3 month review with diabetes nurse

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Reporting back from my 3-months since diagnosis appointment with my nurse today.

She was really pleased and amazed about my latest HbA1c of 42, from a high of 72 at the end of December. I had typed up a few notes of what I'd done to show her (in a nutshell - 2 months of Blood Sugar Diet and the following weeks on more calories but still low carb high fat with some fasting - plus I mentioned the support I had from this site and forum). She was so excited - and wants me to write the details up again with an introduction as well, so they can put it into their magazine for other patients to read! She is so up on the latest research and totally agrees with me that low carb is the way forward and in her words that low fat diets are based on 'one piece of flawed research from the 1950s'. She says she has had one other patient reverse their diabetes using the Newcastle Diet and that they were just as evangelical as I was.

I showed her my copy of The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung and she wrote down his name as she wants to read the book herself (whoop! @bulkbiker @DJC3 - hopefully a new Fung fan is born!).

She totally understands that the current guidelines do not work, but it was heartening to hear that she feels the low carb message is really filtering through now as more and more research becomes available, and at some point the guidelines will catch up. She also agreed that my cholesterol profile, although the total has risen, has improved with higher HDL and low trigs and that the ratios are what counts. She said - "which means I won't be giving you a statin" - I responded, "that's good, because I wouldn't have taken it!"
I won't have my bloods taken again for another 6 months now.

She had another nurse sitting in with her and at the end she said, "thank you so much, you have really made our week!"

I hope this experience gives other members on here some encouragement that low carb is becoming more well-known and that times are changing - although at the same time I realise I am very lucky to have such an exceptionally forward-thinking nurse.

Edited to add: I forgot to say the most important point of all - THANK YOU everyone on this forum, without your support I wouldn't have had the confidence to stick with the LCHF lifestyle, let alone tell my nurse this is what I had done - most of the information I have found to help me has been from this site, you are all wonderful.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, what a wonderful nurse!! And hopefully the nurse sitting in with her will have learnt a few things, too.

Well done Eggs. Proud of you. :)

Reactions: Mick1959 and dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Gold Stars are hereby awarded to you and your DN! What a great result, well done.

Reactions: Debandez

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 - I know I'd already posted about my latest result, but felt I should also share how the nurse appt went as it is so encouraging that some nurses and doctors are cottoning on to low carb and its amazing results.

Yes indeed, such a relief the word is getting out there.
Really glad she took note of Jason Fung’s book too.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sun is finally shining - it's too hot! ;) - and there's a fab post to read from @eggs11! Very well done and keep hold of that nurse, she's a star (as are you).

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of wonderful nurses, I'm really chuffed that the fantastic DN at another practice, who runs the diabetes support group, is up for the Patients' Choice Award on the RCNi website (public voting now!). She's stuck to the LCHF method in the face of opposition from all sides and has given so much of her time and effort to 'the cause'. Maybe you could nominate yours, @eggs11, for the next round?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of wonderful nurses, I'm really chuffed that the fantastic DN at another practice, who runs the diabetes support group, is up for the Patients' Choice Award on the RCNi website (public voting now!). She's stuck to the LCHF method in the face of opposition from all sides and has given so much of her time and effort to 'the cause'. Maybe you could nominate yours, @eggs11, for the next round?
Oooh that's a brilliant idea, thanks for the info @Sue192 - I will check it out. I would love to nominate my nurse, she's awesome!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11 wow what encouraging news re your DN wish I had one like that. I’m booked to see mine in three weeks time with bloods week before and pleased I can get my results online beforehand so I can arm myself for when see her. At December review my 33 count on the hbaca1 and my at that stage two and a half stone weight loss was hardly mentioned - all the focus was on my one raised result my cholesterol and why I needed to take statins to stop me having a heart attack - so expecting same again but will see. It’s crazy isn’t it I’ve never been so well or so fit, have regular low bg readings, on no medication at all and after more than three stone loss, a bmi of 21 but I’m not expecting to get an - how did you do it?
Really thrilled for you and delighted you are been encouraged to share your story in your practice and let’s all hope that it catches on at other gps pr@ctices too.
Well done and a congratulatory hug and a big well done from me

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great @eggs11
So pleased that you have support from your nurse. Such an encouraging story and well done you for the hard work.

Reactions: ianpspurs

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11 wow what encouraging news re your DN wish I had one like that. I’m booked to see mine in three weeks time with bloods week before and pleased I can get my results online beforehand so I can arm myself for when see her. At December review my 33 count on the hbaca1 and my at that stage two and a half stone weight loss was hardly mentioned - all the focus was on my one raised result my cholesterol and why I needed to take statins to stop me having a heart attack - so expecting same again but will see. It’s crazy isn’t it I’ve never been so well or so fit, have regular low bg readings, on no medication at all and after more than three stone loss, a bmi of 21 but I’m not expecting to get an - how did you do it?
Really thrilled for you and delighted you are been encouraged to share your story in your practice and let’s all hope that it catches on at other gps pr@ctices too.
Well done and a congratulatory hug and a big well done from me
Argh so frustrating that your nurse isn't acknowledging the evidence you have presented right in front her - a normal HbA1c, huge weight loss and a truly excellent BMI (I am extremely envious of that BMI!!). I wish you could have my nurse instead. Thank goodness we can all support each other on this forum though - your success and encouragement has really spurred me on to make the changes I did and continue to make.

Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Argh so frustrating that your nurse isn't acknowledging the evidence you have presented right in front her - a normal HbA1c, huge weight loss and a truly excellent BMI (I am extremely envious of that BMI!!). I wish you could have my nurse instead. Thank goodness we can all support each other on this forum though - your success and encouragement has really spurred me on to make the changes I did and continue to make.
Agree with you about the forum so many great lovely supportive people on here and after my December review I got a massive amount of extra support re the heart attack worry that was foisted on me at that stage with links to lots of lectures @nd research materials about the lack of real evidence linking high cholesterol with heart attack risk. Will be interesting to see my next results !

Reactions: Prem51 and eggs11

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with you about the forum so many great lovely supportive people on here and after my December review I got a massive amount of extra support re the heart attack worry that was foisted on me at that stage with links to lots of lectures @nd research materials about the lack of real evidence linking high cholesterol with heart attack risk. Will be interesting to see my next results !

Indeed, and I learnt from here that the total cholesterol number was useless without a breakdown. I was therefore able to point out the improvement in the breakdown of my cholesterol numbers to my GP even though the total had remained the same! I hadn’t a clue about that before.