Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Can remember being hungry all the time and kids at school, when I was 11, telling me that I looked as though my Mum didn't feed me.........
That was after 3 years of insulin as well.....

Reactions: porl69

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What Id like to ask is... all those T1's who have and who are posting in this thread.... When you speak of being young and not taking as much care..... how long did you not take your diabetes seriously.... what was your HBA1c back then.... and now that you are taking care...what is your hba1c now?
Didn't do HBA1c s when I was diagnosed: it was a once a year blood test only. When I was 14 it was 2 blood tests on the same day, one at 11am and 1 at 3pm. I think the HBA1c came about when I had, had diabetes for around 25 years

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was diagnosed in 1972 at the age of 12. I've been using a pump for the last ten years and a CGM for the past couple of weeks. Like others here, early control was terrible - finding myself unconscious or near-unconscious on a regular basis from low BGs. Single shot of insulin a day, which peaked during late morning, forcing me to stuff myself full of carbs to prevent a plummeting BG. No BG tests, just urine tests. Then the insulin would run out in late evening meaning sky high BGs overnight.

In my late teens I worked out that running in the evenings stopped the jump in BGs overnight (still no BG tests available), and so have kept up running (and other activities) ever since. Then around 1980, after knocking myself out on a skating rink (as you do) and winding up in hospital, I was kept there also to stabilise my BGs. Switched over to MDI. I was so impressed by how much better I felt when using the hospital's BG measuring device (a big machine) I begged and pleaded if there was any sort of device I could borrow or rent to do this at home. Doctors looked at each other, disappeared for a while, and came back with one of the first home BG meters ever invented - the size of a house brick! I believe it was originally designed by some Melbourne engineer for his T1 daughter, then developed by Ames, but the details escape me now.

Anyhow, no complications, highly fit and waiting for another 7 years to get that medal :).

If someone were to ask me what the secret is to surviving T1, I'd say (apart from picking the right genes and controlling BGs), high amounts of exercise. Live like an athlete (but no doping! :)).

Cheers,
Nicholas
Lots of exercise definitely makes a huge difference.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Am now 64 1/2---better pack a whole load more experiences in then.........!!!!!

60 now, so I'm gonna go and be as healthy as I can and for longer too ................. just to prove I can ;):p

Last edited:

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I amT1. Now just over 60 years of 2 insulin injections each day.

My motto is “I must be doing something right or I would not still be here!”

Just thought that I should try to work out how many injections I have given myself over the years then decided I did not want to know,

I use exercise to fix high BG > last week cut up a tree for firewood—- used hand saw and chain saw for the trunk which was 28 inches across. § enough wood for 1/2 of next winter and 2 massive blisters.

So far no complications just seem to take longer than others to heal!

New puppy which is getting our family a lot of exercise - a husky Alsatian wolf cross now 5 months old and can easily put her feet on my shoulders- currently teething and in stroppy teenager mode.

The way I manage things is to work on the basis that I can do anything but I always take my sandwiches with me. # fine except on a jet ski.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountaintom

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Hi all
Type 1 for almost 46 years coming up 50 next month
No complications and eat and drink what I want when I want
Lost control for a while when I lost over 10st in 6 months due to increased insulin sensitivity.
I remember before blood sugar testing having a test tube ,dropper and tablets.
Had to drop 2 drops of urine with 10 drops of water into a test tube and add the tablet.When the fizzing subsided your sugar level would be high if the contents of the test tube was yellowy/orange, good if green and low if blue (IIR).Times have certainly come on a long way since then as now found out I don't have to use a javelin of a needle to inject and have started a 3 month trial of the Freestyle Libre trial where I'll look at my watch (in a few days) or scan with my andoid phone to see my BG. Currently thinking of switching to a pump after speaking to my diabetologist.
I reckon I must have had around 90000 injections over approx 40 years. Glad someone told me about smaller needles!

Reactions: Angm44

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
What a great response to your question. I admire all of you.!
IMG_3102 (1).jpg
Sometimes all of can do is the best you can
51 years and going strong (luck mainly I think). Diagnosed at age 13 in 1966 (the year that decimal currency was launched in Oz) in Sydney. Minor complications of cataracts, carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger fingers. I am yet to work out if aches and pains are just age-related or not. In that quest of discovery: Variable response to 400 mg CoQ 10, negative for coeliac disease and bugging more doctor to recheck thyroid as there is a family history of it. Gentle exercise helps as well as keeping mentally stimulated and challenged.

Happy2bepart

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't like hot weather
Yes I became diabetic type 1 when In was 11, now 54 years ago. Many memories of the auto-injecting device...It was metal and quite often broke the glass syringes we used then. Then insulin was zinc based, so caused nasty lumps of you injected it in the same place for more than a couple of times. I do find sighting my injections still a problem, as the absorption can vary so much. Even when I used the pump system, it could still be difficult. Not keen on pumps because of the leads.from the pump to the insertion sight. They always get caught in something. Can't get the cellnover devices on the NHS in Dorset, not can we get the Freestyle Libre glucose monitoring devices get either. No help to help yourself.

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have been on insulin since the age of 13 back in 1962 when I was rushed to hospital by ambulance so nearly 56 years now. No previous family history of Diabetes so am still waiting on either mothers or fathers side of family owning up to being the cause, but they are all still clear. Years ago I got told I would get a Banting and Best award if I survived for 40 years on insulin, but Diabetic clinic didn’t know anything about it so think there are so many of us now that they probably stopped it long ago.

