Bread ... why?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before my mother went crazy she used to make bread pudding, this is not to be confused with bread and butter pudding. This was made from soaked stale bread, currants and sultanas, spices all mixed in. Then cooked in the oven till it was a nice brown colour.

Garbo's wedding cake she called it when it was cold and cut in slices, never could get therrecipe though.
Yes that was a staple in my house when I was growing up stale bread was always made into bread pudding. Wish I could still eat it and another no now is summer pudding how I lived that that

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could tolerate bread.
French bread, toast with melted butter I could go on but I would just depress myself.

Maybe it is a bit like smoking. Never understood why people do that - never done it myself - and surely those doing it have known for many years the damage it is/could/might do. Yet smokers tell me there is nothing better than that first cig of the day. I knda feel like that for bread so I simply miss it loads.

Not the only thing by a million miles.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I could tolerate bread.
French bread, toast with melted butter I could go on but I would just depress myself.

Maybe it is a bit like smoking. Never understood why people do that - never done it myself - and surely those doing it have known for many years the damage it is/could/might do. Yet smokers tell me there is nothing better than that first cig of the day. I knda feel like that for bread so I simply miss it loads.

Not the only thing by a million miles.

To be really naughty here, I read something about superagers recently, and a lot of them smoke! (This was very unhelpful as I am trying to persuade someone to give up smoking).

Maybe at some point you'll be able to tolerate bread better, but there is a big different between refined white bread, and wholemeal bread, and a lot of the demonisation of it, is based on high consumption of white bread. However, if you have indulged in that, then change is needed.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't remember the last time I chose to have a sandwich, because I never feel a hankering for one.
That said, I very occasionally have to steal one of my wife's slices for one of life's true pleasures
CHEESE ON TOAST
I may be lowcarb, but you can't take that away from me. Unless you want a fight.
Geoff

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have posted in the beginning but again bread is traditional and every race is introduced to bread when weaning. BUT if you were told you were allergic to bread (set aside GF for the moment) would you still be as militant about it? People get told they are allergic to foods all the time and I dont imagine the usual reaction is to throw a tantrum and refuse to comply. There is a lot of hysteria overnot eating bread
Personally bread and rice spike me terribly so they’re over for me though I would love to be able to eat a slice of toast occasionally but its just not worth it.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have posted in the beginning but again bread is traditional and every race is introduced to bread when weaning. BUT if you were told you were allergic to bread (set aside GF for the moment) would you still be as militant about it? People get told they are allergic to foods all the time and I dont imagine the usual reaction is to throw a tantrum and refuse to comply. There is a lot of hysteria overnot eating bread
Personally bread and rice spike me terribly so they’re over for me though I would love to be able to eat a slice of toast occasionally but its just not worth it.
I was one of those 'guilty' about banging on over the loss of the Lidl rolls. I am certainly not hysterical about the fact that they are no longer around, nor am I throwing tantrums. I was not allergic to them and they didn't spike me if eaten in thirds over the course of a day, so why shouldn't I eat them as part of a low-carb lifestyle? In my view, being allergic to something is different from being able to accommodate it comfortably - of course if I was allergic to bread I wouldn't eat it, similarly if the Lidl rolls (and note this was the ONLY form of bread I ate since diagnosis) spiked me badly. Most of the Lidl thread posts were tongue-in-cheek anyway and many gave me a laugh, although granted there were a lot of them! Does it not all boil down to what suits the individual, what they can cope with and how they use foods in their low-carb way of eating to give them good results, rather than what someone else thinks they should be doing?

Rant over! I've had a bit of 'you should be doing this, why aren't you doing that, why ARE you doing that!' recently..... :(

Reactions: AdamJames

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not tempted :angelic: I’ll just stick to my one or two slices of HiLo bread per week, never was a huge bread fan anyway!
Before T2 I was never a big fan of bread even though I was a war time child and bread was the staple along with potatoes . When I grew up I ate much less bread just the odd sandwich or toast with Marmite Now I know bread is not good for me I really wish I could eat more especially the artisan types of bread now available. Now sometimes I have one small slice of wholemeal crustless bread .....I can't stand the low carb breads... Psychological thing we always want what we can't have

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was one of those 'guilty' about banging on over the loss of the Lidl rolls. I am certainly not hysterical about the fact that they are no longer around, nor am I throwing tantrums. I was not allergic to them and they didn't spike me if eaten in thirds over the course of a day, so why shouldn't I eat them as part of a low-carb lifestyle? In my view, being allergic to something is different from being able to accommodate it comfortably - of course if I was allergic to bread I wouldn't eat it, similarly if the Lidl rolls (and note this was the ONLY form of bread I ate since diagnosis) spiked me badly. Most of the Lidl thread posts were tongue-in-cheek anyway and many gave me a laugh, although granted there were a lot of them! Does it not all boil down to what suits the individual, what they can cope with and how they use foods in their low-carb way of eating to give them good results, rather than what someone else thinks they should be doing?

Rant over! I've had a bit of 'you should be doing this, why aren't you doing that, why ARE you doing that!' recently..... :(
Sue That is a fair response IMO. Its not people mourning the loss of Lidl rolls I was getting at nor the people giving other low carb bread a place in their diet (one of which was me at first). But there are many frustrated posters who when advised that the bread they normally eat is no good for them just dont want to accept it. That was my point.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there are many frustrated posters who when advised that the bread they normally eat is no good for them just dont want to accept it.

However, and this is not aimed at you, many posters are advised, almost from their first post, to stop eating bread, before they even get chance to come to terms with this condition, recover from the shock of diagnosis, or have learned about self testing to find out if stopping bread completely is necessary in their case.

