chopped a few bits of fingers off

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Paul Daniels , the Magician who died recently, had wonderful dexterity. Then he cut his finger off one weekend while playing about in his garden shed. Early senility. Are you perhaps going senile?
Going? I am running full tilt at it with a loving embrace

Looking back at it, it was either a lapse in concentration or arrogance towards a tool designed to rip things apart. I would love to blame external influences but end of the day it was me and unless I learn from a stupid error next time it could be far worse.

Good diet and health will help these digits heal. I dread to think what it would be like if it happened when my hba1c was way over 100.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I guy I used to work with shoved his hand in an industrial fan to see if he could stop it he didn't and lost three fingers on his right hand.

After he had healed and was back at work he stuck his left hand in to see if the first time was a fluke it wasn't same result other hand.

A mistake is one thing to repeat it though is foolhardy to say the least.

Reactions: LouWilk059

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Going? I am running full tilt at it with a loving embrace

Looking back at it, it was either a lapse in concentration or arrogance towards a tool designed to rip things apart. I would love to blame external influences but end of the day it was me and unless I learn from a stupid error next time it could be far worse.

Good diet and health will help these digits heal. I dread to think what it would be like if it happened when my hba1c was way over 100.
i am interested to know how you are lowering your Hb A1c levels , while at the same time reducing your metformin? Can you explain details ? Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
i am interested to know how you are lowering your Hb A1c levels , while at the same time reducing your metformin? Can you explain details ? Thanks.

You will most likely get the same answer from anyone you ask on this forum, because many, many have done the same. A suitable eating plan, which means eating to what your meter tells you and reducing the carbs to your personal carb tolerance level, or a very low calorie diet (800 calories for 8 weeks) coupled with substantial weight loss.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guy I used to work with shoved his hand in an industrial fan to see if he could stop it he didn't and lost three fingers on his right hand.

After he had healed and was back at work he stuck his left hand in to see if the first time was a fluke it wasn't same result other hand.

A mistake is one thing to repeat it though is foolhardy to say the least.
Seriously?! Wow, wonder if he was just warming up with the aim to eventually win a Darwin Award, http://www.darwinawards.com/

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
You will most likely get the same answer from anyone you ask on this forum, because many, many have done the same. A suitable eating plan, which means eating to what your meter tells you and reducing the carbs to your personal carb tolerance level, or a very low calorie diet (800 calories for 8 weeks) coupled with substantial weight loss.

was meant to answer @hooha

Hi

I started by doing or not doing the following

No flour products
No spuds, except the odd chip
No sugar
No rice, except 25 grams of wild rice on the odd occasion
No booze for 200+ days
No squash/juice etc
Tea - yes
Coffee - hell yes
Water, lots, if your hungry drink first
Real lemon in sparking water with crushed ice. lots

Salad every day
Greek yogurt with seeds every morning (you need fibre)
Good quality meat and lots of fish
Falafel
Persian food is fantastic
Asian/indian food too
home cooked is the key.
Beetroot
Butternut sqash
Carrots
broccoli
well all veg and tonnes of them
Occasional 85% chocolate

Count calories and more importantly food content. raise or drop calories depending on your activities
if you're hungry and you have eaten your calories for the day, tough, hunger didn't kill me
Drink more water

Walk even if it's only for 10 minutes that day, its worth it
Push yourself to walk further, cycle, swim, climb, gym if you have to, outdoor classes. I was not the fastest when I started, I didn't care to impress other people. I wanted my HBA1c down. Gardening, awesome workout.

I tested lots, I worked out what a meal would do and do it consistently. I Can now plan what to eat with some knowledge of how far it will take me,

When I got the 34 result I experimented with foods and booze, went up to 39 when I broke my leg, back to 38.

sounds simple, but I know why I am doing this, I want a long life with my family. When you have "why", "how" becomes easier

yes I still want to revert on days to the old ways, we all do at times, some days you win, some you don't do so well. don't let a day become a week become a month.

No I am not a hyperlowcarbnut. I make sure I fuel my body for what I need to do, I just don't do it with processed foods.

Does this help?

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My father did that. I don't recall what the recovery was but he suspended a piece of the bloody wood over the table saw as a reminder.