Managed to have two healthy sons by elective sections when I was in hospital for three months solid for first pregnancy as there were no home blood texts then but in 1979 when my second son was due I got one of the first blood tests so was only kept in hospital for two months but let out every weekend as I could test bloods at home.

Did trials for the new human insulin and then got one of the first pen injectors to trial as they were invented by my Diabetic Clinic’s Dr Ireland of the Old Southern General hospital, so that was a marvellous invention and gave me a lot more freedom.

Am just now starting to feel my age as I have just turned 69 but apart from Appendicitis, 2 Ovarian cysts, Hysterectomy and other normal ailments I have only once been hospitalised due to Diabetes and that was when I was very pregnant and had a bad hypo. The hospital gave me a Glass of milk, kept me in overnight and then sent me home!!

Still not good control of blood tests but I do try to watch my diet though now with DAFNE I have at last started to enjoy normal food with a few treats.

Never met another Diabetic for a good few years, so am amazed how many have developed it over the last decade.

There is life after Diabetes, but I count myself lucky as there are so many other cruel diseases around.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed November 1960 at 14, Only slight problems ,I have lost sensation in some of my toes and a small bleed in my eye 5 years ago. My biggist problem is ,after all these years I find the GP /Consultant want toi teach a dog a new trick with I do not follow all the time?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Diagnozed aged 6 and have just reached 50.
Eye trouble about 10 years ago and have developed coeliacs and BAM.
I work and drive and am physically in better shape than I ever have been.
My control is tighter now than it ever has been.

In the words of young Mr Grace........."you've all done very well!"

Tony

Reactions: porl69

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to all,
i have not been back on the forum for many years, this year is my 57th year with type 1 received the blessing when i was 4 years old . i have many health issues, but only a few relate to diabetes, i have all fingers and toes and have been asked to be involved with doctors final exams here in Australia 4 times, in many ways it has been a blessing because, i have had to always watch what i ate or drank, and keep reasonably fit, and look after my feet. Congratulations to all of you know matter how long you have had diabetes because you have proven you can all manage your well being well, because the alternative would not be on the Forum.
Congrats ALL
Best Regards
Toby

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just over 37 years for me diagnosed in 1981 aged 20. I had joined the police force aged 19 and because I was still in probation period lost my dream job. Did not let it get me down and I am still here today with just some mild diabetic eye issues

Looking back I really wonder how I and other diabetcs pre 1990 actually survived. Glass syringes, only urine test and insulins that were not that great.

I have always ran pretty high blood glucose and its probably only in past 3/4 years I have actually taken it a bit more seriously

Just got my Libre on prescription a few days ago and hoping this will make a huge improvement to my blood glucose

Congratulations to all on here who have pulled through to the other side, is spite of this horrible medical issue.

Thanks for all the tips and hints and support that you guys give, you are the best

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just over 37 years for me diagnosed in 1981 aged 20. I had joined the police force aged 19 and because I was still in probation period lost my dream job. Did not let it get me down and I am still here today with just some mild diabetic eye issues

Looking back I really wonder how I and other diabetcs pre 1990 actually survived. Glass syringes, only urine test and insulins that were not that great.

I have always ran pretty high blood glucose and its probably only in past 3/4 years I have actually taken it a bit more seriously

Just got my Libre on prescription a few days ago and hoping this will make a huge improvement to my blood glucose

Congratulations to all on here who have pulled through to the other side, is spite of this horrible medical issue.

Thanks for all the tips and hints and support that you guys give, you are the best
Lol on the wonder how we survived comment. I've had it 40 years from age 10 and remember well the glass syringes and the urine testing that would turn blue or orange, it's range covering a whopping 2mmol/l from 10 to 12. Great. Seems like voodoo medicine compared with the CGM available today.

Well done on getting libre on NHS what HA is that?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the Libre from Lanarkshire health authority, in Scotland. I was one of the lucky ones as they are only rolling out around 12 a month. The fact that I did the DAFNE course about 6 weeks ago helped swing things for me

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 for 48 yrs and still looking good and feeling ok most of the time.
Feel lucky not to have.other horrible.diseases which cannot b treated.
Survived cancer twice so must be doing something right.
I have been fighting this.and will continue not to be beaten.
Long live the Libre and when it.becomes prescribed on NHS !!

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just like to say thank you to everyone who have offered their stories and insight. It is inspiring and also comforting. I'm halfway to being 40 years diabetic and the last 23 years have just flown by.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just out of interest how many of the 40 years + people have issues because of it? I am 31 years and counting now and apart from a bit of background retinopathy I am doing pretty well. However as I am still only 40 years old I have a long way to go and was wondering about the chances of things deteriorating. I read somewhere the average life expectancy of a T1 is 69 so that is not really very good and what also worries me is quality of life rather than quantity

I’m 30 years and 39 years old - same as you; only background retinopathy. Never been able to grasp great control but always trying to. My consultant told me I’ll outlive my husband and to stop worrying. (He is an amazing leading expert in the T1 field) He said it is unlikely to have kidney damage / other damage if not affected by now. He confirmed this in writing to my GP when discussing appointment.

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Going on 80 years old and have been on insulin since1964. Pumping for nearly ten years and using Libre since January. No complications and feel fit and well. Only other medication is 75mg of aspirin daily. Pay reasonably good attention to my diabetes but don't make an issue out of it. Couldn't possibly put up with the rigmarole of counting carbs but eat everything in moderation and don't gobble my food. HbA1c, tested biannually, regularly just below 6% but am still hypo aware.

Reactions: Peppergirl