate massive anxiety. Give yourself a big pat on the back you’ve climbed up a very high tough mountain over the last few months and I’m hoping you’re enjoying the amazing view and rewards you’ve achieved.

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Be careful lowering your hba1c so rapidly ... it can bring on so many problems with the eyes... I done the same as you and in turn have had massive eye surgery as a result of rapid control .... my old diabetes team never mentioned this to me I learned the hard way. Well done you but be careful... when you think your doing good it can have done things you can’t see on the outside please make sure to get your eyes checked

Reactions: Boothyboo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Be careful lowering your hba1c so rapidly ... it can bring on so many problems with the eyes... I done the same as you and in turn have had massive eye surgery as a result of rapid control .... my old diabetes team never mentioned this to me I learned the hard way. Well done you but be careful... when you think your doing good it can have done things you can’t see on the outside please make sure to get your eyes checked
Thank you for the heads up on that. I’m due for a retinopathy appointment fairly soon. I did see my optician the other week for my annual eye test, and she said that the three bleeds she’d seen the time before had healed. So I was pleased with that :)

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow, Mel dCP, how wonderful for you:) Hope you celebrate with a big fat keto dinner!! I am so impressed with your determination and desire to be the' best you' you can be for yourself and for your family!! Blessings/L

Reactions: ianpspurs

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for the heads up on that. I’m due for a retinopathy appointment fairly soon. I did see my optician the other week for my annual eye test, and she said that the three bleeds she’d seen the time before had healed. So I was pleased with that :)

Fantastic I wish you well ... I’m 27 went from 98 to 64 and ended up tgen with 2 failed laser sessions and a vitrectomy 2 weeks ago .. praying that things will stableise and this daily knightmare of fear will end.... nothing matters to me any more only my health and my future that I long for. All the best to you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really so pleased for you @Mel dCP . It sounds like your team really want to work with you, but let's face it you're doing more than was asked of you, which obviously deserves enormous respect.

I always, always do prep for appointments, even for a telcon with my GP, and if I'm face to face, I always get them out before the appointment starts. I find it makes me less nervy if it's a "big" appointment and if it's routine, it just makes me get the best out of the appointment. I think it's a good habit to maintain I think.

Now for a small confession; when I first read your initial post, I read it that you had gone into your appointment with your ".... lever arch file and a bottle of wine....". In the moment, it seemed like an eminently sensible idea. ;)

Again, I'm very pleased for you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news Mel dCP and it just goes to show good things happen to nice people

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
what does Libre mean?
It’s a sensor I wear on my arm that has a tiny canula that pokes just under the skin. It measures glucose levels in the fluid between the cells (interstitial fluid), and you read the results by waving a small scanner over it (you can also use some newer smartphones to read it). It stores eight hours of data, so when you scan when you wake up in the morning, you get a graph of what your sugars were doing while you were asleep. The really clever thing about it is that it tells you if the levels are stable, rising or falling and how fast. If you glance at it regularly, you can head off hypos and spikes before they get too big.

A lot of people self fund them, they were only approved for prescription last November. I’m lucky enough in South Wales to meet the criteria to get it on prescription.

Reactions: Freema
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
......A lot of people self fund them, they were only approved for prescription last November. I’m lucky enough in South Wales to meet the criteria to get it on prescription.
Sounds like a great reason to move to South Wales!! My surgery in south england would not prescribe me a Libre. Said it was not available on the local funding :(

sam13shep14

I finally got my HbA1c result, after a load of battling with my surgery since Thursday to release the result - a Doctor has to okay it before they can tell you, and the one on charge of mine wasn’t in until tomorrow...

My latest HbA1c is:
View attachment 25656

Which means I’ve reduced it by 45 from the 94 in December and smashed the target of reducing it by 27!
This means I qualify to keep my Libre under our prescribing guidelines, unless they’ve moved the goalposts...

I’m so happy right now, just hope my consultant appointment goes well this afternoon, keep your fingers crossed for me :)

This is all due to the constant scanning of my Libre and adopting a keto diet.​
well done mel hoping to reduce my tablets soon not easy when you like chocolate

saorinenn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I finally got my HbA1c result, after a load of battling with my surgery since Thursday to release the result - a Doctor has to okay it before they can tell you, and the one on charge of mine wasn’t in until tomorrow...

My latest HbA1c is:
View attachment 25656

Which means I’ve reduced it by 45 from the 94 in December and smashed the target of reducing it by 27!
This means I qualify to keep my Libre under our prescribing guidelines, unless they’ve moved the goalposts...

I’m so happy right now, just hope my consultant appointment goes well this afternoon, keep your fingers crossed for me :)

Bravo for the great result. Yes this diet worked for me also and I was not very strict too. Three months back I was diagnosed with type 2 with A1c of 7.23. I Was prescribed 2 pills a day of Merformin. I took them for a week and then just decided to reduce carbs and and try intermittent fasting. I skipped breakfast and had Tabouleh salad for lunch l( parsley and tomato) then a light keto dinner when possible. Last week my A1c was 5.7! So yes keto and intermittent fasting even if not followed strictly will control your Type 2 in most cases. I was wondering if in the future I will be cured if I keep this up or I can only hope to control it! I know that it will take years or forever maybe to be able to process sugar like a non diabetic I guess!

But I must say that T2 was the best that happens to me because It made me change my diet and now I am much healthier than before. I can’t even begin to lost the benefits of Keto diet and intermittent fasting.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Bravo for the great result. Yes this diet worked for me also and I was not very strict too. Three months back I was diagnosed with type 2 with A1c of 7.23. I Was prescribed 2 pills a day of Merformin. I took them for a week and then just decided to reduce carbs and and try intermittent fasting. I skipped breakfast and had Tabouleh salad for lunch l( parsley and tomato) then a light keto dinner when possible. Last week my A1c was 5.7! So yes keto and intermittent fasting even if not followed strictly will control your Type 2 in most cases. I was wondering if in the future I will be cured if I keep this up or I can only hope to control it! I know that it will take years or forever maybe to be able to process sugar like a non diabetic I guess!

But I must say that T2 was the best that happens to me because It made me change my diet and now I am much healthier than before. I can’t even begin to lost the benefits of Keto diet and intermittent fasting.
That’s fantastic, well done! It’s a case of finding what works, and is sustainable in the long term. I love the food I’m eating now, I just hope I can stick with it, especially away from home.

I’m type 1 rather than 2 like you, but keto has done wonders. I feel great. I wonder how much of that is due to the food or the better blood sugars?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
well done mel hoping to reduce my tablets soon not easy when you like chocolate
I love chocolate. I have the odd square of the 81% cocoa stuff they do in Lidl. I used to shove a whole bar in my face before, but I’m finding one or two squares more than satisfies. Strange but true, I’d never have believed anyone who told me I’d less tempted by it when I started.

phiddy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

My latest HbA1c is:
View attachment 25656

Congratulations to you! I too have been following the ketogenic diet with terrific results. I have lost almost 20 pounds (and am continuing to lose) my A1C is down to 6.9 from 8.3, I have stopped taking my rapid insulin and my Lantus is down to 60 units from 138. :)

SueBlitz

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My latest HbA1c is:
View attachment 25656

Absolutely wonderful news and so encouraging for those of us only a few weeks along the road. Well done you