Good Insulin Injection Practices.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I’ve recently started using the 4mm needles, I bought boxes of 8mm needles years ago and let these run out before swapping to the 4mm which was a DAFNE recommendation. I’m using Lantus and Novorapid reusable cartridge pens. I’ve noticed however that with Novorapid there is always a drop of insulin left on the end of the needle, I count to 10 after the injection so I’m leaving it in long enough and I have not noticed any significant difference in BGL readings.

Anyone else had issues with the 4mm needles?

Reactions: Ken Chuah

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve recently started using the 4mm needles, I bought boxes of 8mm needles years ago and let these run out before swapping to the 4mm which was a DAFNE recommendation. I’m using Lantus and Novorapid reusable cartridge pens. I’ve noticed however that with Novorapid there is always a drop of insulin left on the end of the needle, I count to 10 after the injection so I’m leaving it in long enough and I have not noticed any significant difference in BGL readings.

Hi @Blackers183 ,

Are you using a "Clik-Star" pen for Lantus & a Novopen for the bolus?

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi @Blackers183 ,

Are you using a "Clik-Star" pen for Lantus & a Novopen for the bolus?
I’m using the new AllStar Pro for Lantus which is a replacement for the Clik-Star, finding it a bit slippery to hold now using the 4mm needles though. I’m using a NovoPen 5 with the memory function.for NovoRapud insulin.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m using the new AllStar Pro for Lantus which is a replacement for the Clik-Star, finding it a bit slippery to hold now using the 4mm needles though. I’m using a NovoPen 5 with the memory function.for NovoRapud insulin.

Hi again.. Can I ask if the "allStar pro" has a plastic assembly on the rod & ram which pushes the bung in the cartridge..

I'm going somewhere with this. (Honest.) :)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.

I have the same issue but I asked about it in a thread and was assured that it's normal and not an issue to worry about.

I was concerned that I wasn't getting all of the dose but after observing the needles for a while now, I think it is just additional insulin coming out after I remove the needle.

When you do your 2u test before injecting, you'll see there's always a bubble on the tip afterwards. Shake it away, and another one appears. I think it's to do with the vacuum within the needle itself, which is a good thing because it reduces the risk of air getting in.

I'm very new to injecting so I could be wrong on all this, mind you.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi again.. Can I ask if the "allStar pro" has a plastic assembly on the rod & ram which pushes the bung in the cartridge..

I'm going somewhere with this. (Honest.) :)

The AllStar has a plastic rod and ram however it is the NovoPen that I’ve noticed the small drop of insulin at the end of the needle after injection. The NovoPen has a plastic ram but appears to be a steel rod, it’s a shiny steel colour anyway.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The link no longer works - for me...
Probably because this is a thread that was started 10-11 years ago, and even though the link looks to have been updated about 5 years ago, it probably doesn't exist anymore..

Ken Chuah

I am using 4 mm needles too since the beginning. Have not encountered any issue so far.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
1st of September 1980 my introduction into the world of injecting yourself, nurse came to the side of my hospital bed , with a pre filled disposable injection ( have to be thankful for that , was glass and metal syringe when I got home ) said to me pinch your leg and put it in , and hey presto fully trained and signed off.lol .the following day I was shown how to fill the syringe .. ...........oh happy days , .

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Famous70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello..
and I want to thank you for posting this article. It has a wealth of information, even if you have been injecting for years. It never hurts to find out more. I'm a T2 diabetic, and have been using the pen now for a few years, but I found the information on injecting with a pen to be informative and useful.
I hope every diabetic takes a good look at this, whether you're new to injection therapy, or not.

Best wishes to you all Obusoh Famous ONYENIKE