Bad news Update

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like I'm up for round two. Me vs cervical cancer.
On a positive note, the lymph node I was worried about has carried on shrinking.
Bad news is that there is something growing where the cancer was. Oncologist isn't sure how to proceed and needs to consult with the team, but I'll need another PET scan and possibly surgery.
Another appointment in three weeks.

I'd like some advice on a keto cancer diet please? As these cancers seem to feed on glucose it makes sense to reduce it.
Looking online gives me conflicting information. ie grass fed meat, no dairy ? etc.
I've never measured ketones so don't really know how low carb I'd have to go ? What do you use to measure your ketones please and where do I buy that ?

UPDATE

I've had the result of my PET scan and it is back !
I've been referred to the surgical team and am meeting them tomorrow to see what can be done .
Still feeling fit and well though.

Last edited:

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Oh my, wishing you the best of luck with that. I can't give you keto advice but ... I would do exactly the same as you're suggesting. Makes sense to remove all sugars/carbs. If you can afford organic / grass fed, go for it. That's what I'd do too. Please keep us updated. ((big hugs))

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @daisyduck and very sorry to hear your news.

I can’t help with specifics of keto in relation to cancer, but can help with the ketones. I use the Caresens Dual, which is free from Spirit Healthcare. It comes with 2 free ketone strips and 10 free blood glucose strips. The ketone strips work out about £1 each. Don’t use it for BG monitoring as I’m happy with the SD Codefree that is cheaper for that purpose.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/caresens-dual-blood-glucose-and-ketone-meter/

All the best.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:( Lots of hugs to Daisy Duck! Good luck, and hooray for the small positive that you mentioned! I don't do keto, but for ketone testing I use the Freestyle Optium Neo (this is a combined blood glucose and blood ketone meter). If you have a libre, the readers can also be used as blood glucose and blood ketone meters. Also, there are urine testing strips which can be used (And if i recall correctly they are a bit cheaper).

Reactions: daisyduck

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@daisyduck really feel for you life seems so unfair at times please accept a big hug from me. I cant send links for the info but sure you've done some googling that there's increasing evidence re keto being helpful with cancer treatment and possibly - not sure how evidential this is - the cells spreading too also think that there is something on intermittent fasting being helpful. Best starting point is probably diet doctor. Keto does make you feel good so that in itself may be of benefit whilst you are undergoing difficult times. Keto is individual re carbs to some degree but most people achieve under 30 grams of carb per day others have to go 20. Presuming you are already lchf? If you are you can just start reducing carbs in increments and test ketones as you go. When first started I bought per sticks as cheap and gave me a guideline but over time they were not useful as don't really pick up the middle or low bits which is where you want to be. Like @Goonergal I got the free Caren's dual meter from spirit healthcare it's free and although strips expensive once you're buzzing along you really only need to test occasionally or if you're worried that you changed carbs etc.
Wishing you all the best ask questions anytime I've been keto for six months now and have never felt as well. I didn't have keto flu as I did it gently over a month before went keto via lchf for one month. I generally stay between 1.4 and 3.3 but if above that tend to know as feel so hungry at same time and so eat when get high result. Be kind to yourself - lots of low carb treats and take it very slowly and gently your health is precious

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
While you wait for BB and Blue to log in you may be interested in the presentations on Low Carb Down Under and Low Carb Breckenridge on Youtube. Here's a link to just one of them.

Sending you gentle hugs and positive thoughts.

Pauline.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like I'm up for round two. Me vs cervical cancer.
On a positive note, the lymph node I was worried about has carried on shrinking.
Bad news is that there is something growing where the cancer was. Oncologist isn't sure how to proceed and needs to consult with the team, but I'll need another PET scan and possibly surgery.
Another appointment in three weeks.

I'd like some advice on a keto cancer diet please? As these cancers seem to feed on glucose it makes sense to reduce it.
Looking online gives me conflicting information. ie grass fed meat, no dairy ? etc.
I've never measured ketones so don't really know how low carb I'd have to go ? What do you use to measure your ketones please and where do I buy that ?
Hi daisyduck
Sorry to hear your news.. there is a fairly large section in the www.ketogenicforums.com about keto and cancer but its in a secure area so I can't link you to it directly as you'll have to sign up to the forums to access it. I would recommend you do that if you want to get some info. I haven't really looked into it much but there are some amazing success stories especially but not solely with brain tumours. There are a few studies about chemo and keto and how ultra low carb can help with recovery times. Apart from that recommendation maybe check out Professor Thomas Seyfried who is a bit of an expert on cancer and keto.
Hope that helps a bit and that you get better very soon. Big hugs M

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @daisyduck that really is tough luck. All I can do is offer you lots of hugs and warm wishes. My cancer treatment came before I was diagnosed diabetic (and possibly contributed to it), and although I eat very low carb, I have never checked my ketones and have no idea if I have any or not. (perhaps I should start).

I do know that some types of breast cancer and cervical cancer are related in that the cancer is fed off female hormones, notably oestrogen. Those patients are advised to avoid foods that are high in oestrogen. There are several sites on Google that give details of these. Perhaps worth a bit of research?

I wish you all the best in this worrying time, but hang on to the fact your suspicious lymph node is shrinking. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @daisyduck what a blow! You must be reeling.

All good suggestions above, and I am sure that the KetoDudes forum will discuss autophagy in detail, with the potential benefits for cancer patients. But as an intro, have a look at the work that Volter Longo is doing on autophagy, and how fasting and ketone bodies can help the body to vacuum up its own tired and unnecessary cells - which also helps to shrink tumours.

Ivor Cummins (thefatemperor on youtube) has some interviews about cancer and fighting it by very low carb/zero carb eating. Some of them can also be found on the dietdoctor site, I believe.

Also, have a read up on Vitamins D3 and K2.
I have seen a fair few comments connecting low Vit D3 with increased cancer risk, and how supplentation will lower that risk. Very ironic,considering that we have all been told to avoid the sun because of skin cancer risk, yet having enough Vit D in us will actually protect against a lot of the cancers.

I must admit that this is not a subject that I have done much reading about, except to make a mental note to myself that 'If I ever need to, I know where to find the info...'.

Have a hug.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think there is enough research although as BulkBiker has gugested Thomas Seigfried is the pioneer in this but has looked at brain cancers. I found Travis Kristofferson s book Tripping OVer the Truth interesting too as it explains the theory in ways I can understand as a non scientist!

A cookbook has been written by 2 cancer survivors and nutritionists called The Ketogenic Kitchen by Domini Kemp and Patricia Daly which offers a low carb approach leading into a keto approach and discusses the issues around this and cancer.
HIope you find the information you need to make decisions on what next with your oncologist.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone.. lots of info for me to study. Off out now but will follow up on my return.
The positive thing is I'm already quite low carb.. about 60 g and am still feeling well and fit :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just a hug from me. Hope you continue to feel strong.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
So sorry to hear your news. I have no advice, just a hug.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for your kind words and support.
Thanks @bulkbiker I've joined the keto forum and read the article.
Thanks @Goonergal Caresens meter on order with extra ketone strips
Thanks @Guzzler I'm about to watch the video

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @daisyduck, so sorry to hear your news. Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way and for your family as well as this is upsetting for everyone.....Please keep us posted when able....Blessings/L

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you have access to Amazon films this film has opened my eyes to options should I need them. The Science of Fasting in summary has convincing anecdotal evidence from Russia and Germany concerning treatments for fatty liver, diabetes, cancer and other conditions:

https://www.amazon.com/Science-Fasting-Sylvie-Gilman/dp/B075848T5T