Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hi

Well I ran my fingers through a table saw, some bits are missing now, they will grow back and no missing bones.

What do you eat to help healing of skin?

Yes I am an idiot/Muppet etc and I know it.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bit extreme to avoid finger pricking. make sure your protean and vit levels are up and it should heal ok.

Reactions: DJC3 and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also make sure you keep your blood sugars as low as possible.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd eat some low-carb comfort food if I did something like that. Doesn't help with healing skin, but comfort food would definitely help my shocked soul to heal after such a scare + pain. And it won't make your bg go up, which will help healing the skin.

Reactions: ickihun and deb1960

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Hi

Well I ran my fingers through a table saw, some bits are missing now, they will grow back and no missing bones.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that! I was always told to up your vitamin c and protein to speed up healing. And as others have mentioned, to have some comfort low carb food.

Reactions: ickihun

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi

@Ross.Walker Hope you got it cleaned and bandaged and checked out at hospital ! K

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the right thing and didn't just wrap it in toilet paper
You should never just use toilet paper on a wound. Always use duct tape over the tp to prevent losing it and to keep it from getting dirty.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
You should never just use toilet paper on a wound. Always use duct tape over the tp to prevent losing it and to keep it from getting dirty.

one time I had to use sanitary towels and gaffertape when some stitches failed. the nurse was confused yet impressed with the attention to hygiene.

never loose the power of invention

yes I am that clumsy

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry to hear of your lossl. Luckily will regrow. Lovely.

Keep any wound dry and clean. Good bgs do help in not delaying the white blood cells from fighting off the sugar first then bacteria.

I'm delighted no worse damage.

I would redress any wound as a least twice daily, if possible on first few hours/days of injury. Less thereafter.

Any change in colour of skin surrounding injury should be reported to medics. Pink healthy skin with a little redness is the blood flooding the wound to protect it from invaders. Swelling or pus? please see a decent nurse to assess.
Looks like you have done all these things @Ross.Walker . :) Well done.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
hi

Yes I did the right thing and didn't just wrap it in toilet paper and consult the internet. Sometimes common sense takes hold.

Ross
Nice to hear! K wish you well

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi

Yes I did the right thing and didn't just wrap it in toilet paper and consult the internet. Sometimes common sense takes hold.

Ross

You need kitchen towel, toilet paper dissolves in the blood.
Then tape it up with duct tape.

PekkaJ

Sorry to hear about that. If the healing will not start easily, you could try spruce resin salve. If you have difficulties to find that, please let me know and let's find some solution.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Sorry to hear about that. If the healing will not start easily, you could try spruce resin salve. If you have difficulties to find that, please let me know and let's find some solution.
POW

That's an interesting read, I am near a great shop in kingston, I will pop in tomorrow and see what they say. If not I will be in touch for sure. Thank you

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Sorry to hear of your lossl. Luckily will regrow. Lovely.

Keep any wound dry and clean. Good bgs do help in not delaying the white blood cells from fighting off the sugar first then bacteria.

I'm delighted no worse damage.

I would redress any wound as a least twice daily, if possible on first few hours/days of injury. Less thereafter.

Any change in colour of skin surrounding injury should be reported to medics. Pink healthy skin with a little redness is the blood flooding the wound to protect it from invaders. Swelling or pus? please see a decent nurse to assess.
Looks like you have done all these things @Ross.Walker . :) Well done.
thank you

Reactions: ickihun

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
All the usual stuff that has been said by others here. Good control of sugar levels, sensible eating, most importantly keeping the wounds and the areas around them clean. Check dressings for discharges an/or smell.

Am currently nursing 13 stitches just at back of arm-pit after slipping in kitchen, dragging earthenware butter dish on to floor (and breaking it) as I tried to stay on my feet, then landing on the thing. Am a week into healing and have another week before the stitches can come out. It was an impressively deep hole. Cost me a tetanus jab as well.

Moral of my tale? You are not the only one who can break bones/slice yourself open or do any stupid combination of both. I thought my days of daft injuries were behind me when I stopped playing football at 44 after breaking my left arm on an opponents head while trying to punch the ball clear (ex-goalie). 15 years later, three shoulder ops including three bolts to repair a huge fracture dislocation, a couple of broken hand bones, along with a hernia repair, an appendectomy and another nasty stay in hospital for Diverticulitis, shows that at whatever age, getting into trouble (A&E Type) is still dead easy!

Good luck with the fingers. :nurse:

Last edited: