Low Carb Breakfast

Nikki1878

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone suggest a quick easy breakfast that doesn't require standing over a cooker?
I'm newly diagnosed and I'm really struggling for breakfast ideas. Mornings are hectic for me as I'm a single mum with 3 young children the youngest being only 17mths. Before diagnosis I would mostly skip breakfast as was too busy getting the children up, getting them fed and ready for school/nursery before going to work myself. Since being diabetic I've made an effort to have breakfast because I'm on metformin and was told it was dangerous to take it without food. So I've been doing low carb, both porridge and wheetabix spike me too much and so I opted for boiled egg. But now my doctor has said it's not good to have eggs everyday. My cholesterol is on the high side too so I'm watching my fat intake too and I'm avoiding fruit until my BG is more stable and lower. This has left me really limited I think and really struggling for different breakfast ideas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone suggest a quick easy breakfast that doesn't require standing over a cooker?
I'm newly diagnosed and I'm really struggling for breakfast ideas. Mornings are hectic for me as I'm a single mum with 3 young children the youngest being only 17mths. Before diagnosis I would mostly skip breakfast as was too busy getting the children up, getting them fed and ready for school/nursery before going to work myself. Since being diabetic I've made an effort to have breakfast because I'm on metformin and was told it was dangerous to take it without food. So I've been doing low carb, both porridge and wheetabix spike me too much and so I opted for boiled egg. But now my doctor has said it's not good to have eggs everyday. My cholesterol is on the high side too so I'm watching my fat intake too and I'm avoiding fruit until my BG is more stable and lower. This has left me really limited I think and really struggling for different breakfast ideas.

Firstly, your doctor is wrong. Our livers make our cholesterol according to how much is needed. When we eat foods that contain cholesterol, such as eggs, our livers just make a bit less. So it all balances out. Eggs have been demonised in the past, but this is no longer the case. Science moves on. I eat tons of eggs, at least one every day sometimes 2 or 3. My cholesterol is fine.

https://www.healthline.com/nutritio...re-the-healthiest-food-on-the-planet#section1

Secondly, if you had always skipped breakfast previously there is no reason why you shouldn't continue to do so. Many of us do. You could change the timing of your Metformin and have it with your lunch. The only reason you are advised to take it with meals is because in some people it can cause a tummy upset if not taken with food.

I just have a coffee with double cream as soon as I get up, and only eat in a 6 hour window - lunch and tea. You will read a lot of threads on the forum about intermittent fasting, and how it is good for T2 diabetics. My way is called 18/6. (18 hour fast, 6 hours in which to eat, but that doesn't include things like tea, coffee, water etc, which you can have whenever)

Some people have a full fat plain yogurt with either 2 or 3 small strawberries or half a dozen raspberries, but I find my coffee and cream is better for me.

Is there a particular reason why you are avoiding fat?

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

30g of mixed nuts with 50ml of milk is like an oat-free muesli, especially if you add 3 raisins chopped up into it. I find I can have that and usually my 2 hour reading is the same as my starting point, even with the raisins.

It's a tiny volume of food but I find I can get through the morning at work fine on that.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, a quick easy breakfast I have sometimes is ham and cheese. Easy to eat on the go if necessary, tasty and I find quite filling.
With regards to eggs, as others have said and I agree with, they are good for us type 2 low carb controlled people, one way you could have these as a quick breakfast would be to bake eggs in muffin tins and then eat cold or heated quickly in the microwave. They can be made with lots of tasty additions such as cheese, tomato, onion, bacon, ham, mushrooms, salmon, the list is endless. I generally make 12 with a variety of fillings, they keep for a couple of days in the fridge or freeze well, just remember to take one or two out the night before ready for a quick brekkie the next day.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Now't at all wrong with eggs and they are very versatile! But in addition to the excellent suggestions already made :
Pre-packed kippers heated in the microwave.
Thinly cut ham rolls with a filling of peanut butter - you can also do the same with rolls of crispy lettuce.
Low sugar/carb yoghurt with berries and/or nuts.
Lettuce and sliced smoked salmon 'sandwich'. Has a lovely crunch to it!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
on week days i have no added sugar greek yogurt or quark (check the labels for no added thickeners either) with ground flaxseed or chiaseed (often use Linwood brand if on offer) and cinnamon or few berries

another favourite is scrambled eggs - can be made in the microwave but i prefer it made in pan

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make keto cheesse scones and split with butter make a satisfying breakfast. The recipe is on @itwontdiabeatus site or google keto cheese scones. They are quick to make and though the recipe is for 4 I scale up and make 6 (still use 1 egg) and freeze them individually in bags and take one out before I go to bed. Job done!

