NHS Dietitian Contradicting Himself

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a visit with my NHS Dietitian.

Whilst congratulating me for going into "remission" and lowering my HBA1c from 85 to 38 in just over 4 months, he did not like the fact that I changed my diet to an extremely low-carb and very healthy diet.

He said my fasting blood glucose readings between 4 - 6 mmols/l are false and I'm cheating.

He also emphasized to me to eat "normally" and stressed out that the NHS does NOT agree with low-carbing and it's strongly NOT advisable.

So I was sitting there in his office thinking this is just another waste of my time and while I was listening to his sermon, I saw a book sitting on his desk about "Carb and Calories", the best selling book on counting carbohydrates and calories for Diabetics!!!

Absolutely confusing!!!!!!!

This is what we have to put up with as diabetics. He obviously does NO reading other than that to back up his outdated ideas..........
Stick to what you're doing and tell him to go take a hike. Low carb works and is NOT dangerous.
The establishment just love to frighten people.
Unfortunately most dieticians just spout the usual 'healthy eating' guidelines, which are anything but.
Keep on with the low carb, youre doing fantastically well with it.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd really like to be able to press the "funny" emoji twice. You had amazing control

Exactly why I won't have a health care assistant(not even a nurse) telling me what to do. No ideas, no registration to protect, no professionalism to uphold, I could go on......I'm sure there must be the odd one about who actually IS good at their job, but I haven't come across that one yet.

Reactions: SueJB

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy

Whilst congratulating me for going into "remission" and lowering my HBA1c from 85 to 38 in just over 4 months, he did not like the fact that I changed my diet to an extremely low-carb and very healthy diet.

He said my fasting blood glucose readings between 4 - 6 mmols/l are false and I'm cheating.

He also emphasized to me to eat "normally" and stressed out that the NHS does NOT agree with low-carbing and it's strongly NOT advisable.

So I was sitting there in his office thinking this is just another waste of my time and while I was listening to his sermon, I saw a book sitting on his desk about "Carb and Calories", the best selling book on counting carbohydrates and calories for Diabetics!!!

I have been "cheating" for 2 years & 3 months now - on the Michael Mosley 800 cal, no carb diet. My hbA1c is 35 & I have no symptoms of diabetes. I exercise rigouressly (at the gym) 4 days & 6 hrs a week. Additionally, I walk (fast pace) 10 miles every day. My blood pressure is 110/68, I am never ill, I have never taken medicine for the diabetes. I have no idea whether I have reversed my diabetes, or am in remission. It costs a minimum of £40 to see the doctor here - so I don't go unless I absolutely have to ! I am in the peak of health & suffer no repercussions from the lack of carbs. Long live "cheating". Pay no heed to the doctor.

badmedisin

Exactly why I won't have a health care assistant(not even a nurse) telling me what to do. No ideas, no registration to protect, no professionalism to uphold, I could go on......I'm sure there must be the odd one about who actually IS good at their job, but I haven't come across that one yet.

Nurses do have registration to protect, along with a code of professional ethics and a requirement to prove continuing professional development. Personally I've found my DSNs over the years have been much more helpful and knowledgable than my diabetes consultants.

As for dieticians, just don't go back. There's absolutely no point in seeing one if you don't have diet-related problems. If you're not overweight/ underweight, your BG is normal and you don't have any nutrient deficiencies, save yourself the time and trouble and just don't make the appointment ;)

Reactions: tina_marie

trotskyite

Your dietitian seems to be doing their job, informing you that low carb diets are not supported due to limited knowledge of how healthy they are in the med to long term. Also telling you eating no carbs is lowering your bg artificially. If you were truly in remission you could eat any amount carbs and stay normal hba1c wise. The Mediterranean diet is 40%fat why not do this or the dash diet they are proven healthy diets with evidence of effect with no unknowns.

