Disappointing HbA1c result

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my bloods done every year and this third year it's come back as 55mmol it's not as good as my other two and I've tried so hard with exercise and diet. I eat more healthier than most people i know and exercise more than most people I know. My question is, should I be worried about this test result?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell us a little more so we can help you? Are you on any meds? If so what? Can you give us an example of a day’s menu? And do you monitor your blood sugars at home between blood tests at your appointments?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not ever compare myself to other people I know as, in all probability I don't know them that well to make assumptions on a whole range of things.
What is important is you and how you go about your relationship with T2. As @Rachox asked specifically your BG responses to the foods you eat is the one you need to consider.
I wish you well.

Reactions: Rachox

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 1500mg Metformin
Example of a typical days menu:
45g no added sugar muesli with no sugar soy milk
Coffee with no sugar soy milk

1 x apple

Ham or cheese sandwich with wholemeal bread and non dairy spread
1 x satsuma

Jacket with tuna and salad, non dairy spread

Decaf Coffee with no sugar soy milk

During the day 1.5l of no sugar weak orange squash

I don't monitor my bloods as the GP has said that I do not need to

Reactions: hankjam

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, let me tell you how I’ve got my HbA1cs down to consistent non diabetic levels. I too take Metformin, same dose as you. However I do monitor my blood sugars at home despite the general advice that Type 2s don’t need to. A lot of us here find that testing before and after food shows us what foods spike our sugars. Sugar obviously does but so do high carb foods. Let me list the foods I wouldn’t eat from your menu on account of their high carb count. Muesli, wholemeal bread, apple, satsuma and potato.
Have a look here for more info on low carb eating:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Edited for typo

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would support @Rachox advice, some of your items do look high in carbohydates, which will be convert to sugars pretty quickly. Testing lets you know in real time, how your system deals with the food you eat and allows you to make an informed decision day to day.
Thanks for posting your menu, it helps us help you.
Take care

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the others about the diet. I don't agree that you should not test at home. The meter is your most valuable tool. It shows you exactly how you react to certain foods. It shows you what you can tolerate and what you can't.

If you had tested before and after your bread, for example, you may have been surprised at the rise.

We are not all the same and you may be able to tolerate foods that I can't. That's why we need to test. It's not necessarily for ever. Just until we have things under control.

In November I was diagnosed with a score of 122. Yesterday I had an unexpected HbA1c test and it came back at 35.

I embraced lchf/keto from the start. I had a diabetic dog and had a meter for him so I already knew how valuable one was. It was natural for me to get one for myself. I went straight out and ordered one on line after reading on this forum that it would be unlikely to be prescribed by the NHS.

I went to see the diabetic nurse to discuss diet. I forestalled her be telling her that I had found this forum, embraced LCHF and showed her my food diary and spreadsheet readings. I walked away with a prescription for 100 test strips and a meter. I currently use about 200 a month but the prescription certainly helps. It won't last, I am sure it will be withdrawn once I am considered stable.

Despite having a fabulous result yesterday, I am still making mistakes as I eat different things. Tonight I had smoked trout as a treat in celebration of my result. Low carb on the nutritional information. But 9.2 on the meter. Reading the ingredients, soft brown sugar. Bummer. But I wouldn't have been alerted without my meter.

Eat to your meter is a bit of a mantra here for a very good reason.

If you want help selecting a meter just ask.Sorry to go on!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, get yourself a meter and in no time you'll be learning what foods are keeping your A1c higher than you would like.

Reactions: rab5 and dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

I agree with what everyone else has said, but would like to make some suggestions of alternative food choices :) which will hopefully show how tweaking what you are eating can be easy and enjoyable - and reap rewards for your next HbA1c

Have a look for a low carb bread. Burgen. HiLo. There are quite a few out there with lower carb levels. Or drop the bread completely and use lettuce wraps. Fill up on salad, protein, mayo instead. Crustless quiche. Hummus by the spoon. Diced peppers in olive oil, Mozzarella and tomato salad...

