Meds & Keto

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally got in a groove with Keto and Intermittent Fasting. Dropped a kilo or two, bs between 4.2 and 5.5, was quite thrilled. And wouldn't you know it, I'm temporarily (week or two) on meds now that make my bs bounce all over the place. Between that and having trouble keeping food down, hypo's are a real possibility in spite of being a T2, and the doc wants me to stick to slightly higher numbers (8 or so) to avoid hypo's, as I am so ill I wouldn't be able to notice a hypo at the moment. So I've returned to LCHF for now. Curiously enough, my keto (wee) sticks indicate I'm still in ketosis. Any idea how long it takes for being out of ketosis to show up in a home pee-test? If I can stay in ketosis in spite of eating a little more carbs for now, (+/- 30 to 40 grams a day) and not doing IF for the coming 2 weeks, I certainly wouldn't mind! Pipe dream, or possibility? Thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally got in a groove with Keto and Intermittent Fasting. Dropped a kilo or two, bs between 4.2 and 5.5, was quite thrilled. And wouldn't you know it, I'm temporarily (week or two) on meds now that make my bs bounce all over the place. Between that and having trouble keeping food down, hypo's are a real possibility in spite of being a T2, and the doc wants me to stick to slightly higher numbers (8 or so) to avoid hypo's, as I am so ill I wouldn't be able to notice a hypo at the moment. So I've returned to LCHF for now. Curiously enough, my keto (wee) sticks indicate I'm still in ketosis. Any idea how long it takes for being out of ketosis to show up in a home pee-test? If I can stay in ketosis in spite of eating a little more carbs for now, (+/- 30 to 40 grams a day) and not doing IF for the coming 2 weeks, I certainly wouldn't mind! Pipe dream, or possibility? Thanks!

Hi JoKalsbeek - Sorry you're not feeling so well at the moment; especially when other thing seemed to be going your way.

I have never partiularly striven to be in ketosis, so couldn't tell you wher I might, or might not, toggle in/out of ketosis, and anyway, our bodies are all different anyway.

To be honest, if you are feeling as you describe, and are apotential danger to yourself, if you're in danger of a clinically worrying hypo, thenit makes sense to tweak things enough to get yourself out of danger. Once you feel better, and maybe once those interfering meds are out of your system, you can always revert to your preferred way of eating. Nutritional ketosis isn't on a non-return valve.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True, true... I guess a few weeks back out of ketosis won't hurt, and being slightly up in bs, temporarily, won't kill me. It just felt so good to finally shift some weight again. But I've got bigger issues to deal with right now, healthwise... Just had to hear someone else make some sense. Thank you.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
True, true... I guess a few weeks back out of ketosis won't hurt, and being slightly up in bs, temporarily, won't kill me. It just felt so good to finally shift some weight again. But I've got bigger issues to deal with right now, healthwise... Just had to hear someone else make some sense. Thank you.
when you say in ketosis how far? and what meds are you taking (feel free to tell me to bog off, I'm just a bit concerned)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
For any newly diagnosed members who might be considering a Ketogenic diet, nutritional ketosis and DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis) are two separate conditions. Nutritional ketosis is considered safe. DKA is extremely dangerous.

Reactions: rab5 and JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when you say in ketosis how far? and what meds are you taking (feel free to tell me to bog off, I'm just a bit concerned)
Not quite sure what you mean with how far...? I hover between 8 and 16, off the top of my head, according to the sticks. Is that what you mean? Only been at it for 4 weeks or something. (Time's a little blurry at the moment, sorry). I'm on an NSAID for now, no idea what it's called outside of the Nederlands. I've been on something similar before when my back gave me problems, and it made my bs drop like a stone repeatedly, while it should've raised it, from what I understood. (My being ill is not DKA related, should that be what's on your mind. Yay, small blessings! ;) )

Reactions: Engineer88

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @JoKalsbeek sorry to hear that you are having health issues that are so draining....I would say that your priority right now should be to look after yourself and not worry about ketosis, carbs, etc.....you have done so phenominally well with taking control of your diabetes, that a two week glitch is not going to undo any of that. Sending prayers and best wishes for a good recovery! Hang in there! Blessings/L

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @JoKalsbeek sorry to hear that you are having health issues that are so draining....I would say that your priority right now should be to look after yourself and not worry about ketosis, carbs, etc.....you have done so phenominally well with taking control of your diabetes, that a two week glitch is not going to undo any of that. Sending prayers and best wishes for a good recovery! Hang in there! Blessings/L
Thank you. I do need to hear these things. When brainfog sets in it's hard to get priorities straight.

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes get well soon!

I've found that according to the ketostix, I can just about stay in ketosis even on the days where for one reason or another I end up consuming up to 60g carbs, so it's more than possible you are staying in it with 40g although like others say, don't do anything detrimental to your overall health, so if you have to up the carbs temporarily it will be for the greater good.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes get well soon!

I've found that according to the ketostix, I can just about stay in ketosis even on the days where for one reason or another I end up consuming up to 60g carbs, so it's more than possible you are staying in it with 40g although like others say, don't do anything detrimental to your overall health, so if you have to up the carbs temporarily it will be for the greater good.
Didn't see this sooner, sorry! I never quite left ketosis, it seems, even with adding breakfast, crackers and tomatojuice...! Haven't hit a hypo, thankfully, so it worked, and am trying to halve the dosage of all meds. Might be too soon, but if it is, I'll find out in another hour or so; pain and puking would return full force. I'm terrified, but the NSAID can cause dependence rather quickly, and I want to avoid that if possible. So far, so good. Not anywhere near well yet, and won't be for about 3 months, but hopefully the worst has passed. If it stays at the painlevels it is now, I can handle it. Thanks again, you and everyone who took the time to comment. I didn't have my head screwed on straight, and common sense wasn't a given here. ;)

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I wouldn’t worry about being in ketosis. You can jump on and out of it anytime you want. Get yourself sorted first eat healthy. Then when you are ready step back on the merry go round. Hope feel better soon