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My Dietitian put me on a FODMAP diet for 2 years and that increased my intake of high carb vegetables making me seriously ill. Then ditched me as i wasn't making progress but getting worse. And with insisting I took Statins too I'm lucky to be alive. I will never see her again or take another Statin after almost losing my life at Christmas. Converting over to the Low Carb diet immediately has improved my health and in 6 weeks almost reversed my diabetes. Role on the next 6 weeks as It may just be history.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey guys, Alexander here from San Antonio, Texas. I was reading the posts here and want to chime in. First, that was a ridiculous statement made by that dietitian. I agree with the person that said is taking meds cheating? Anyway, for those of you interested, I found out about a Dr Jason Fung out of Canada that recommends fasting. I bought his book on Amazon and it’s great. Very informative and helpful. That along with reading and viewing many other online sites, Dr Mark Furman has similar thoughts along with other doctors that I don’t remember. I was receiving an email from “ iThrive” about a Jon McMahon in a quest to reverse his diabetes.

I currently am fasting, I’m on day 17 of 21. I’ve lost 20 lbs so far and my glucose levels are at 70 mg/dL. Sorry, I don’t know the conversation for either of these numbers. Anyway, I’m sharing this with you and hopefully you will share it with others. I do recommend the book, The Obesity Code. Good luck and God bless.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been "cheating" for 2 years & 3 months now - on the Michael Mosley 800 cal, no carb diet. My hbA1c is 35 & I have no symptoms of diabetes. I exercise rigouressly (at the gym) 4 days & 6 hrs a week. Additionally, I walk (fast pace) 10 miles every day. My blood pressure is 110/68, I am never ill, I have never taken medicine for the diabetes. I have no idea whether I have reversed my diabetes, or am in remission. It costs a minimum of £40 to see the doctor here - so I don't go unless I absolutely have to ! I am in the peak of health & suffer no repercussions from the lack of carbs. Long live "cheating". Pay no heed to the doctor.
I am full of admiration for your exercise programme and your success. Just out of curiosity, where in the world are you?

andyhorton

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I completely understand. I went to see a dietitian under duress (4 months after diagnosis T2). My HBA1C down to 36 from 61%, Cholesterol 3.8 from 6.5). I refused medication from Gp. The dietitian commended me on my results but then contraindicated herself by trying to convince me that I must eat starchy carbs and lots of bread and more carbs. (By the way I am an Oncology Nurse so know my stuff). Anyway I asked for the rationale of the starchy carbs etc only to be told that my brain needs the glucose to work! She really stumbled and lost track of what she was trying to brain wash me with and gave up as I told her that my low carb high fat diet proves otherwise, oh and my 2st weight loss. Waste of time. I did my homework over the 3 months from diagnosis, I just feel sorry for patients that dont have a clue as the advice j received was appalling.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.

LOL you go!! You're doing great, & he's just a jackass.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
I completely understand. I went to see a dietitian under duress (4 months after diagnosis T2). My HBA1C down to 36 from 61%, Cholesterol 3.8 from 6.5). I refused medication from Gp. The dietitian commended me on my results but then contraindicated herself by trying to convince me that I must eat starchy carbs and lots of bread and more carbs. (By the way I am an Oncology Nurse so know my stuff). Anyway I asked for the rationale of the starchy carbs etc only to be told that my brain needs the glucose to work! She really stumbled and lost track of what she was trying to brain wash me with and gave up as I told her that my low carb high fat diet proves otherwise, oh and my 2st weight loss. Waste of time. I did my homework over the 3 months from diagnosis, I just feel sorry for patients that dont have a clue as the advice j received was appalling.
That should be criminal. How does a dietician not know about "ketosis", & in the absence of glucose, the brain doesn't just stop---DUH--it reverts to burning fat, like in the old days. Ha!

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Nurses do have registration to protect, along with a code of professional ethics and a requirement to prove continuing professional development. Personally I've found my DSNs over the years have been much more helpful and knowledgable than my diabetes consultants.

As for dieticians, just don't go back. There's absolutely no point in seeing one if you don't have diet-related problems. If you're not overweight/ underweight, your BG is normal and you don't have any nutrient deficiencies, save yourself the time and trouble and just don't make the appointment ;)

As a nurse myself, I'm well aware that nurses do have a registration to protect. I was referring to HCAs, who at present do not have to meet any of these requirements! The sooner they have to be on a register and there is a legal requirement for continued professional development, the better, in my experience. As for the DSN being more knowledgeable than the consultant, that is entirely possible, although I have to say I am very happy with my consultant, who is an endocrinologist and extremely supportive of my decision to go low carb. He was over the moon when my HBA1c went from 90 odds to 42 in 6 months! Whereas all I got from the dietician, DSN and HCA was complete patronisation. Not one of them had any idea what I was talking about.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your dietitian seems to be doing their job, informing you that low carb diets are not supported due to limited knowledge of how healthy they are in the med to long term. Also telling you eating no carbs is lowering your bg artificially. If you were truly in remission you could eat any amount carbs and stay normal hba1c wise. The Mediterranean diet is 40%fat why not do this or the dash diet they are proven healthy diets with evidence of effect with no unknowns.