Base your evening meal around vegetables, courgettes, onion, peppers, broccoli, leeks... the list is endless. Ditch those carbs options like jacket pots and pasta - they just bump up your HbA1c. Replace them with a smidge more chicken or tuna, or whatever, a drizzle of flavoured oil, or a sprinkle of grated cheese over the veg.

Replace the satsuma and Apple (check the carb content, and you will see why!) with strawberries, raspberries or even a few blueberries. Have these at the end of a meal with a little soya cream (it slows the sugar absorption). If you need snacks in the day, then eat nuts or baby bels, or very dark choc (more than 70% cocoa solids)

Change from a carb breakfast to a protein one. This will make a big difference. Eggs, bacon, slices of cheese and ham, sausages. (You can cook sausages the night before and microwave).

If you compare your usual foods with the foods I have just suggested, you will see that the carb content is a lot lower. But there are other benefits too. More flavour. More nutrition. Better quality protein. Better quality good fats.

And if that doesn’t convince you, have a look at this
http://mediaserver.dwpub.com/fjd-profile/28220/Sugar+report.pdf

Edited for typos :)

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Carbs are the devil. You can do this. Get a meter join the revolution. This is just the next chapter on your adventure. Cut out the foods mentioned and within days your BG levels will fall. Good luck

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get meters free from some providers (they offer meters free as they want your business for the strips which are costly). I use freestyle optium neo which i got from my daughter who had gestational diabetes, she is normal now since having baby. Mine work out generally about £10 for 50 (self funding as not taking meds). Other meter strips are cheaper but I'm happy with my meter and don't want to change at tbis point. @Rachox might be able to offer some further info.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get meters free from some providers (they offer meters free as they want your business for the strips which are costly). I use freestyle optium neo which i got from my daughter who had gestational diabetes, she is normal now since having baby. Mine work out generally about £10 for 50 (self funding as not taking meds). Other meter strips are cheaper but I'm happy with my meter and don't want to change at tbis point. @Rachox might be able to offer some further info.

Indeed, here are some meters that are popular on the forum:

Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
your bread, jacket and orange squash are all high carb=sugar foods

Whilst juice is an obvious no-no, NAS squashes are really low carb. My supermarket own-brand variety is 0.4 g per 250 ml glass. It's also aspartame-free !
So @CDudley I wouldn't worry about your squash consumption, and if (i.e.when) you start home testing, you'll be able to see if it poses a problem FOR YOU.
Geoff

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst juice is an obvious no-no, NAS squashes are really low carb. My supermarket own-brand variety is 0.4 g per 250 ml glass. It's also aspartame-free !
So @CDudley I wouldn't worry about your squash consumption, and if (i.e.when) you start home testing, you'll be able to see if it poses a problem FOR YOU.
Geoff

Yes I agree, I don’t enjoy plain water and always have three or four different flavours of Tesco NAS squashes available. Tesco cherries and berries is my currant favourite :hungry:

P

pollensa

I have my bloods done every year and this third year it's come back as 55mmol it's not as good as my other two and I've tried so hard with exercise and diet. I eat more healthier than most people i know and exercise more than most people I know. My question is, should I be worried about this test result?

Suggestion box, Ask your doctor for breakdown explanation regards the reading, it may be the test which I understand covers approx 3 months period, you may may not have taken any medications during this period, been ill, lesser exercise during this particular period for example, which again may may not affect the final result, as my own doc says, a1c after all is simply just a general guide of how the candy is sticking to the cells situations can give different results. I would inform him what you ate or if you took meds during 3 months, and ask he explain the reading especially if as you say have been taking care, motivated regards foods you eat and exercise.

Variations can take place here in spain its a 0.5% difference either way, a result of 6% may be 5.5% or up to 6.5% they inform?
day of my last test, always ensuring I double check due to variations, day of test, I took my own A1C own home test in a fasting state it was 5% 7.30am I went to the surgery for the official lab test fasting state 8.15am 5.5%, I did Home A1C test 4.30pm same day, non fast 5.3% so there you go.....Yes there were some slight variations, yet all numbers are NORMAL RANGE so I dont care whether there is differences of variations numbers, as long as they are normal range zones, this indicates, variations do exist, and simply ask your doc to explain and break it down for you, for peace of mind.