Not hungry

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Do most of you still eat if you don't feel hungry?
I had my usual breakfast ... a little later than normal for me .. at about 8.15.

Then I did intend to cook something for lunch, but ended up with a few nuts and a piece of cheese.

It is now about five hours since then but I really don't feel like anything.

Should I force myself to eat or am I okay just to have a cuppa?

I really find this confusing, as I never know if I'm doing harm to my body!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No harm whatsoever. as long as you make sure you are eating all the required nutrients to keep body and soul together. Plenty of us only eat one meal a day (OMAD) but it is essential to check you have sufficient protein, fats and the vits and minerals in that one meal. It is actually good for T2 diabetics because it gives our pancreas a rest when not eating, and triggers very little insulin response.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We would normally sleep for seven or eight hours (well, you lucky people do!) and we do not suffer in any untoward manner so five hours is not going to harm you. As Bluetit says, make sure that your evening meal has everything you need nutritionally. It is possible that your body has just got used to not being fed carbs every three hours and your leptin/grehlin is back in sync.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you’re not hungry, and your glucose levels are ok, absolutely no need to eat at all. I often only have the one meal a day, at most two.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm similar @Mal37 after my 18 hour fasts I'm not always hungry but have to have something with my medication. Same again later just a little food so I can take my meds. :)

Reactions: Mal37

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the above, unless you're seriously underweight. In that case you might need to eat even when no hungry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to leave 5 hours between meals to give my pancreas a break as bluetit says, I do find that much longer than that and my liver starts helpfully dumping glucose and my blood sugar creeps up til I eat. It might be worth checking your levels while not eating to check this doesn’t happen to you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only ever eat when I am hungry these days. Its quite liberating to be free from the clock.

I did find that, early on in low carbing, I lost my appetite fro about a week. I think it was just my stomach re-adjusting. I went through a period also of needing to eat every 5 hours or so, or i got shaky, but that seems to have passed for now too.

Are you underweight? if now, I wouldnt worry about missing meals.

Reactions: lindijanice

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mal37

I see from your profile you are on Metformin. This is known to be an appetite suppressant, so that maybe one reason for your lack of hunger.

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I try to leave 5 hours between meals to give my pancreas a break as bluetit says, I do find that much longer than that and my liver starts helpfully dumping glucose and my blood sugar creeps up til I eat. It might be worth checking your levels while not eating to check this doesn’t happen to you.
That is a good idea actually! I shall try that if it should happen again today, thank you :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802