Regular moderate exercise log

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think hoovering counts as moderate exercise. @Alexandra100

After ten days or so being ultra-cautious about walking whilst getting used to being on insulin, I'm definitely back to my level of normal just in time to go back to work.
IMO hoovering constitutes cruel though alas not unusual punishment. Maybe it also falls into the category of mental training where athletes subject themselves to demanding and unpleasant activities, hoping that pushing themselves to extremes in competition will feel easy by comparison. This form of training does not make up a large % of my exercise plan.

Shame about the cautious holiday, but great that you have mastered insulin and are now back to normal. Well done! And Easter is coming.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
IMO hoovering constitutes cruel though alas not unusual punishment. Maybe it also falls into the category of mental training where athletes subject themselves to demanding and unpleasant activities, hoping that pushing themselves to extremes in competition will feel easy by comparison. This form of training does not make up a large % of my exercise plan.

Shame about the cautious holiday, but great that you have mastered insulin and are now back to normal. Well done! And Easter is coming.

Mastered would be a bit of an over-statement, but I'm comfortable with the routine of it now and looking forward to a few weeks time when I will, hopefully, be allowed to adjust it all a bit more finely.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still trundling along with 4 weight sessions a week and a few swims, 2 steps forward and one step back tho with strains and dodgy shoulders, but today (and yes I'm having a little brag 'cos it made me smile :p ) I managed to press the 40kg dumbbells twice, I've stuck on the 38kg ones for about 18 months a while so I'm feeling quite smug today.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still trundling along with 4 weight sessions a week and a few swims, 2 steps forward and one step back tho with strains and dodgy shoulders, but today (and yes I'm having a little brag 'cos it made me smile :p ) I managed to press the 40kg dumbbells twice, I've stuck on the 38kg ones for about 18 months a while so I'm feeling quite smug today.
Let the smugness flow. Well done big fella. Top banana award for you.:)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:banghead: And a week and a day later I expected to lift those bells again, but I was considerably weaker today and stuck on 34kg.

So I sulked and didn't bother swimming.

Meh....:banghead:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:banghead: And a week and a day later I expected to lift those bells again, but I was considerably weaker today and stuck on 34kg.

So I sulked and didn't bother swimming.

Meh....:banghead:
When my parkrun friends moan abut not having scored a PB, I tell them that if they ran faster every time they'd soon be getting to the finish before they had started. IMO almost the same applies to lifting. Lift more every time and soon you'd be lifting the biggest hulk in the gym, with the 2nd biggest sat on his shoulders and ... and, you know what? It wouldn't make you more loved!!! Today I managed to shoulder press 10 reps with the 5lb dumbells - good! But I felt much weaker than I used to on the stairclimber - bad! I did most of my scheduled 10 minutes on level 6, and I was gritting my teeth to finish. Gone the days I was cruising on level 7 with excursions up to 8 and beyond. Sic transit gloria mundi!!!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When my parkrun friends moan abut not having scored a PB, I tell them that if they ran faster every time they'd soon be getting to the finish before they had started. IMO almost the same applies to lifting. Lift more every time and soon you'd be lifting the biggest hulk in the gym, with the 2nd biggest sat on his shoulders and ... and, you know what? It wouldn't make you more loved!!! Today I managed to shoulder press 10 reps with the 5lb dumbells - good! But I felt much weaker than I used to on the stairclimber - bad! I did most of my scheduled 10 minutes on level 6, and I was gritting my teeth to finish. Gone the days I was cruising on level 7 with excursions up to 8 and beyond. Sic transit gloria mundi!!!
PS A week and a day is a bit long between sessions, isn't it?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS A week and a day is a bit long between sessions, isn't it?
:) the extra day was the error :p I try and split a training week into 4 weight sessions, chest/back/legs/shoulders usually the first two would be Monday/Tuesday, swim Wednesday, then legs on a Thursday after a swim, swim Friday & train shoulders Saturday morning, but that's flexible as I don't always make the blood sugars I'm aiming at.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:) the extra day was the error :p I try and split a training week into 4 weight sessions, chest/back/legs/shoulders usually the first two would be Monday/Tuesday, swim Wednesday, then legs on a Thursday after a swim, swim Friday & train shoulders Saturday morning, but that's flexible as I don't always make the blood sugars I'm aiming at.
Ah yes, I forgot abut the split training. You move in much more rarefied circles than me! As long as I make it to the gym and pump some iron for about an hour 3 times a week (I so often don't) I feel I've earned a "winner" badge. IMO you do absolutely right to be flexible in your training plans. I don't think the body is very interested in them, it has its own priorities, and the body rules, OK? With or without an extra day, your programme sounds brilliant to me.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was quite annoyed with myself earlier in the week. I had to go to my workplace gym with some students, not usually something I do but when we were allocating work that day within our team I was the only one with the appropriate training to be with one particular student. But, the sportswear I thought was in my locker wasn't as I'd worn it home under my jeans when I'd walked home in the snow the previous week.. I'd been quite looking forward to having a go on some of the equipment I had yet to test out. Oh well, probably better I was keeping an eagle eye on students, boring as just watching was.

After a bit of a hiccup with the snow days, I'm well and truly back on track with the walking again. I will have to do a bit of a catch up on one target after Easter, I think, but it's not a drastic catch up as it was this time last year when I'd completely miscalculated my daily target.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a bit of a hiccup with the snow days, I'm well and truly back on track with the walking again. I will have to do a bit of a catch up on one target after Easter
Hello Japes, I was relieved to see your latest post as I was beginning to worry that your new insulin regime might be causing you problems. I need to do a BIG catch up on my exercise, due to snow and other difficulties. I seem to be averaging 1.5 medical appointments a week lately and it's too much. Nothing to compare to working of course, but ... And today, after heavy snow, the sun is shining but I'm waiting in for a parcel that probably won't come due to the snow ...

