TEE2 meter

ART1C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of weeks ago all those with T2 diabetes in our area were moved from appointments with the hospital diabetic centre (I had chosen the centre instead of my GP as I felt they had more expertise). They have now just contacted all T2 patients to say they were 'upgrading' all our testing meters from ContourXT to TEE2 meters. Is this a real upgrade or a cost cutting exercise? Looking at the specs I am not sure,

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
TEE2 strips are the second least expensive (Codefree strips with discount codes are a bit cheaper ) , and have the longest 'shelf life'.
They also supply meters /data leads / software free.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is cost cutting, but lots of poeple on this site who self fund their meter are happy with a TEE2. I expect they are getting a very good deal from putting most people on the same meter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery used to use Accu Chek Mobile, which has notoriously expensive cartridge strips. The surgery discontinued this and moved over to a different manufacturer. My nurse told me straight out that it was because the new one was cheaper. It didn't affect me in the slightest because I'm not lucky enough to have any testing equipment on prescription.

ART1C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TEE2 strips are the second least expensive (Codefree strips with discount codes are a bit cheaper ) , and have the longest 'shelf life'.
They also supply meters /data leads / software free.
I hate it when they disguise cost cutting (which can be a good thing) as an 'upgrading'. It is an insult and disingenuous making me even more suspicious of the medical profession.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of weeks ago all those with T2 diabetes in our area were moved from appointments with the hospital diabetic centre (I had chosen the centre instead of my GP as I felt they had more expertise). They have now just contacted all T2 patients to say they were 'upgrading' all our testing meters from ContourXT to TEE2 meters. Is this a real upgrade or a cost cutting exercise? Looking at the specs I am not sure,
If you are getting free strips from the NHS you are jolly lucky. The vast majority of T2s now have to buy their own. So don't look a gift horse in the mouth! And should you want to buy more strips in order to test more often than your free strips allow, as other people have already said, the TEE2 strips are competitively priced. I have a TEE2 meter and I have found their customer service brilliant. If you ring them with a query someone is immediately available 24/7, no menu! Even the form you fill to avoid paying VAT is totally user friendly.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
:arghh:

What some people on this thread haven't appreciated is that the Tee2 comes in several different models - the one being prescribed to @ART1C may not be the same as the one we tend to use with the very cheap strips.

ART1C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will question what is going on. I am sorry that lots of T2s do not get their test strips on prescription. A fight that needs to be fought - I don't know the national situation. A major concern for me is not being told the truth about what is going on. I was late getting to being diagnosed with diabetes as the Dr I saw at the surgery had ignored my blood test results. The main GP tried telling me she was going to get round to it, but had to agree with me that 6 months later it was unlikely AND there was no note of it on my records. On my 2nd to last hospital visit I was told that my diabetes was now Type1/Type2. I queried this as I had not heard of it before, although the media were reporting that clinicians were now recognising a number of different types of diabetes. On my last visit to the hospital when I raised this, the previous conversation was denied. Hence I get very troubled by untruths being told. We deserve the truth and if we find one lie is being told then there are lots more we have missed.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are getting free strips from the NHS you are jolly lucky. The vast majority of T2s now have to buy their own. So don't look a gift horse in the mouth! And should you want to buy more strips in order to test more often than your free strips allow, as other people have already said, the TEE2 strips are competitively priced. I have a TEE2 meter and I have found their customer service brilliant. If you ring them with a query someone is immediately available 24/7, no menu! Even the form you fill to avoid paying VAT is totally user friendly.
I have a Glucorx (NHS supplied) and use a Tee 2 or occasionally a libre (both self funded) when I need more detailed data
The Tee2 and the Glucorx give virtually indentical results so I rate the Tee2 as a reliable meter

