Type 2 Dental Implants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been Type 2 Diabetic for the last 20 years on insulin and tablets, retired 5 years ago but all my life had problems with my teeth. I decided to have some implants as I hated the full denture. The procedure lasted 5 years as every times I had implant I would get an infection and it had to be taken out. I was told that this is because of my diabetes my gums reject the foreign body,
Is this true has anyone had the same problem I have spend nearly £10,000 on this and I am still wearing a denture. I really would appreciate any comments from any professionals or any members that suffered the same.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had two implants about five years ago and have not had any problems. My dentist was clear that I should keep the gum line around the implants clean to avoid inflammation. I think the main thing to avoid gum problems is to practice good oral hygiene and keep blood sugars under control.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had two implants about five years ago and have not had any problems. My dentist was clear that I should keep the gum line around the implants clean to avoid inflammation. I think the main thing to avoid gum problems is to practice good oral hygiene and keep blood sugars under control.
Thank you Robert it goes without saying good oral hygiene is a must

Reactions: robert72

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you think you got the infection during the surgery? I understand that's one of the risks, but it suggests that the dentist might not have been so careful. Was it your usual dentist? I don't buy the rejection theory.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have had one implant on my front tooth which was done before diabetes about 12 years ago and no issues with this, I am looking to have 2 more this year and my dentist is confident they will be fine, as long as I maintain good dental hygiene and keep up with brushing and flossing etc as well as keeping good glucose control there is no reason why they shouldn't work.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you think you got the infection during the surgery? I understand that's one of the risks, but it suggests that the dentist might not have been so careful. Was it your usual dentist? I don't buy the rejection theory.
Yes it was my usual Dentist, in fact I had 12 implants and they all end up with my having infection I should have put the stop to it there and then but I trusted my dentist but not being very au fait with the procedures I kept on pay money. Stupid woman.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone else about pristine oral hygiene, but the other thing to bear in mind is that smoking is lethal for dental implants. If you smoke, or smoked whilst you had implants, that could well have been a factor.

henryshenrys

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with everyone else about pristine oral hygiene, but the other thing to bear in mind is that smoking is lethal for dental implants. If you smoke, or smoked whilst you had implants, that could well have been a factor.
sorry to but in
how do i post here

Was your implant ceramic or titanium? Metal-free implant is getting popular for diabetic

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dentist told me that the failure rate for implants is much higher for diabetics than non diabetics, higher still for diabetics with higher blood sugats