Reversed diabetes

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I visit the site so infrequently now, and admit it has no doubt helped shape my new life, and am grateful for much advice , but find myself somewhat at odds with the sometimes evangelical and puritanical nature of a few folk here.

well done @jcbman, your achievement is great, and please don't be down hearted by some of the doom monger comments - you are in a great place!

There is debate, conjecture, discussion about what the words are to use......resolved, remission, reversed, ..... whatever label you want to give it, but it is semantics. The one word I now use is HEALTHY, I now consider myself 'healthy'.

My weight is now normal - that's healthy!
My Blood Pressure is normal - that's healthy!
My diet is very 'healthy' - carb conscious, but yes I eat em!
My bs levels are normal (on the occasions I check em) - that's healthy!
I soooo love cycling / running / walking now - that's healthy!
I do not, nor have ever taken any medication - that shows I'm healthy!

Other than the 'branding' for life of the condition I had (that's how I currently see it), I am as healthy, in fact probably more so than most my age, and enjoying being so. I guess the bonus here is thst I now get a yearly MOT that now let's me stick 2 fingers up to the system!

Yesterday I didn't have Diabetes, today I don't have Diabetes, tomorrow I might do - but that's tomorrow!

Just enjoy being healthy yourself, don't get hung up on labels.

H

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
your clearly better than the rest of us. you carry on how you want. when it comes back and bites you hard we will be hear to sympathies.

I see you are from the wild north of Scotland @paulus1 . You don't know James Frazer do you?? Though he emigrated south a few years ago and now lives on the coast in place called Walmington On Sea???

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ha ha bloody ha. english settler dear boy/girl more like Mr Mainwaring. wish i was a bank manager.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s a fabulous achievement, @jcbman, I especially liked the pregnancy analogy because once you’ve been pregnant, your body is permanently altered - so while I’m no longer pregnant, I do have some after effects of pregnancy, not just a teenaged son. Medically, I’ll always have been pregnant. I hope your diabetes after-effects are negligible x

Z

Ziggyzog

Tell you what then, you can feel sorry for me when I come back, I'll feel sorry for you now if that's what you think.
We can all live in fear of tomorrow, if I worried about what was around every corner, I'd never pull the wagon out of the yard.

To me, if it quacks like a duck, if looks like a duck, if it swims like duck, it's fair to guess it's a duck, not the grim reaper at a fancy dress party.

I don’t think Paulus1 is saying live in fear. I think he’s saying that don’t become complacent. He’s right insofar as it’s not reversed but in remission. In order to remain in this state you will always need to have it in the back of your mind not to slip up. My journey into remission has been a difficult one. Lots of highs and lows. Then back to messing up. Now I’m on the up and to stay here I’ve had to make some drastic changes ie ditching people who’d rather see me unwell then better. I am happy with regards to your success.

Reactions: MikeyU

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @jcbman and everyone else who has managed to be in diabetic remission :)

My story briefly..I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in July 15 with a HbA1c of 52. Three months later with first check up has got my HbA1c down to 39 so entered into remission. Following years HbA1c down to 31 then 30. Just recieved my latest results and now down to 29. Have lost over 10 stone in weigh and now have a bmi of 19.7. Cholesterol 3.5 blood pressure 93/63 :) very very happy indeed.

Reactions: rom35

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @jcbman and everyone else who has managed to be in diabetic remission :)

My story briefly..I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in July 15 with a HbA1c of 52. Three months later with first check up has got my HbA1c down to 39 so entered into remission. Following years HbA1c down to 31 then 30. Just recieved my latest results and now down to 29. Have lost over 10 stone in weigh and now have a bmi of 19.7. Cholesterol 3.5 blood pressure 93/63 :) very very happy indeed.

Wow!! What amazing progress you have made. It makes me feel that getting to grips with this condition is possible. I have around 10-11 stone to lose myself - it is fantastic that you have turned everything around.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, as an introduction, after a fair bit of effort, and lurking on here for a while, I'm pleased to say my hba1c is level at around 35 to 36 for a while now, and I've just been taken of all meds.

So, it does seen to be possible.

Congratulations mate !!!!!!!!!!

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wish I had found this site before. Was diagnosed in mar 2016 with hbac 51. Managed to bring it done to 42 in a year without any major change to diet and just cut out added sugar and bread etc.

DSN kept saying I am doing great and should contiue with same. I never knew about remission or reversal.

Lo and be hold, last test in ma 2018 was 50. Jumped from 42 to 50.

So got back here and now doing what I can do go back to I suppose what you call remission or reverse level. So I don't know if I ever will be cured (unless science find a way, considering I am not even 40 yet), I will be controlled.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations

WOW! How amazing!