To me, telling newbies they must stop all bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc from the word go is also a hysterical and unhelpful response from seasoned posters. Its a HUGE thing to take on board. As we see from this thread, there are many who still struggle with having to discipline ourselves to cut out these staples.

I am not surprised being told of having to ditch starches is something people find hard to accept and want to find ways round it or go into denial.

And yes, I know this will be unpopular for me to say but I do think the 'All or Nothing' stance from several posters make more new people go into denial and/or reject the rest of the excellent help on this site as they are frightened off.

And yes, i know there will be poster who respond with the message that they would rather be told upfront, and thats all well and good, but they are still here and many new people post a few times and dont come back, so we will never know the proportion who get frightened off.

IMHO.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do see your point too @lucylocket61 and I am respectful of your opinion and that of @Sue192. You both have been fighting this fight a lot longer than me so have a lot more knowledge on which to form an opinion. I am unusually grumpy today I think! I wouldnt want to put off anyone new to the forum. It has been a Godsend to me and all of you people have helped me.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have often wondered why we see so many threads about bread?
I gave it up and don't miss it but many people spend ages trying to find low carb bread (which must surely be an oxymoron).
So why do you think we need to eat it?
Habit, lack of imagination or does it fill another role (intentional pun) in our lives? I'm interested to have your thoughts.
Because I like it and the bread that I eat (TESCO high protein) doesn’t spike me - bacon or peanut butter sandwiches are lovely.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Before my mother went crazy she used to make bread pudding, this is not to be confused with bread and butter pudding. This was made from soaked stale bread, currants and sultanas, spices all mixed in. Then cooked in the oven till it was a nice brown colour.

Garbo's wedding cake she called it when it was cold and cut in slices, never could get therrecipe though.
My mother used to as well

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good points from @Lucylocket and @PenguinMum (I seem to be unusually grumpy today too - shouted at the boss earlier. Totally unlike me and he was somewhat startled!).

There is sometimes a fine line between wanting to highlight the dangers to new members of not controlling diabetes (focussing on T2) coupled with a positive message coming from the amazing results (as shown on this Forum) of low-carbing, whatever level, and scaring the heebie-jeebies out of them so that they disappear. Recently a member (can't remember who) has been posting a scary video regarding toes falling off and the horrid things that will happen to you, with the comment along the lines of 'well, I value my feet too much to do *..... *insert relevant food/activity/whatever. I've been uncomfortable with this approach, although I fully acknowledge that the brutal truth will galvanise some into positive action, as I can well imagine a newbie coming across it ,who is already desperately scared and upset with their diagnosis, and completely flipping. And perhaps going away in shock and denial.

I've gone off-topic a bit, sorry! But I'm worried about the 'hard-sell' approach in relation to newly-diagnosed members.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
, many posters are advised, almost from their first post, to stop eating bread, before they even get chance to come to terms with this condition, recover from the shock of diagnosis, or have learned about self testing to find out if stopping bread completely is necessary in their case.
Yes being told straight away they must stop eating all the foods they have probably been eating all their lives before they have even come to terms with their diabetes diagnosis must seem to many new members intimidating and bossy. Many may be worried about doing something differently to what their doctor and nurses have told them to do so continue with their advice and do not come back here.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, and this is not aimed at you, many posters are advised, almost from their first post, to stop eating bread, before they even get chance to come to terms with this condition, recover from the shock of diagnosis, or have learned about self testing to find out if stopping bread completely is necessary in their case.

To me, telling newbies they must stop all bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc from the word go is also a hysterical and unhelpful response from seasoned posters. Its a HUGE thing to take on board. As we see from this thread, there are many who still struggle with having to discipline ourselves to cut out these staples.

I am not surprised being told of having to ditch starches is something people find hard to accept and want to find ways round it or go into denial.

And yes, I know this will be unpopular for me to say but I do think the 'All or Nothing' stance from several posters make more new people go into denial and/or reject the rest of the excellent help on this site as they are frightened off.

And yes, i know there will be poster who respond with the message that they would rather be told upfront, and thats all well and good, but they are still here and many new people post a few times and dont come back, so we will never know the proportion who get frightened off.

IMHO.

Different approaches definitely suit different people. I like to be hit hard with the facts (even if that doesn't always improve my habits!). But we are just now persuading our mum to go 'low carb'. She's doing fantastically well sticking to a very different diet that she has been used to for the first 77 years of her life, but has been desperately missing bread for a month. So we've got her some LivLife and she loves it. All good. I certainly won't be haranguing her and telling her that each slice is 4g of carbs she can do without.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
To me, telling newbies they must stop all bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc from the word go is also a hysterical and unhelpful response from seasoned posters.

Hysterical? Really? Most are asked (or themselves offer details) about their diet. ALL are asked about testing regimes for BS. "Seasoned posters" tend to know a lot more than a newbie. The new members are here for good reason. To learn. To ask questions. Many pursue that path and come back with remarkable results. A few leave in a huff, most don't.

If you have an issue with someone's advice, then challenge it or report it. That is my opinion

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hysterical? Really? Most are asked (or themselves offer details) about their diet. ALL are asked about testing regimes for BS. "Seasoned posters" tend to know a lot more than a newbie. The new members are here for good reason. To learn. To ask questions. Many pursue that path and come back with remarkable results. A few leave in a huff, most don't.

If you have an issue with someone's advice, then challenge it or report it. That is my opinion
I am entitled to my opinion and have stated it. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the situation, just as you disagree with mine. There is nothing about that to report or challenge. We all have opinions and are free to exercise them.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yet you list pasta and rice in your byline as culprits for bad BS.