A diabetic(T2) will NEVER be able to eat large amounts of carbs and regulate their blood sugars. This is because diabetes is essentially a condition whereby you are intolerant of carbohydrate. As soon as a 'reversed' diabetic goes back to their old way of eating, the condition will retiurn. Essentially a low carb diet controls the blood sugars, it doesn't reverse the process of the condition. I choose not to eat huge amounts of carbs. That is my choice and it has been very successful so far. You can keep the DASH diet, look where America is with Obesity and heart disease, it has been highly successful in treating that, hasn't it? Oh, wait, no, it hasn't........

Reactions: rom35 and Guzzler

Jan_1955

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Low carbs work simple....Well done

Reactions: dbr10

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think using the word remission is a disgrace. I am on here trying to get help and all I see is this word.

Remission is for cancer. Full stop.

My sister was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

She went into remission!

My cousins had breast and ovarian cancer They went into remission.

My father had bowel cancer. Was diagnosed on Tuesday was dead the following Thursday. No remission.

My sister then got bowel cancer She died no remission.

Then my mum got bowel cancer and is currently in remission!?

So please all stop saying remission in terms of diabetes!!!!!!

It is not! The same!

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think using the word remission is a disgrace. I am on here trying to get help and all I see is this word.

She went into remission!

My father had bowel cancer. Was diagnosed on Tuesday was dead the following Thursday. No remission.

It is not! The same!

I'm so sorry for your loss, but the word remission is simply a term to say that a condition is 'on hold' and is used in many other conditions, not just cancer, I'm afraid. I understand how you must feel after a similar thing happening to my own mother(she had lung cancer, was told she was in remission, and was dead a couple of weeks later). It is a genuine medical term, however and is a more accurate description of what some diabetics are managing to do for themselves. Their condition isn't cured, and it's not reversed, so the word is indeed accurate in describing what happens. Again, not meaning to antagonise or cause any hurt, Rosie 1988, it must be terribly raw for you.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind

She went into remission!

It is not! The same!

I like the word controlled. We control our BG levels with low carb eating

Last edited:
Reactions: ROSIE1988 and rom35

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fat health care workers deserve to be shamed, not because they are fat, but because they are part of a system that goes to extraordinary lengths to prevent valid scientific discussion of the subject and refuse to act on evidence of misconduct in research. Health care workers who aren’t fat deserve to be shamed for the same reason.
When I have gone for an appointment at the hospital. I usually after my appointment go to the hospital restaurant and have a cup of coffee. I was absolutely shocked to see the nurses and doctors eating chips, crisps, pies etc. My appointment was nothing to do with diabetes as I am pre-diabetic or not sure if I am now with my numbers, because of eating low carb, but these people should be setting an example. Many are overweight themselves

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The nurse that I saw was in full agreement with my way of eating. In fact, she is doing the same and gleamed at how much weight she had lost.She told me about other patients having success on low carb eating. She also agreed that bread and other high carb foods should be eaten at a minimum if at all.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The nurse that I saw was in full agreement with my way of eating. In fact, she is doing the same and gleamed at how much weight she had lost.She told me about other patients having success on low carb eating. She also agreed that bread and other high carb foods should be eaten at a minimum if at all.

My comment was aimed at HCAs who aren't trained nurses. Most nurses I know have no idea of low carb eating, are openly sceptical of it, and are patronising at the very least(and I'm a nurse.......so I know a lot of nurses)! I have had several dealings with an HCA in my local hospital clinic who really shouldn't be allowed near a hospital patient at all, she is rude, obnoxious and very belittling of people. Because she isn't on a register or have a code of conduct to uphold, she gets away with this behaviour. Good for you you have a nurse who is supportive! I find my consultant more supportive than all his nursing staff put together........

Reactions: zand