1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

chopped a few bits of fingers off

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Ross.Walker, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Ross.Walker

Ross.Walker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Going? I am running full tilt at it with a loving embrace

Looking back at it, it was either a lapse in concentration or arrogance towards a tool designed to rip things apart. I would love to blame external influences but end of the day it was me and unless I learn from a stupid error next time it could be far worse.

Good diet and health will help these digits heal. I dread to think what it would be like if it happened when my hba1c was way over 100.

2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I guy I used to work with shoved his hand in an industrial fan to see if he could stop it he didn't and lost three fingers on his right hand.

After he had healed and was back at work he stuck his left hand in to see if the first time was a fluke it wasn't same result other hand.

A mistake is one thing to repeat it though is foolhardy to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hooha

hooha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i am interested to know how you are lowering your Hb A1c levels , while at the same time reducing your metformin? Can you explain details ? Thanks.

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

You will most likely get the same answer from anyone you ask on this forum, because many, many have done the same. A suitable eating plan, which means eating to what your meter tells you and reducing the carbs to your personal carb tolerance level, or a very low calorie diet (800 calories for 8 weeks) coupled with substantial weight loss.

• Like Like x 3
  5. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Seriously?! Wow, wonder if he was just warming up with the aim to eventually win a Darwin Award, http://www.darwinawards.com/

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ross.Walker

Ross.Walker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

was meant to answer @hooha

Hi

I started by doing or not doing the following

No flour products
    No spuds, except the odd chip
    No sugar
    No rice, except 25 grams of wild rice on the odd occasion
    No booze for 200+ days
    No squash/juice etc
    Tea - yes
    Coffee - hell yes
    Water, lots, if your hungry drink first
    Real lemon in sparking water with crushed ice. lots

Salad every day
    Greek yogurt with seeds every morning (you need fibre)
    Good quality meat and lots of fish
    Falafel
    Persian food is fantastic
    Asian/indian food too
    home cooked is the key.
    Beetroot
    Butternut sqash
    Carrots
    broccoli
    well all veg and tonnes of them
    Occasional 85% chocolate

Count calories and more importantly food content. raise or drop calories depending on your activities
    if you're hungry and you have eaten your calories for the day, tough, hunger didn't kill me
    Drink more water

Walk even if it's only for 10 minutes that day, its worth it
    Push yourself to walk further, cycle, swim, climb, gym if you have to, outdoor classes. I was not the fastest when I started, I didn't care to impress other people. I wanted my HBA1c down. Gardening, awesome workout.

I tested lots, I worked out what a meal would do and do it consistently. I Can now plan what to eat with some knowledge of how far it will take me,

When I got the 34 result I experimented with foods and booze, went up to 39 when I broke my leg, back to 38.

sounds simple, but I know why I am doing this, I want a long life with my family. When you have "why", "how" becomes easier

yes I still want to revert on days to the old ways, we all do at times, some days you win, some you don't do so well. don't let a day become a week become a month.

No I am not a hyperlowcarbnut. I make sure I fuel my body for what I need to do, I just don't do it with processed foods.

Does this help?

• Winner Winner x 3
  7. Gork

Gork Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My father did that. I don't recall what the recovery was but he suspended a piece of the bloody wood over the table saw as a reminder.

• Creative Creative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook