Best Way To Keep Libre Sensors On?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently bought 2 Libre sensors but haven't yet tried one. I have been researching on here how best to make sure my sensor doesn't fall off. I have so far found suggested: SkinTac wipes (very expensive), Rocktape, Tegaderm, VetWrap, Opsite and Flexifix. And lots of shops sell cheap body glue designed to attach sequins, glitter etc so perhaps not very strong or long lasting. My head is spinning. I would very much appreciate simple advice suitable to my inexperience and also bearing in mind that I am self-funding. And I'd quite like to buy something on the high street if possible.

Reactions: paganlady

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive only had 1 out of about 10 fall off, the rest have stayed firmly attached.
After the 1 that fell off, I attached the next 2 using skin tac which seemed to work well, unfortunately both sensors have failed for other reasons ( 1 never worked and the other was showing low 3’s when finger pricks were showing mid 6’s ) and both have had to be replaced by Abbot - that made the skin tac not such a good option at a wasted £1 per sensor which were both b******s to remove as the skin tac worked a little too well

D

Deleted Account

From my understanding, it is better to put something over the sensor rather than a glue/stickiness under the sensor as the latter may go into your arm when you insert the sensor and affect the readings.
Abbot suggest you don't need to use anything (and Theresa May doesn't: see photo on http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ys-diabetes-patch-not-available-patients.html). But of the two I used, the first fell off after 2 days so the second I attached with micropore tape.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is better to put something over the sensor rather than a glue/stickiness under the sensor as the latter may go into your arm when you insert the sensor and affect the readings.
OMG, that's a very important point I hadn't thought of.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used 10 sensors. Not one single one has fallen off. In fact, at the end of the 2 weeks it is still stuck like a limpet and my husband has to help me prise it off.
That's encouraging. Except that currently I haven't got a husband. Do you think yours would prise my sensor off for me?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Alexandra100 , a simple thing which is sometimes overlooked is preparing the arm properly before applying. I'll always shower or wash my arm to remove residual grease, use the alcohol wipes, and also shave the application area during the washing.

Heavens forfend, I'm not suggesting for a second you've got hairy arms, but most people, if they look closely, will find that they've got some hairs or a fine peach-fuzz, and that stuff can really compromise stickiness to a surprising degree if it's left to grow for 2 weeks under the sensor.

So, definitely think about running a razor over the arm first.

Most chemists sell Molnlycke Mepore 7 by 8 cm plasters for about 20p. They're not the classiest looking thing on the planet, but I always pop one on top because it smooths out the edges and makes it less likely to snag.

Some of the falling off episodes we read about are not so much to do with the inherent stickiness, more to do with just getting used to the fact that there's something on your arm, so avoid knocking it. I lost my second or third one, because I didn't realise how often I edged door-jambs. And paying attention to things like taking off rucksacks, jackets etc.

Am on my 54th at the moment and have only had 1 fall off, and that was because of bumping a door-jamb.

Tegaderm seems to be a good bet for swimmers.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I swear by Skin-Tac wipes, and the only time I’ve had a sensor fall off is when I’d run out. They’re designed for medical use - pump infusion sets and the like, so I don’t see that they’d do any harm if a tiny amount is on the needle. I’ve certainly never had any problems, and I never wear anything like Tegaderm over the top - I’m another one who has to make use of a husband to prise it off. Sometimes even my own ;) I’ve got some Rock Tape just in case one comes loose...

The only time I do put anything over it is at gigs, when I just tie a bandana around my arm to stop it getting knocked or picked off when things get a bit exuberant.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you mean the ones with the non-sticky pad in the middle?

That's the ones. I reckon they're pretty good because the non-sticky bit means that if the plaster becomes a bit tatty after a few days, you can remove and replace a new plaster without risking ripping off the sensor. Some other solutions are sticky all over so there's a risk of pulling the sensor.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C thanks very much for taking so much trouble, and for the encouragement.

No probs, A, these things are a brave new world, which have improved my life massively over the last couple of years, so am happy to share.

But, just remember, you're not a proper Libran till you've actually knocked one off on a door-jamb! It's like a rite of passage!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
* flicking one off with a bra strap is also an acceptable rite of passage. Bonus points if it’s somebody else’s ;)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
* flicking one off with a bra strap is also an acceptable rite of passage. Bonus points if it’s somebody else’s ;)

Doorjambs, rucksacks, bra straps, mosh pits - Abbott haven't put any of this in the in-box Patient Information Leaflet....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I exfoliate before application (nothing fancy. I just soak in a hot bath, then briskly rub my arm with a clean dry towel to remove any dead skin).
Then I let the skin dry properly.
No body lotion.
Then use the alcohol wipe in the Libre kit.

I must have used 15 sensors. 13 stuck like limpets. Painful to remove. 1 was scraped off by my handbag strap 15 mins before it was scheduled to die. And 1 fell off after too long in a hot tub. I rang Abbott. They replaced it, but I still feel a bit guilty, because, well, too long.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first batch of sensors from two years ago also like @Bluetit1802's stuck like limpets. My second batch from last year plus all the replacements from Abbott came off - I think just a single one lasted the full two weeks. :banghead: I tried Tegaderm but during the very hot humid weather last year I believe sweating under this was probably partiially to blame for losing one of those sensors.

I've been reluctant to continue, but recently realised I still had a couple of (rather well expired!) sensors so I'm currently trying Skin Tac wipes to help keep these glued on. One has lasted the full 2 weeks, and was no real problem when I very carefully - since it was sitting fairly close its successor - removed it without the need for anyone's husbands to coax it. The current sensor has been OK so far for 4 days again with Skin Tac so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Re cost of Skin Tac, little twin pack samples of both this and the Tac remover are available via Amazon - I've paid just over £3 for both samples including postage. which is obviously a better choice than buying the larger quantities if you're not sure if this might help or not. And I wasn't sure either just how long it would take me to get through a large pack since I haven't used the sensors continuously.

Robbity

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used Libre for over a year and had no problems with it sticking. In fact it was difficult to get it off!!!

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I swear by Skin-Tac wipes, and the only time I’ve had a sensor fall off is when I’d run out. They’re designed for medical use - pump infusion sets and the like, so I don’t see that they’d do any harm if a tiny amount is on the needle. I’ve certainly never had any problems, and I never wear anything like Tegaderm over the top - I’m another one who has to make use of a husband to prise it off. Sometimes even my own ;) I’ve got some Rock Tape just in case one comes loose...

The only time I do put anything over it is at gigs, when I just tie a bandana around my arm to stop it getting knocked or picked off when things get a bit exuberant.
I have never had a problem with any of mine goes on stays on!'brilliant easy to get off especially in bath never ever would use sticky stuff good luck!

Reactions: buckmr2

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
You lot seem to put in so much unnecessary effort. I use the swab thingy from the box and insert it and that's it, never had one fall off or get caught in anything or whatever. Never understood why people have kits with loads of stuff either, I bring my reader and a flexpen if I expect to be out for long enough to potentially need it and that's it. Laziness is a virtue. ;)

Reactions: buckmr2