Dislikes
Stupid people
You can't eat that, your diabetic! I think that is the worst for me

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Or how about when you're type 2, and you're visiting your T1 friend, who goes "Why don't you have some potatoes? You can have a couple of units of my insulin to go with them". I still don't know if she was joking o_O

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@briped joking!!!!!!!
I really hope so, but I suspect she wasn't as that's her way of managing things, and she didn't look as if she was. Will have to ask her next time I visit.

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you allowed/why are you eating that!! xx

This is what I came here to say, it grinds me so much. I mean, obviously I shouldn't stuff my face with cake every day, but neither should the average person.

It really bugs me when people a) try and dictate what I eat and b) try and tell me how to care for myself and my body. It's my own body, I know exactly what to do so please leave it. Annoys me so much!

Jellytots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, cruelty to animals, leaking cannulas!
From family members if I'm annoyed/upset about something, or if I'm finding something difficult -
Are you sure you're not hypo?
Oh yes this one! It's usually my husband asking 'what's your sugar?!' if I say I've got a headache or don't feel well I forgot I couldn't just generally feel unwell and not have my T1 be a cause

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes this one! It's usually my husband asking 'what's your sugar?!' if I say I've got a headache or don't feel well I forgot I couldn't just generally feel unwell and not have my T1 be a cause
My mother does this, which I appreciate is her just looking out for me but it could honestly be like:

me: *sneezes*
mother: CHECK YOUR BLOODS ARE YOU HAVING A HYPO ARE YOU OKAY BE CAREFUL PLEASE OH MY GODDDDD

I'm like mam it's cool I'm allowed to have normal human issues

Reactions: Jellytots

Jellytots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, cruelty to animals, leaking cannulas!
My mother does this, which I appreciate is her just looking out for me but it could honestly be like:

me: *sneezes*
mother: CHECK YOUR BLOODS ARE YOU HAVING A HYPO ARE YOU OKAY BE CAREFUL PLEASE OH MY GODDDDD

I'm like mam it's cool I'm allowed to have normal human issues
Ha! My mum can be unbearable sometimes, agreed they worry and its all because they love us (I guess I'm probably the same with my little girl) but even now after years of dealing with all the T1 stuff on my own she still panics if I'm low. And after telling her thousands of times that I need quick acting carbs to treat it, she still asks me if I want a biscuit I usually respond by laughing which then makes her mad

I guess things have changed so much since I was a kid and she was the one who dealt with it all. Now if I talk basals and boluses she just stares at me blankly

Reactions: gsf1996

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With a doctor at my local practise - " Oh - your are Type 1 - I am surprised as there are not many seventy year old T1's about" Speechless for about 5 seconds then replied "well , I must be doing something right because it is now over 60 years of insulin injections!"

I am still surprised that my comment was so restrained - very unlike me. . . .

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told I was Diabetic in my late 50s told my mum and she said you don’t want that so I said ok I go back to docs and give it back,
Oh well she is in her 90s

Reactions: gsf1996

mamawoody

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When hearing I'm type 2, "Oh you must have lost a lot of weight!". I'm the same size I've always been. Even my doctor was baffled as to why I had developed it, said it was probably genetic... . Also the whole "But you can't eat that!" People seriously think that I'm going to keep over and die if I eat a chocolate!

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
Why dont you become a VEGAN!!!!!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other day whilst having a brief conversation about Weetabix at work with one of the ladies upstairs (who has gestational diabetes and is 'diet controlled'), I mentioned I was a type 1 diabetic and I'd had it since I was 2 and a question from her was 'how did you get it at 2, had you eaten too many sweets?' ... at least I was being good an didn't snap back :)

Reactions: kaylz91

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other day whilst having a brief conversation about Weetabix at work with one of the ladies upstairs (who has gestational diabetes and is 'diet controlled'), I mentioned I was a type 1 diabetic and I'd had it since I was 2 and a question from her was 'how did you get it at 2, had you eaten too many sweets?' ... at least I was being good an didn't snap back :)
How on earth did you not scream at them?? haha

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
I asked a work colleague if I could sit down for couple of minutes/needed Jelly Babies - hypo hitting (they aware I diabetic) - asked if I wanted a glass of water!