GP and feeling ignored

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Heya,

My GP refuses to believe that I am diabetic because I have depression. My blood sugar level has been as high as 33.3 which has landed me in hospital but my GP is still adamant that it's just my mental health. The diabetic nurse at my GP surgery said if my blood sugar has been 27.5 and 33.3 than I have to be diabetic because of my high blood sugar and that both my parents have diabetes. I just want to be taken seriously, I feel like doctors are taking me seriously due to my mental illness.

-thegeekyblonde

Reactions: Freema and Riopig

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
why would the doctor ignore that you have a bood glucose level of over 30. That would be negligent. Have you taken your meter into the surgery and shown the doctor your readings and has he done any test on you?

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Surely they will have tested you while you were in hospital and sent all details to your GP? I am not T1 so this issue is beyond my experience.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
why would the doctor ignore that you have a bood glucose level of over 30. That would be negligent. Have you taken your meter into the surgery and shown the doctor your readings and has he done any test on you?
i have no idea. it is really annoying, i have taken my blood glucose meter readings to them and keeping a blood glucose diary but nothing. i have lost over 2 stone in the past few months.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you have a way of measuring ketones? I’d seriously consider going to A&E and insisting they take you seriously x
i don't have a way of measuring my ketones. my local A&E department has no doctor after 6pm. I have been to the hospital at 9pm as i was being sick and my blood sugar was over 33.3 but they just sent me to the out of hours gp not to a different hospitals A&E department.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have you got someone else with you that can go to see the GP with you. Otherwise the next time your BG level is High go to A&E

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Heya,

My GP refuses to believe that I am diabetic because I have depression. My blood sugar level has been as high as 33.3 which has landed me in hospital but my GP is still adamant that it's just my mental health. The diabetic nurse at my GP surgery said if my blood sugar has been 27.5 and 33.3 than I have to be diabetic because of my high blood sugar and that both my parents have diabetes. I just want to be taken seriously, I feel like doctors are taking me seriously due to my mental illness.

-thegeekyblonde
sorry for the horrible spelling. *then

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
and what happened at that OoH GP?
took my blood sugar which was 27 and sent me home because it was 11pm. my out of office gp surgery closes at 11pm. he said "as it is lower there isn't anything we can do here so just go home"

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would revisit the doc and ask for a second opinion / referral to the diabetics team - also are you under the care of a mental health care team? If dox refuses to take you seriously could you get support from them?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’d strongly suggest calling an ambulance. You can’t be left with BG levels running this high. If you are being sick, I suspect DKA. Are you finding breathing difficult? That’s another telltale sign. Sending love x

ashthetash

I’d strongly suggest calling an ambulance. You can’t be left with BG levels running this high. If you are being sick, I suspect DKA. Are you finding breathing difficult? That’s another telltale sign. Sending love x
Please don't do this. If your blood sugars are at the levels you state then you certainly need some medical attention and this should be provided by your GP or the OOH GP and if you are getting no success from them then maybe A&E. However this is an ongoing problem which the ambulance service will not be able to deal with. The best they could do is convey you to A&E. However typically they would want to refer you to a GP and if that is not possible would want you to take yourself to A&E.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Please don't do this. If your blood sugars are at the levels you state then you certainly need some medical attention and this should be provided by your GP or the OOH GP and if you are getting no success from them then maybe A&E. However this is an ongoing problem which the ambulance service will not be able to deal with. The best they could do is convey you to A&E. However typically they would want to refer you to a GP and if that is not possible would want you to take yourself to A&E.
Sorry to be blunt, but if she has levels that high, is throwing up and has no way of measuring ketones, she needs immediate medical assistance. NHS guidance states exactly this.

I have been in exactly this situation myself, and it was very nearly fatal. It is not something to be taken lightly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
took my blood sugar which was 27 and sent me home because it was 11pm. my out of office gp surgery closes at 11pm. he said "as it is lower there isn't anything we can do here so just go home"

If both your parents have diabetes, what do thet think of all of this?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @thegeekyblonde and welcome.

Your situation sounds very worrying, the fact your GP has failed to acknowledge your high BG levels is negligence as my fellow moderator @andcol has stated.

How are you right now ? Do you have excessive thirst/peeing, extreme fatigue ? Pear breath ?

We cannot of course diagnose you here on the forum, however getting medical help is really important, I would be calling 111 and discussing this with the team on the phone. Can you do this and let us know how you get on ?

ashthetash

Sorry to be blunt, but if she has levels that high, is throwing up and has no way of measuring ketones, she needs immediate medical assistance. NHS guidance states exactly this.

I have been in exactly this situation myself, and it was very nearly fatal. It is not something to be taken lightly.

My apologies I missed any reference to throwing up. This appears to be presented as a situation which has been ongoing long enough for there have been a GP appointment, an OOH GP appointment and a self-presentation at an A&E (this may have been a minor injuries unit given that it is not 24 hours.) The weight loss suggests that it has in fact been a problem for 2 months. If that is the case then an ambulance crew is going to try to speak to a GP about this patient or get them to self-present to a hospital. Almost by definition a situation that is 2 months old is not a time critical emergency.

Obviously if there are changes in the presentation with additional symptoms then the situation may change.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ashthetash Can you please confirm your medical status ?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I can,t understand why your gp said you are not diabetic with 33 as a reading.
I an type2 and when I had my initial first blood test, the hospital rang me I think around 3am, I remember it being middle of the night. They said get to hospital now, they said my reading from blood test was 31. I didn't, t go to hospital but did agree to see my gp that morning when the surgery opened. Saw gp that morning but can,t remember the appt time. The hospital was good and had sent my gp surgery a urgent message, though no idea whether by phone or fax. My gp was prepared for my visit because the hospital had already contacted them.
I have bipolar and yes I felt like **** but assumed it was due to that. I had another blood test that morning to establish whether I was type 1 or type2. Turned out I was type2 and was started on the right meds as soon as the second blood test results were confirmed.
To be honest, I can,t understand why your gp is saying it's your depression