Insulin resistance reduced by all vegetable diet

Altopo53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About 6 weeks ago I learned about vegan diet drastically reducing glucose levels in type 2 patients through reduction of insulin resistance. I have Type 2 for 14 years now. At this time my morning levels were between 8 and 10. Taking metformin and dapagliflozin. Eating low carb diet.

I decided to try it. After six weeks I can report reduction morning glucose to level between 7 and 8, one time even below 7, which hasn't happened since 2005. My diet now includes much more carbs (one has to eat something after all ;-).

So if you think you can live without animal protein, try and let me know the results.

Altopo

Reactions: Speedbird

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
While I do love my veggies I also enjoy animal products and have seen great improvements in overall health especially in terms of T2 Diabetes. We must all find our own path to better health.

Reactions: briped

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Sorry, can't do without crispy bacon. A juicy T-bone is pretty good too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think a veggie diet is great when compared to the standard processed food diet and all that fibre is going to help slow down absorption of the doubtless low GI ones you are eating. But... there are so many good nutrients in meat that are hard to get from plants (vits A and the Bs) plus this kind of diet usually limits fat too so I don't think it would leave me happy! Depends on your own genetics of course and if you continue to thrive then that is proof enough. Good luck.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I learn something new every day. I had no idea that it was possible to get all my nutrients, including protein, from a plant only diet, and still be low carb

I evidently need to do some reading round on this.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is the protein and the essential amino acids that are hard to come by on a vegan diet.

May I ask what supplements are you taking, please?

Altopo53

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is the protein and the essential amino acids that are hard to come by on a vegan diet.

May I ask what supplements are you taking, please?
(Too?) many. Vitamins for diabetics, reservatrol, ubiqinol, magnesium, cinnamon, Cr picolinate, also high blood pressure medications. Eat lots of vegatal proteins (beans, lentils,..)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
(Too?) many. Vitamins for diabetics, reservatrol, ubiqinol, magnesium, cinnamon, Cr picolinate, also high blood pressure medications. Eat lots of vegatal proteins (beans, lentils,..)

Thank you. For me, beans and lentils spike my bg. I really miss red kidney beans in chilli, its just not the same with just the white beans so now we just call it spicy mince without beans.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About 6 weeks ago I learned about vegan diet drastically reducing glucose levels in type 2 patients through reduction of insulin resistance. I have Type 2 for 14 years now. At this time my morning levels were between 8 and 10. Taking metformin and dapagliflozin. Eating low carb diet.

I decided to try it. After six weeks I can report reduction morning glucose to level between 7 and 8, one time even below 7, which hasn't happened since 2005. My diet now includes much more carbs (one has to eat something after all ;-).

So if you think you can live without animal protein, try and let me know the results.

Altopo
If you remain on Metformin, then be aware that this can lead to vit B12 deficiency, and also iron deficient anemia in its own right, add in a vegan diet, and that can spell trouble. If you then cut out processed flour and cereals and bread, then this can lead to folate, B6, and calcium deficiencies too. Please research this diet properly.

If you succeed then you may well be the first vegan to do so in my knowledge, since very few have reported success here in the testimonials section. Vegetarian is not such a problem but still needs supplementing for B12.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50shades - Copy.png

Altopo

morning glucose of 7 to 8 is still far too high, note it is the carbs that raise blood glucose and proteins only secondary in raising blood glucose... a vegan diet is many times mostly carb rich.... a cake can be vegan but still almost pure carbs... the same about honey bananas and mangoes and so on...... it is especially the fructose that is processed by one's liver that is the problem in diabetes... this kind of sugar fructose is very problematic for creating a fatty liver, and fructose is mainly vegan...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. For me, beans and lentils spike my bg. I really miss red kidney beans in chilli, its just not the same with just the white beans so now we just call it spicy mince without beans.
You can still call it chilli, it doesn't include beans in the Texas version.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had no idea that it was possible to get all my nutrients, including protein, from a plant only diet, and still be low carb
It isn't. Although it might depend how many daily grammes of carbohydrate you would consider low carb. Personally, I need to keep my carb intake at about 20g daily and there is no way I could do that without the carb free foods, none of which is an option for vegetarians let alone vegans.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks. And as i cant eat nuts or seeds either, I am not even going to research the option.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I learn something new every day. I had no idea that it was possible to get all my nutrients, including protein, from a plant only diet, and still be low carb

I evidently need to do some reading round on this.

It is possible but you do have to eat a wide variety of veg to ensure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need (assuming your not eating fortified breakfast cereals). Lots of leafy green veg and rainbow coloured stir fries. The only vitamin you cant get naturally from plants, nuts or seeds on a vegan diet is B12, but fortified yeast extract (marmite) has it in.

Like any diet, meat, vegan, high carb, low carb variety is the key to getting all the nutrients :) I have been a veggie all my life, and have (in past) been vegan for a number of years, but I miss cheese too much.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks. And as i cant eat nuts or seeds either, I am not even going to research the option.
You do right! The stress of even thinking about it might raise your bg!!! A vegetarian diet may well be very healthy for those who can cope with carbs, but sadly not for us. For years I was health consciously eating a sort of Mediterranean diet and, unbeknownst to me, my bg was going up by leaps and bounds.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is possible but you do have to eat a wide variety of veg to ensure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need (assuming your not eating fortified breakfast cereals). Lots of leafy green veg and rainbow coloured stir fries. The only vitamin you cant get naturally from plants, nuts or seeds on a vegan diet is B12, but fortified yeast extract (marmite) has it in.

Like any diet, meat, vegan, high carb, low carb variety is the key to getting all the nutrients :) I have been a veggie all my life, and have (in past) been vegan for a number of years, but I miss cheese too much.
How many grammes carb per day are you eating?