What question would annoy you the most?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
"But that's cheating isn't it?".......

After I have explained to someone that I am giving myself another shot of insulin so I can have that "piece of cheesecake"

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After I was diagnosed last year I got totally fed up of hearing "I know xyz who has type 1 and it hasn't stopped them doing anything". Basically seemed to imply it wasn't a proper illness.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Shouldn't you sit down while you inject?

I assume they thought I might faint.

Reactions: gsf1996

Aj19851

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Who is a cure for diabetes a priority for? My reply being "me your type 1 sister and your type 2 mother" :/ sometimes it's not strangers we need to be wary of, it can be our own family too :(

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn't that contagious?

But you're not fat?

Doesn't that hurt?

I think my (x) had Type 1 but they looked after it so they no longer have it.

Oh yeah my (x) has Diabetes. (This annoys me because they relate it to me, thinking only one type of diabetes exists).

People asking me if I can eat this and that has never annoyed me, I think it's commonplace for someone to be concerned about a condition, in some respects tailored around what you're eating. I'm always quite happy they've asked - when I got Type 1, as a kid, my first thought myself was, 'but I'm not overweight, so how?' People aren't educated on it and I wouldn't expect them to be.
I agree that people aren't educated and wouldn't expect them to be but in that case I would also expect that they don't make stupid remarks about something they know nothing about. If someone had cancer or kidney disease, would those same people make off the cuff comments about their condition asking if they can do this and that?, I doubt it. For some reason diabetes is seen as a lazy and unworthy person's disease and it garners no sympathy or understanding whatsoever.

TUC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be honest no question about my diabetes annoy me. Why dhould we expect our friends and colleagues to know anything about diabetes? I'd far rather they asked me questions than feel too awkward to raise the subject. People need to be less sensitive and easily offended.

TUC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree that people aren't educated and wouldn't expect them to be but in that case I would also expect that they don't make stupid remarks about something they know nothing about. If someone had cancer or kidney disease, would those same people make off the cuff comments about their condition asking if they can do this and that?, I doubt it. For some reason diabetes is seen as a lazy and unworthy person's disease and it garners no sympathy or understanding whatsoever.
But cancer is in a different category isn't t? Yes people can die from diabetes but it is still much more possiible to manage the condition well than it is to 'manage' cancer.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Oh yes this one! It's usually my husband asking 'what's your sugar?!' if I say I've got a headache or don't feel well I forgot I couldn't just generally feel unwell and not have my T1 be a cause
I agree, but am sure that I must have caused my wife incredible anxst for 33 years. She is still a saint.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But cancer is in a different category isn't t? Yes people can die from diabetes but it is still much more possiible to manage the condition well than it is to 'manage' cancer.
Yes, of course it is but my point really was more that ANY condition is a personal thing and people should think twice before commenting on it, some people are happy with answering personal questions, I on the other hand am not when it comes from a stranger who knows NOTHING about it. Also I meant that those people who DON'T know anything about it should not be making assumptions.

Carol11

Not so much a question as a statement that we all have heard. They'll have a cure in 5 years. That was what? 20. 30 40 years ago?

Reactions: kaylz91

u655943

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 broadcasting everyone with T2 must be overweight and eat unhealthily - he must think he is very clever but you can't cure stupid

gsf1996

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much a question as a statement that we all have heard. They'll have a cure in 5 years. That was what? 20. 30 40 years ago?

When I was diagnosed, I was told by the doctors taking care of me "in ten years, there'll most likely be a cure". I was diagnosed 10 years ago this year...yeah, not looking likely haha.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
It’s very simple no one ever asks me silly questions - for the simple reason nobody knows. Why on earth do I have a need to say anything. There is no medical or clinical reason why I need to tell anyone.
My health is MY business not theirs!

I realise I am fortunate in that (currently) I take no medication, I eat healthily, I exercise (very) regularly and enjoy my new life - just as many people do!

H