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will question what is going on. I am sorry that lots of T2s do not get their test strips on prescription. A fight that needs to be fought - I don't know the national situation. A major concern for me is not being told the truth about what is going on. I was late getting to being diagnosed with diabetes as the Dr I saw at the surgery had ignored my blood test results. The main GP tried telling me she was going to get round to it, but had to agree with me that 6 months later it was unlikely AND there was no note of it on my records. On my 2nd to last hospital visit I was told that my diabetes was now Type1/Type2. I queried this as I had not heard of it before, although the media were reporting that clinicians were now recognising a number of different types of diabetes. On my last visit to the hospital when I raised this, the previous conversation was denied. Hence I get very troubled by untruths being told. We deserve the truth and if we find one lie is being told then there are lots more we have missed.
Reading your story I am very sympathetic but not surprised. Your experiences have been SO frustrating and upsetting, but sadly I have read many similar accounts on these forums. I do think that what you have fallen foul of is however more cockup than conspiracy. And once things have gone wrong, health professionals often feel it is their duty to try and cover up their colleagues' mistakes. I have had this happen to me and it was indeed very upsetting. Like you, I imagine, I felt helpless and betrayed. I decided it was best not to insist on the "truth", and my subsequent treatment was good and helpful.

I can understand that you now feel mistrustful. IMO the best way forward is to assume that the doctors do mainly wish you well but are fallible, often ignorant, and working in an imperfect system. We can best cope with this by becoming our own experts and checking checking checking everything we are told and every treatment proposed. On these forums we can help each other with that, but also I strongly advise reading up on LADA / diabetes 1.5 eg on this site:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18382053.php

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you are getting free strips from the NHS you are jolly lucky. The vast majority of T2s now have to buy their own. So don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
The OP's avatar says he/she is insulin dependent. Type 2s who are insulin dependent do get testing equipment on prescription as they have to balance their insulin dose.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The OP's avatar says he/she is insulin dependent. Type 2s who are insulin dependent do get testing equipment on prescription as they have to balance their insulin dose.
I am puzzled by this, as viewing the Forums on my Mac desktop, the OP's avatar makes no mention of insulin. It just says, "Type 2, Member". In the past I have seen complaints from people using the app that they don't see all info that others can see. I am now wondering if this is also the case with Macs?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bluetit1802 @Alexandra100 the OPs avatar says insulin dependent type 2, but on their profile under treatment it says oral, Gliclazide. Type 2 diabetics on gliclazide also get prescribed testing equipment as the DVLA require tests before driving and it carries a hypo risk.

The OP was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2011. He is not treated with insulin. If he were misdiagnosed and was infact type 1.5, he'd be dead.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 @Alexandra100 the OPs avatar says insulin dependent type 2, but on their profile under treatment it says oral, Gliclazide. Type 2 diabetics on gliclazide also get prescribed testing equipment as the DVLA require tests before driving and it carries a hypo risk.

The OP was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2011. He is not treated with insulin. If he were misdiagnosed and was infact type 1.5, he'd be dead.

Please can you point out a post of mine that goes against what you have said about the OP's medication or diagnosis? Am I missing something?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am puzzled by this, as viewing the Forums on my Mac desktop, the OP's avatar makes no mention of insulin. It just says, "Type 2, Member". In the past I have seen complaints from people using the app that they don't see all info that others can see. I am now wondering if this is also the case with Macs?

This is a well known forum glitch that has been evident for a couple of years. Promises are made that it is being looked at, but nothing has happened as yet. I also do not see "insulin dependent" under the avatar of anyone. I use a PC, the website, and Chrome. This has been discussed a hundred times. Some people see it, some people don't, and it is random. It makes no difference how they use the forum.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:arghh:

What some people on this thread haven't appreciated is that the Tee2 comes in several different models - the one being prescribed to @ART1C may not be the same as the one we tend to use with the very cheap strips.
I believe there is only one type of TEE2 meter currently on sale. It is called TEE2+ which presumably is just the latest version, the strips are the same.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe there is only one type of TEE2 meter currently on sale. It is called TEE2+ which presumably is just the latest version, the strips are the same.

Thank you. I was mistaken. I could have sworn there was a different model. We live and learn. :)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr Pot is correct
Spirit healthcare do more than one kind of meter but only one is called the Tee2 which is just a blood sugar meter. The other is the caresense dual a combined blood sugar and ketone meter which will use different strips
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Spirit healthcare do more than one kind of meter but only one is called the Tee2 which is just a blood sugar meter. The other is the caresense dual a combined blood sugar and ketone meter which will use different strips
I have both they are very good meters and the strips are reasonably priced though the ketone strips are a bit more pricey than the glucose test strips. and the caresense dual has blue tooth and a smart phone app.