Carnivore Diet... anyone tried this?

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Been reading about the carnivore diet and it has perked my interest. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it. I might try it for 2 weeks or so in the future if anyone else is interested.

I mean whats the worst that can happen lol

Reactions: dbr10

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I am wondering if the higher protein profile might bump up BG?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein doesn’t seem to raise my bg, even with big portions.

But I don’t really do high protein. I expected to, just to feel full, but after a few months my appetite now seems to be for moderate protein and high fat. I get hungry, but if I satisfy it with too much meat then I feel overloaded. So I learned to keep the protein down and the fat up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unlikely.. there seems to be quite a bit of research suggesting that GNG (gluconeogenesis - or protein producing glucose) is demand driven so if you body needs glucose it will make it from protein but if it doesn't then it won't.
Also Ben Bijkman has recently presented on this very subject at Low Carb Breckenridge.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Unlikely.. there seems to be quite a bit of research suggesting that GNG (gluconeogenesis - or protein producing glucose) is demand driven so if you body needs glucose it will make it from protein but if it doesn't then it won't.
Also Ben Bijkman has recently presented on this very subject at Low Carb Breckenridge.
watched it... very good . cheers

Reactions: bulkbiker and dbr10

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein doesn’t seem to raise my bg, even with big portions.

But I don’t really do high protein. I expected to, just to feel full, but after a few months my appetite now seems to be for moderate protein and high fat. I get hungry, but if I satisfy it with too much meat then I feel overloaded. So I learned to keep the protein down and the fat up.

Can you please give an example of what you eat on a typical day (in detail, eg. 2 thighs with skin, etc.). I find it so easy to overeat protein because I love meat!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you please give an example of what you eat on a typical day (in detail, eg. 2 thighs with skin, etc.). I find it so easy to overeat protein because I love meat!

Sure!
If you have a look here, you can see my daily menus going back to... er... pre-history. :D But that won’t give you portion size. I will start giving those for a while, if you like.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-703#post-1770326

Yesterday I had a breakfast of 100mls of homemade liver pate for breakfast, and for the rest of the day, around 400g of chicken breasts, with around 50mls of double cream and 75g of mature cheddar, with a huge bulb of garlic (chick in cheese sauce) split into 2 meals. Also cream in 2 hot drinks.

That was a lot of protein for me. Too much in fact. I felt over loaded.
Most days I skip breakfast, and I often reduce the protein load by substituting either lunch or dinner with some high fat/low protein option like a small amount of tuna with a lot of mayo, or a few chorizo crisps loaded with cream cheese.

Today will be red meat in a smaller portion, salami crisps, and the fat made up with a bit of goatsmilk yog with added double cream.

Another day I might skip breakfast and lunch and then just eat roast belly pork. A standard pack from Tescos. The packs are 500g but I only manage about 2/3rds.

From the reading I have done, I seem to be fairly unusual in my lower protein intake. Most ‘carnivores’ seem to eat as much protein as they like by just eating fatty meat when hungry.

But I am new to this.
The first 3 months I ate more protein, then it slowly started to feel like too much.
Then i cut the protein down a bit and looked for ways to increase the fat intake to prevent hunger.

Next month will probably see more changes :D
Definitely a work in progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larissima

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I eat a lot of meat, fish and egg protein and it does nothing at all to my glucose levels. I can promise you that. I couldn't do without my mushrooms and tomatoes so won't be joining you. I have never restricted my protein intake, and as long as my kidneys remain super good, I won't change this. I am a strong believer in its essential properties, especially as we grow older.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks @Brunneria ! I have indeed checked out that thread, but as you mentioned there are usually no quantities listed. I find it helpful to see how much others eat, even though we are all different (and our meals may be different from day to day). My overeating problem has reared its ugly head again, so I'm trying to get deep into ketosis, hoping it will make me feel satisfied with a more standard meal. I might even try a short-term carnivore challenge, though I love green and colourful veggies!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm certainly considering trying a carnivore diet. I am currently awaiting imminent heart valve replacement, so it will be less challenging once I'm fully better.
Try investigating these people's stories
Shawn Baker
Amber O'Hearn
Jordan Peterson's daughter
Geoff

Reactions: Larissima

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to post an update about my trial of the carnivore diet. I've now been mostly carnivore for 2 weeks, and I'm loving it! Eating meat, fish & eggs (plus spices and very occasional veggies, I'm not 100% yet) for 3 meals a day has really helped curb my overeating urges. I've even started to reverse the weight gain from the breast cancer medication (hormonal treatment), which is super exciting. I plan to continue for at least 2 more months before re-evaluating. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and ideas!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had never heard of a Carnivore Diet before. I just found this thread. I have been doing a sort of carnivore diet, sort of eating like my cat, who is an obligate carnivore. I'm glad I found this thread.