Bread ... why?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was a kid, a treat was buttered toast with lashings of marmite and a variety of different fruits - mashed banana ( no sugar), grapes, melon or apple slices
Not the best for a diabetic in waiting maybe, but positively healthy compared to one of my best friends whose favourite sandwhich consisted of a bar of Dairy Milk chocolate between 2 slices of thick sliced white bread
Wow I must have had a deprived childhood. I cant decide whether I would have preferred tea at yours or your friends!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My bananas were mashed, with sugar and the cream top off the milk. I also liked them fried.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My childhood was packed full of bread and potatoes with nearly everything! As a miners daughter we were taught to fill up with stodge so bread -white of course- was always on the table to go with your potatoes and maybe a Yorkshire pudding! We were even served bread and butter with tinned fruit and carnation milk ......no wonder I became diabetic my pancreas never stood a chance! Trouble with childhood habits they tend to carry on and hard to break!
It’s wonderful now only eating the good food that we were only given small quantities of as a child - as more expensive for a big family compared to the good old carbs!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not just bread.

I personally cannot understand why people want to find "alternatives" for stuff.

There is a huge wide world of delicious low carb food out there to eat.

Sub standard alternatives for high carb food are the last thing I can be bothered thinking about.

I felt like this for the first 5 or so years of low carbing. Since then though I have taken a dislike to some of the low carb foods I was eating. My habits have changed, I don't have a fry up for breakfast anymore. I didn't buy low carb bread at all until I read about the Lidl rolls here and found that they were not only low carb but they were nutritious and tasty and filling and a nice way to eat chunks of butter too. I do try some low carb alternatives now and again to stop me getting bored, they aren't all substandard.

Reactions: Sue192

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My childhood was packed full of bread and potatoes with nearly everything! As a miners daughter we were taught to fill up with stodge so bread -white of course- was always on the table to go with your potatoes and maybe a Yorkshire pudding! We were even served bread and butter with tinned fruit and carnation milk ......no wonder I became diabetic my pancreas never stood a chance! Trouble with childhood habits they tend to carry on and hard to break!
It’s wonderful now only eating the good food that we were only given small quantities of as a child - as more expensive for a big family compared to the good old carbs!
I remember being told by my nain that she was giving me wheatgerm and butter to go with my tinned fruit cocktail. I told my mother she never gave me bread with germs in it. I never ate tinned fruit after that but continued with wholemeal bread. I was 5.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I remember being told by my nain that she was giving me wheatgerm and butter to go with my tinned fruit cocktail. I told my mother she never gave me bread with germs in it. I never ate tinned fruit after that but continued with wholemeal bread. I was 5.
The one thing that was good about my nain was that she could slice bread as thin as tissue paper. Absolutely amazing.

Hotpepper20000

Fresh bread with cream cheese and sliced dill pickles. Mmmmmm
I don’t really miss bread that much anymore but after reading this thread I am thinking about it.
Thanks a lot @bulkbiker;)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
The one thing that was good about my nain was that she could slice bread as thin as tissue paper. Absolutely amazing.
Clearly a Welsh thing - we used to joke that you could read the paper through my nain's bread.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames you have made me remember normal fried bread. A couple of years ago I succumbed to half a slice of fried white bread with a normal low carb fry up. It was delicious, and surprisingly it made NO difference to my post meal levels. I have had it a few times since, and still no difference, with or without the bread the levels are the same. I haven't had any since the Lidl rolls were first discovered a year or so ago. I do like some toast with my fry ups, so I am now going to try the fried again. Half a slice is enough, and I'm sure the fat in the frying keeps any spikes down. The bread soaks a lot of this up.

I went and did it. I had to walk from work to a garage tonight to pick up my car, which took me right past a B&M store. I figured if there was anywhere I would be able to find the most rotten, good for nothing, nutritionally bankrupt white bread, made out of flour and chalk and pavement dust or whatever goes into white bread these days, it would be there.

