1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Dental Implants

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Jozefa_Rozalia, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Jozefa_Rozalia

Jozefa_Rozalia Type 2 · Newbie

I have been Type 2 Diabetic for the last 20 years on insulin and tablets, retired 5 years ago but all my life had problems with my teeth. I decided to have some implants as I hated the full denture. The procedure lasted 5 years as every times I had implant I would get an infection and it had to be taken out. I was told that this is because of my diabetes my gums reject the foreign body,
    Is this true has anyone had the same problem I have spend nearly £10,000 on this and I am still wearing a denture. I really would appreciate any comments from any professionals or any members that suffered the same.

2. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had two implants about five years ago and have not had any problems. My dentist was clear that I should keep the gum line around the implants clean to avoid inflammation. I think the main thing to avoid gum problems is to practice good oral hygiene and keep blood sugars under control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jozefa_Rozalia

Thank you Robert it goes without saying good oral hygiene is a must

• Like Like x 1
  4. robert72

Do you think you got the infection during the surgery? I understand that's one of the risks, but it suggests that the dentist might not have been so careful. Was it your usual dentist? I don't buy the rejection theory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have had one implant on my front tooth which was done before diabetes about 12 years ago and no issues with this, I am looking to have 2 more this year and my dentist is confident they will be fine, as long as I maintain good dental hygiene and keep up with brushing and flossing etc as well as keeping good glucose control there is no reason why they shouldn't work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jozefa_Rozalia

Yes it was my usual Dentist, in fact I had 12 implants and they all end up with my having infection I should have put the stop to it there and then but I trusted my dentist but not being very au fait with the procedures I kept on pay money. Stupid woman.

7. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I agree with everyone else about pristine oral hygiene, but the other thing to bear in mind is that smoking is lethal for dental implants. If you smoke, or smoked whilst you had implants, that could well have been a factor.

8. henryshenrys

henryshenrys Type 2 · Active Member

sorry to but in
    how do i post here

9. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You just did it. :)

10. AlbertoLaidlaw

AlbertoLaidlaw Type 2 · Active Member

Dentist warned that implants might fail because of diabetes so opted for a bridge which has been great

• Like Like x 1
  11. Margarette10488

Margarette10488 · Newbie

Was your implant ceramic or titanium? Metal-free implant is getting popular for diabetic

• Like Like x 1
  12. robert72

Titanium. They seem not to be causing any issues.

13. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

My dentist told me that the failure rate for implants is much higher for diabetics than non diabetics, higher still for diabetics with higher blood sugats

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook