SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi
I've Googled myself silly looking for a biscuit recipe that's tried and tested. I don't mind the flavour but I don't want to go and buy any more funny stuff
In the pantry the weirdos I've got (you can tell I'm not used to the stuff yet)
almond and coconut flour
organic cocoa powder
erythritol
xanthan gum
and the usual suspects, eggs, butter, double cream, 100% choc
Suggestions please.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. This is a road I have travelled down too.

I will tell you now that cookie recipes are softer and chewier than uk biscuit expectations. I want the crunch factor, and am always disappointed.

LC ingredients seem to lend themselves to non-crunchy textures.

Lots of ‘shortbread’ recipes out there, but none of them have really hit the spot for me. So far. Which is a pity because Mr B loves a good biccie.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yes. This is a road I have travelled down too.

I will tell you now that cookie recipes are softer and chewier than uk biscuit expectations. I want the crunch factor, and am always disappointed.

LC ingredients seem to lend themselves to non-crunchy textures.

Lots of ‘shortbread’ recipes out there, but none of them have really hit the spot for me. So far. Which is a pity because Mr B loves a good biccie.
Totally agree. I want the crunch. Mr A has his own full sugar bought bics. If I find one, I'll let you know.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I love this low carb lemon almond shortbread. Just four ingredients almond flour, butter, sweetener and lemon zest, although I add a teaspoon of lemon essence too to make them even more lemony.
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free/
These are the measurements I use in metric:
90g bitter
280g almond flour
45g sweetener
Grated zest of one lemon
1 tsp lemon essence
Thanks @Rachox. I thought fora minute I was another weird ingredient short. I might give this a go this afternoon if I'm not swimming.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Rachox. I thought fora minute I was another weird ingredient short. I might give this a go this afternoon if I'm not swimming.
Oh a typo! ‘Bitter’ instead of ‘butter’, sorry! :joyful:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this low carb lemon almond shortbread. Just four ingredients almond flour, butter, sweetener and lemon zest, although I add a teaspoon of lemon essence too to make them even more lemony.
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free/
90g bitter
280g almond flour
45g sweetener
Grated zest of one lemon
1 tsp lemon essence
Hi, thank you for posting the link I will definitely have a go at making these. I agree that some of the recipes for “cookies” are too soft for us to consider them a biscuit and I often long for something with a bit of texture and a crunch. I am wondering if the almond flour could be replaced with coconut

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, thank you for posting the link I will definitely have a go at making these. I agree that some of the recipes for “cookies” are too soft for us to consider them a biscuit and I often long for something with a bit of texture and a crunch. I am wondering if the almond flour could be replaced with coconut

I actually use ground almonds rather than flourwhich being more ‘grainy’ I think maybe add to the texture and it’s cheaper. I think the absorption properties are different for coconut flour as opposed to almond, so I’m not sure it would work?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly, my mother has a fantastic shortbread recipe, which she has been using for decades. It uses wheat flour and sugar (of course), but then ground almonds as well. May give your recipe a go, @Rachox :D

Reactions: Rachox

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually use ground almonds rather than flourwhich being more ‘grainy’ I think maybe add to the texture and it’s cheaper. I think the absorption properties are different for coconut flour as opposed to almond, so I’m not sure it would work?
I use ground almond too, as you say it’s cheaper and adds a little bit of texture, also easier to find in local shops and stores. You are right about the difference in the properties between almond and flour, often recipes state you can substitute but the quantities need to be changed.

I’m still looking for the Adonis bars you mentioned in another post, haven’t found them in my local Tesco or Waitrose so may have to buy online.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m still looking for the Adonis bars you mentioned in another post, haven’t found them in my local Tesco or Waitrose so may have to buy online.

I’ve only found them in my local Spar, and yes on Amazon.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use ground almond too, as you say it’s cheaper and adds a little bit of texture, also easier to find in local shops and stores. You are right about the difference in the properties between almond and flour, often recipes state you can substitute but the quantities need to be changed.

https://www.adonis-foods.com/
You can buy them online from Yumbles (£5 off offer if you spend over a certain amount -20 or 25 quid), Amazon or direct from Adonis

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
90g bitter
280g almond flour
45g sweetener
Grated zest of one lemon
1 tsp lemon essence
I give these a thumbs-up too - about the only biscuit thing I've found with a bit of crunch. I've added grated fresh ginger, spices and vanilla essence too (although not all at the same time!) and make them with ground almond.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I give these a thumbs-up too - about the only biscuit thing I've found with a bit of crunch. I've added grated fresh ginger, spices and vanilla essence too (although not all at the same time!) and make them with ground almond.
Oh a typo! ‘Bitter’ instead of ‘butter’, sorry! :joyful:
Thanks for the laugh and the measurements, much easier to use.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - I appreciate these bars aren't what you're looking for, but I encountered them yesterday in Aldi. I don't "do" biscuits and bars, but I thought somebody might find then handy.

In terms of recipes for home made, in general terms, IBreatheImHungry, DitchTheCarbs and SugarFreeMom are reliable sites, in terms of quality. The former two also do excellent aggregated posts from time to time. I'm sure they'll both, if not att have loads of cookie recipes.

Attachments

• IMG_2162.JPG
    IMG_2162.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 189

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They stock 2 flavours at Holland and Barrett

Thanks for that. Same price as Amazon. I hope my Spar continue to stock them as they are considerably cheaper there. Yes I’ve tried both flavours and enjoy them both.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. Same price as Amazon. I hope my Spar continue to stock them as they are considerably cheaper there. Yes I’ve tried both flavours and enjoy them both.
I’m going tomorrow on my way home, there are a couple of ingredients I need for some recipes I saw on ruled.me website that I would like to try :happy:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - I appreciate these bars aren't what you're looking for, but I encountered them yesterday in Aldi. I don't "do" biscuits and bars, but I thought somebody might find then handy.

In terms of recipes for home made, in general terms, IBreatheImHungry, DitchTheCarbs and SugarFreeMom are reliable sites, in terms of quality. The former two also do excellent aggregated posts from time to time. I'm sure they'll both, if not att have loads of cookie recipes.
Thank you for the suggestion, I have an Aldi store near me so will look out for these too :happy:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hey @Rachox, you are a star lady and brilliant biscuits. Thanks soooooooooooooooo much.
@Brunneria ......... they'll do and aren't soggy like macaroons but mine only had that real crunch around the edge, longer cooking perhaps.
@jayney27 and @Sue192 a reallly good biscuit, I just wanted to eat morrrrre