Reactions: Nikki1878

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now't at all wrong with eggs and they are very versatile! But in addition to the excellent suggestions already made :
Pre-packed kippers heated in the microwave.
Thinly cut ham rolls with a filling of peanut butter - you can also do the same with rolls of crispy lettuce.
Low sugar/carb yoghurt with berries and/or nuts.
Lettuce and sliced smoked salmon 'sandwich'. Has a lovely crunch to it!
Lol couldnt imagine myself having lettuce for breaky though :)

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was going to ask this question, thankfully Iv no need. You kind people have given me the answers
I’m new to all this and I’m struggling too. I’m trying to keep to 50 carbs or day.
Not sure if I’m right or wrong. My GP does not appear very interested either. This for me is a big deal.
If not for you people I’m not sure I would be coping.
Thanks to you all.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I do the same as Rachox suggested berries and Greek yoghurt x

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1/2 cup porridge oats and 1 cup water - 2 minutes in microwave stir and add your preferences
Tea and toast

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
1/2 cup porridge oats and 1 cup water - 2 minutes in microwave stir and add your preferences
Tea and toast

I think you may have missed reading the title of the post.. ie low carb...and porridge spikes...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say don't think too much about typical 'breakfast' items, how about some re heated homemade soup?, a piece of salmon cooked in the microwave or cold out of the fridge, a few pieces of chicken (low carb spiced) tikka in fact anything that you would normally eat later on in the day, why be constrained by the norm? x

Gee1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rarely eat breakfast, so my diabetes doc said take metformin with your biggest meal.

When I do eat it, or for lunch, I will have eggs (all sorts) with tomatoes for salad, or will have some salami with feta cheese and tomatoes, or fried salted bell peppers with tomato salad. Delicious!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping for some advice regarding breakfast ideas. I am a type 1 diabetic

Now I like my breakfast cereals in morning, but find even with a measured amount of my favourite, Granola, it does tend to spike my BG.

I am also avoiding bread at moment so toast is a no no and I don't particularly like yogurts so also a no no.

I would prefer to stick to breakfast cereal if possible as it is quick and simple, don't have a lot of time in mornings.

So, are there any breakfast cereal that are better and less likely to cause spikes

Nikki1878

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, your doctor is wrong. Our livers make our cholesterol according to how much is needed. When we eat foods that contain cholesterol, such as eggs, our livers just make a bit less. So it all balances out. Eggs have been demonised in the past, but this is no longer the case. Science moves on. I eat tons of eggs, at least one every day sometimes 2 or 3. My cholesterol is fine.

https://www.healthline.com/nutritio...re-the-healthiest-food-on-the-planet#section1

Secondly, if you had always skipped breakfast previously there is no reason why you shouldn't continue to do so. Many of us do. You could change the timing of your Metformin and have it with your lunch. The only reason you are advised to take it with meals is because in some people it can cause a tummy upset if not taken with food.

I just have a coffee with double cream as soon as I get up, and only eat in a 6 hour window - lunch and tea. You will read a lot of threads on the forum about intermittent fasting, and how it is good for T2 diabetics. My way is called 18/6. (18 hour fast, 6 hours in which to eat, but that doesn't include things like tea, coffee, water etc, which you can have whenever)

Some people have a full fat plain yogurt with either 2 or 3 small strawberries or half a dozen raspberries, but I find my coffee and cream is better for me.

Is there a particular reason why you are avoiding fat?
All I've been told by my GP is to take 500mg of metformin 3 times a day (1 with breakfast, dinner and tea). So I've been having breakfast to take the metformin. If I skipped breakfast should I miss that dose or double up on the metformin with my dinner or tea to keep it to the 1500mg a day? I'm so confused