Going back into Powerlifting (again!!!)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It looks like that after I have my next Cataract operation in the next six weeks, I am once again going to step onto the platform. I am only doing a Deadlift completion in October, I did one last year, with the intention of competing in Full power powerlifting but I have had a couple of setbacks health wise, (laser surgery and Cataract removal) where I was worried about the pressure in my eyes, and if it made me go blind (bit melodramatic I know) but I have decided that I am going to just do it (as the advert says).
I am going to start with the Andy Bolton Deadlift Challenge in October, and then enter a few competition's next year as old Masters 2 and see how I get on. I am doing this post for ulterior motives as if I put it on here, and people see it, then I have to do it with zero excuses as it is public and hopefully the wonderful people on this forum will ask me how it is going.

so in this post I will state my opening deadlift at this competition will be 230kg, which incidentally was my final lift in last years competition. Got to set the bar.

Thank you for reading and take care everyone.

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I managed 3 reps dead lift at 120kg on my last set at this evenings session after a swim, that was more than enough for me, 230kg is a right weight!

Like I'm sat here counting the plates each side on that, shaking my head and thinking of taking up knitting :p

Good luck with it!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I managed 3 reps dead lift at 120kg on my last set at this evenings session after a swim, that was more than enough for me, 230kg is a right weight!

Like I'm sat here counting the plates each side on that, shaking my head and thinking of taking up knitting :p

Good luck with it!
I must admit that my training for it is not the greatest due to the eye surgeries, Deadlift on Monday morning was 160kg for 5x3, this was done after Bench press 100kg 5x4 and a bit of shoulder work before it for a warm up. I'm hoping that at the end of this training cycle I am up to 200kg for 3x3 then back off, just got to try, and trust that the doctors sort out my eyes soon:pompous:

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using wrist straps for that weight?

100kg bench as a warm up? Sits with his head in his hands jealously :) I can bench 95kg for 2 on a good day, just, and only if I can get a spotter.

That's a savage training cycle, and inspiring to be honest that a T1's doing it.

Reactions: thirdchancedave

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you using wrist straps for that weight?

100kg bench as a warm up? Sits with his head in his hands jealously :) I can bench 95kg for 2 on a good day, just, and only if I can get a spotter.

That's a savage training cycle, and inspiring to be honest that a T1's doing it.
No straps, even after the stroke I can still grip, old strongman grip techniques. If, and ,when I start to lift heavier weights I might use straps just so my hands don't get really tired.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
on a really happy note, as I have been working on the flexibility of my shoulders, still in a lot of pain with them, I have managed to get back under a squat bar for the first time in over two years!! To say I am happy is an understatement, only a 20kg either side , but baby steps. Onwards and Upwards for Full Power powerlifting next year!!!

micky d60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks like that after I have my next Cataract operation in the next six weeks, I am once again going to step onto the platform. I am only doing a Deadlift completion in October, I did one last year, with the intention of competing in Full power powerlifting but I have had a couple of setbacks health wise, (laser surgery and Cataract removal) where I was worried about the pressure in my eyes, and if it made me go blind (bit melodramatic I know) but I have decided that I am going to just do it (as the advert says).
I am going to start with the Andy Bolton Deadlift Challenge in October, and then enter a few competition's next year as old Masters 2 and see how I get on. I am doing this post for ulterior motives as if I put it on here, and people see it, then I have to do it with zero excuses as it is public and hopefully the wonderful people on this forum will ask me how it is going.

so in this post I will state my opening deadlift at this competition will be 230kg, which incidentally was my final lift in last years competition. Got to set the bar.

Thank you for reading and take care everyone.
hi johnpol can you have protien shakes with diebetes

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well done @johnpol. We will be asking you how you got on/and are getting on :) . 230kg is a massive weight, makes me dizzy just thinking about it

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done @johnpol. We will be asking you how you got on/and are getting on :) . 230kg is a massive weight, makes me dizzy just thinking about it
I hope you do as it means I HAVE to do it, and lift what I have said I am, and hopefully more!!!!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's like 5 x 20kg plates plus a 5kg a side on an Olympic bar.

I was thinking about it too this evening as I avoided the free-weights area with a sore back.

Reactions: porl69

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well not a good deadlift session last night 180kg 3x3, felt like it was glued to the floor!! felt EXTREMELY heavy, so time to back off and work back up. Next session will be 140kg 5x5 deadlift, one setback, but you have to keep pushing forwards, I WILL be on the platform again

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
It's like 5 x 20kg plates plus a 5kg a side on an Olympic bar.

I was thinking about it too this evening as I avoided the free-weights area with a sore back.
And thats each side of the bar.... WOW :)

Reactions: johnpol

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well not a good deadlift session last night 180kg 3x3, felt like it was glued to the floor!! felt EXTREMELY heavy, so time to back off and work back up. Next session will be 140kg 5x5 deadlift, one setback, but you have to keep pushing forwards, I WILL be on the platform again
Reading this post inspired me to get out of my comfort zone of 100 kg 8x3, so did 140 kg 3x3. Full respect to the 180 kg and 230 kg. I will set myself a limit of 160, which I will build up to over 2 months as I want to ensure minimal chance of injury.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Reading this post inspired me to get out of my comfort zone of 100 kg 8x3, so did 140 kg 3x3. Full respect to the 180 kg and 230 kg. I will set myself a limit of 160, which I will build up to over 2 months as I want to ensure minimal chance of injury.
You can try rep and set range of 5x5, this seems to be an accepted method of trying to build strength. If you have done 100kg 8x3, then start at 110kg 5x5 increasing the weight by 5kg a side for seven/eight weeks, this should get you up to around 170kg but if you want to extend it to ten weeks this would be fine. at 170kg you can start to drop the reps down to 3, you could give it a try and see if it works for you.

Good luck with anything you try.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You can try rep and set range of 5x5, this seems to be an accepted method of trying to build strength. If you have done 100kg 8x3, then start at 110kg 5x5 increasing the weight by 5kg a side for seven/eight weeks, this should get you up to around 170kg but if you want to extend it to ten weeks this would be fine. at 170kg you can start to drop the reps down to 3, you could give it a try and see if it works for you.

Good luck with anything you try.
Thanks, no better advice than from someone who has got (very) serious results. I am attracted to the deadlift due to the amount of muscle groups used. I am going to try the protocol you have outlined, and will report in the moderate exercise thread, so as not to derail yours.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, no better advice than from someone who has got (very) serious results. I am attracted to the deadlift due to the amount of muscle groups used. I am going to try the protocol you have outlined, and will report in the moderate exercise thread, so as not to derail yours.
sounds good, good luck with it, if you need anything let me know

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well a bit of disappointing news, I haven't been accepted for the deadlift competition that I had set my hopes on, due in part to my incompetence and a faster than I was expecting take up for spaces (120 spaces gone in less than 36hrs) so I need to reformulate and hope that I make the reserve list, so I can at least train for it. Onwards and upwards though.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will be competing in a gym powerlifting completion in September, which will be good preparation for the competitions that I have planned for October/November to hopefully qualify for the British Championships!! Just need to learn to squat again!!!