Sadly they only had Warburtons who are probably respectable enough to leave out the pavement dust, but they had ... Warburtons Thickest.

Not thin. Not medium. Not thick. THICKEST. I trembled as I bought it.

I made 3 slices of bacon, some mushrooms and an egg, then once that had been cooked and taken out of the pan, I fried one side of the bread in all the fat, then added 10g of butter and fried the other side in that.

It could have absorbed a lot more fat / butter by the looks of it - the very centre was still dry and fluffy after I'd fried it.

But I have to say ... it was heaven. The texture was light and crispy and just greasy enough without being disgusting. The taste was amazing. Enough to be enjoyable by itself, but mild enough to be a nice addition to bacon and eggs. 27g of carbs well spent.

I was never a regular eater of fried bread, and some of the stuff I remember getting in cafes, where it dripped fat or oil or margarine or something when you lifted it up, was pretty nasty. But I must have got lucky with my attempt tonight, because it really was wonderful!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you enjoyed it! Personally I use medium and only half a slice. What did your meter say?

I didn't get a chance to do a proper test. I'd eaten something else about an hour before so didn't see the point in taking a 'starting' reading. Also I went straight out afterwards for a bike ride and a walk.

It was knowing I'd be going out that helped me pluck up the courage to eat it - I've learned that so long as I'm well established into a period of weight loss (I am) and go on my regular walk straight afterwards, I can get away with murder with carbs. I haven't put that to the test for a long time, but I felt it was worth if for this.

I took a reading when I got back, which was about two and a half hours after I started eating it, and it was 5.1 mmol/l. So I'm confident this is "on the menu" under the right circumstances!

It would be a very different matter if I had it for breakfast then went straight to my sedentary job, and even worse again just a week ago when I was putting on weight - heck the starting reading would have been 9.5!

But I will give this the proper test soon. No food for 4 hours before, and sitting perfectly still afterwards. I will report back!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went and did it. I had to walk from work to a garage tonight to pick up my car, which took me right past a B&M store. I figured if there was anywhere I would be able to find the most rotten, good for nothing, nutritionally bankrupt white bread, made out of flour and chalk and pavement dust or whatever goes into white bread these days, it would be there.

Sadly they only had Warburtons who are probably respectable enough to leave out the pavement dust, but they had ... Warburtons Thickest.

I made 3 slices of bacon, some mushrooms and an egg, then once that had been cooked and taken out of the pan, I fried one side of the bread in all the fat, then added 10g of butter and fried the other side in that.

It could have absorbed a lot more fat / butter by the looks of it - the very centre was still dry and fluffy after I'd fried it.

But I have to say ... it was heaven. The texture was light and crispy and just greasy enough without being disgusting. The taste was amazing. Enough to be enjoyable by itself, but mild enough to be a nice addition to bacon and eggs. 27g of carbs well spent.

I was never a regular eater of fried bread, and some of the stuff I remember getting in cafes, where it dripped fat or oil or margarine or something when you lifted it up, was pretty nasty. But I must have got lucky with my attempt tonight, because it really was wonderful!

That sounds really wonderful, I’m envious of your control. Wouldn’t dare myself but I will enjoy vicariously through your post!
What are you going to do with the rest of the loaf though?

Reactions: AdamJames

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We usual have white Warburtons Toastie small loaf in the house....I wonder if I fried a slice for breakfast how that would go? Do t know if I am brave enough but if I do I will report back.

Reactions: DJC3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We usual have white Warburtons Toastie small loaf in the house....I wonder if I fried a slice for breakfast how that would go? Do t know if I am brave enough but if I do I will report back.

Definitely not for breakfast.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look what you’ve done now @bulkbiker , everyone is going mad and eating bread now! :wideyed:;)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops.. it was meant to put them off it forever... oh well the best laid plans etc.. just shows how strong habit and addiction can be I guess!

I’m not tempted :angelic: I’ll just stick to my one or two slices of HiLo bread per week, never was a huge bread fan anyway!