Spike pre Exercise....Amazing!!

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So this morning I woke up at Blood sugar of 7. Using the libre i was similar. Stead blood through the night. I commuted into work on my bike, but the amazing thing was that without eating and the process of getting ready to get on the bike, my blood 15 min later went to 11!

It was almost like my body dumped the sugar into my blood in prep for the ride, before i even started cycling!!

Anyone else have similar effects?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Lol....yeah its called the dawn phenomenon (spelling AAARGH). Basically you liver dumping glucose to get you going in the morning.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
OR its you psychic liver knowing you was going to do exercise ;)

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or my brain telling my liver to get some sugar in my blood as am about to blast an hours ride!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
So this morning I woke up at Blood sugar of 7. Using the libre i was similar. Stead blood through the night. I commuted into work on my bike, but the amazing thing was that without eating and the process of getting ready to get on the bike, my blood 15 min later went to 11!

It was almost like my body dumped the sugar into my blood in prep for the ride, before i even started cycling!!

Anyone else have similar effects?
Yep, I get dawn dump consistently despite trying to outwit my clairvoyant liver, not with impending exercise but with a few carbs.

Reactions: porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely happens.
Agree with the dawn phenomenon but also believe in what some term " feet on the floor " syndrome.
Levels stay perfect throughout the night but as soon as you rise the levels go up.
What's the difference? A lot of people find dawn phenomenon occurs whilst asleep at a set time in the night, around 3 hrs before rising.
Feet on the floor is exactly that, up until that point nothing happens. Happens to me most Saturday mornings. Usually get up but leave breakfast and injections for any hour or so. Rise at 7 , nothing to eat, nothing remotely physical yet I'll be in the teens by breakfast time. For me I have to inject 2 or 3 units of novorapid to cover the rise.

Reactions: karen8967

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Usually get up but leave breakfast and injections for any hour or so. Rise at 7 , nothing to eat, nothing remotely physical yet I'll be in the teens by breakfast time.
So why not leave a little something in the bathroom overnight to eat first thing in the morning and, maybe, avoid the rise?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alexandra100 . It may work, but this would result in me eating when I have no desire to eat .
We breakfast out. Having a little something to eat that I don't want just to combat my livers attempt at helping me is not the way I control my diabetes.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 . It may work, but this would result in me eating when I have no desire to eat .
We breakfast out. Having a little something to eat that I don't want just to combat my livers attempt at helping me is not the way I control my diabetes.
Yes, but you are complaining that you are NOT controlling your diabetes to your satisfaction. When I say, a little something, I only mean eg 50g (about a small matchbox in size) high fat, low carb cheddar cheese, which is what I use. It sounds to me as if your body does not react well to fasting. Quite a lot of us have this problem. What you do about it is up to you.

However, in general I totally agree that it is not a good idea to force food down that one doesn't fancy. I am trying currently to stop myself clearing my plate when I feel I've had enough, even if it means leaving an awkward 2 spoonfuls. Even, heaven help me, wasting food that I have worked so hard to buy, cook etc, as well as insulting the planet!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alexandra100 . If I could just point out a few points of interest.
1 . I am not complaining about anything diabetes related.
2. I , along with my consultant, GP and DSN are more than satisfied with my control.
3. Your advice of high fat, low carb falls very strongly into the myth and nonsense that is LCHF.
4. My body responds perfectly well overnight, if this constitutes fasting. Do I fast at any other times? Most definitely not.
5. Apologies if I appear slightly defensive but I've been playing this game a long time.:)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 . If I could just point out a few points of interest.
1 . I am not complaining about anything diabetes related.
2. I , along with my consultant, GP and DSN are more than satisfied with my control.
3. Your advice of high fat, low carb falls very strongly into the myth and nonsense that is LCHF.
4. My body responds perfectly well overnight, if this constitutes fasting. Do I fast at any other times? Most definitely not.
5. Apologies if I appear slightly defensive but I've been playing this game a long time.:)
At the risk of seeming defensive myself, I'd just like to make it clear that I have NEVER advised anyone to eat HF.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely happens.
Agree with the dawn phenomenon but also believe in what some term " feet on the floor " syndrome.
Levels stay perfect throughout the night but as soon as you rise the levels go up.
What's the difference? A lot of people find dawn phenomenon occurs whilst asleep at a set time in the night, around 3 hrs before rising.
Feet on the floor is exactly that, up until that point nothing happens. Happens to me most Saturday mornings. Usually get up but leave breakfast and injections for any hour or so. Rise at 7 , nothing to eat, nothing remotely physical yet I'll be in the teens by breakfast time. For me I have to inject 2 or 3 units of novorapid to cover the rise.
This is what happens to me all the time flat line on libre all night then soon as my feet hit the floor bgs start rising dont eat till i get to work and usually correct then but i rise about 2/4mmol most days

Reactions: therower