Reactions: Japes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, @Alexandra100 . We've just hit an extraordinarily busy patch at Main Paid work and this is also the lead up to Silly Season church-wise (Also known as Holy Week and Easter...) so there's just a lot going on day to day as well as adapting to this insulin regime, which is settling nicely, bloods all been between 4.7 and 9.3 for some days now, with just one or two minor issues which are now sorted. I had a bit of a wailing wobble about it all on the third day of being snowed in, but that was just before it all began to fall into place properly, and I'd come down from the horrible hyper state I'd been in for ages.

I'm hoping to do a proper full day's walking on Saturday.

Reactions: Alexandra100

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And another week goes by and I'm still 4kg short of that good lift day, although I did ok today training my back at lunchtime, and took the child swimming before tea and she swam 20 lengths with me, she's been idle recently and it's been hard work getting her to graft at her swimming.
I started taking her to the pool when she was 6, I'd previously given swimming up due to a bad hypo when teaching my older kids a long time back whilst on Humalin S and had needed an ambulance to the pool as I dropped unconscious in the changing rooms so was nervous at first, but once I'd taught her the basics and she could swim lengths of the little pool I had to bite the bullet and start swimming again so I'd be 'safe' with her in the big pool, she'd swum a km breaststroke alongside me before her 10th birthday and at the turn of the year aged 11 managed 1/2 km (20 lengths) front crawl with tumble turns :)
It certainly keeps me on my toes.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And another week goes by and I'm still 4kg short of that good lift day
The trouble with weight training, every day can end up being "race" day, whereas runners spend most of their time training, not that often flat out, and just a small proportion of their time actually testing themselves in time trials and races.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The trouble with weight training, every day can end up being "race" day, whereas runners spend most of their time training, not that often flat out, and just a small proportion of their time actually testing themselves in time trials and races.
:) yes & no I'd say, my goal is to get stronger, reality is I'm fighting a losing battle with age (50). 2 weeks back the lift I did took 2 years to get to, and I'm back to where I was before it.
I train alone as I train around my bloods/work/social life and it's hard to find a decent training partner anyway, my last one (20 years back) got into steroids in a big way so I left him to it when he researched insulin use and wanted some of mine.
An hour in the gym for me would be 5 mins on a rower or cross country thingy :) to warm up/loosen my shoulders, 3 sets of 60 sit up/crunches/rope crunches with an arm warm up in-between the ab sets, for my workout I use 'pyramid sets' starting light x 12 reps finishing heavy for 2 to 4 reps, usually 5 sets of a compound exercise, followed by another 3 lighter sets of another complimentary compound exercise (ie dumbbell press then barbell etc) and aim for another 3 isolation exercises x 3 sets, stretch & warm down.
I sometimes mix things up, but not often which tbh is a failing of mine in all things anyway.
My eldest child paid me a backhand compliment from something her blokes mate had said to her, 'he can give it some for an old guy' which didn't please me at all and I don't know who it was that had said it or I'd drop a 20kg disk on his foot :p

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes & no I'd say, my goal is to get stronger, reality is I'm fighting a losing battle with age (50)
Ditch the pessimism!!! OK our potential goes down with age, but when did you (or I) train to our full potential? Stick at it and you'll get there. Just keep training and try not to keep on pulling up the carrots to see if they are growing! (You know carrots are not the best for diabetics anyway.)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're younger than me @kev-w (by all of 3 years...)

Walking is now back to its excellently splendid importance and original role in my life of Lowering My Blood Sugars. Um, maybe a touch too successfully... arrived home feeling fine after a couple of dextro to get me up the mile-long hill home, to get a 3.9 on the meter just before eating. Oops...

Also have now been passed off as competent (apart from that little episode which was after seeing the clinic nurse) to adjust my insulin to match my eating. We did chat a bit about the walking and learning to work out food/insulin/walking as well. I'm all for being fueled by bananas after 2.5 years of not being able to eat them without horrible consequences. Though I've no intention of going back to a carb heavy diet ever again, it's just so nice to have moderate amounts of some of my favourite foods back in my life. Apart from milk chocolate which I can't stand the taste of now.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmm... definitely need a snack before walking home.

Sports students at my Main Work Place were demanding my walking steps totals to add to the Sports Relief totals. So, I have obligingly been well on target this week, 14, 000 - 15,000 steps in my continuous brisk pace walking every day, 19,000 - 25,000 total steps every day. They've been well impressed, and I've been pleased I'm getting back on track apart from...

I've conclusively confirmed I definitely, definitely need a snack before walking more than a mile on the way home! I've been doing three miles in the morning on my usual breakfast of Alpro Plain Yogurt, cream and banana, a morning's work, been nicely on target at lunchtime bloods wise, usual salad/cheese or eggs/nuts/oatcakes/piece of fruit lunch... but keep dropping low on the way home.

Today, I thought since I'd had chips and cake for lunch and was 7.5 as I set off, I'd be fine. Was I heck... 2 miles in, hit with a 3.2, which was coaxed back up to 8.4 with 5 dextro followed by a banana, a bit of a bus ride to let it all work, then another mile's walk, and back down to 4.6 before I could blink.

Back to a bit of a rethink of fueling for walking! And a good excuse for a gentle evening as I somehow managed to hit all walking targets for the day before the evening meal.

(Of course, it could be the insulin ratios as well - will check that out properly on Monday.)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd dance with glee and delight for managing 15 miles today with no hypos - including getting the full, heavy shopping trolley the last mile home uphill. But it's by far the longest day's walking I've managed for a few months now and my feet are telling me they just want a hot bath, then a quiet evening watching the Paddington 2 DVD I rewarded myself with. On both counts!