Why So Few?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would just post my thread in the Forum of the type I am, or would prefer responses from. I only ever post my fasting blood sugars in the type 2 thread for fasting levels for example.
I have responded to T1 and T2 who have asked questions I can't answer by saying hello and explaining that I am tagging in people who CAN answer them. Surely it's better to acknowledge a newby regardless of type rather than leaving them feeling ignored?

Reactions: mountaintom

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have responded to T1 and T2 who have asked questions I can't answer by saying hello and explaining that I am tagging in people who CAN answer them. Surely it's better to acknowledge a newby regardless of type rather than leaving them feeling ignored?

I do the same. Everyone needs a welcome.

Reactions: mountaintom

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are any of you T1s, LADAs and 3cs interested in your own thread for FBGs or not? If it doesn't help you personally it may help others.
Surely, as we are all individual and manage things in our own way, sharing our FBG's isn't actually helpful? Or am I over simplifying things? Just because 'Joe Bloggs' has a FBG of XX it doesn't mean I should aspire to the same or feel better about mine. We are all unique and comparing with others could be dangerous.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do the same. Everyone needs a welcome.

Oh indeed I agree. My post here that @archersuz has quoted was in response to @AdamJames querying where posts should be placed. I wasn’t questioning Type 1s on Type 2s threads or vice versa. We were talking about where to place a post in the first place to get the best response.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely, as we are all individual and manage things in our own way, sharing our FBG's isn't actually helpful? Or am I over simplifying things? Just because 'Joe Bloggs' has a FBG of XX it doesn't mean I should aspire to the same or feel better about mine. We are all unique and comparing with others could be dangerous.

Exactly my thoughts on the T2 FBG thread.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
41000 replies on one thread and 27000 on the other would suggest that not everyone feels the same as you. 'we are all different' springs to mind.....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't post many new threads so don't actually think about that, but I will always look at the 'what's trending' threads and read with interest, contribute where I think I can be useful, or dismiss.
It can be very easy to miss which forum you land in if you go into a thread via ‘recent posts’ or ‘new posts’. It’s all too easy to fall into that trap! I certainly have in the past.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So were the Mods called into this thread? I, as a T2 was not offended by any of the comments made about T2's. I took it as friendly banter - maybe others didn't take it as such?
Yes, several of us have tried to keep this thread on an even keel.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be very easy to miss which forum you land in if you go into a thread via ‘recent posts’ or ‘new posts’. It’s all too easy to fall into that trap! I certainly have in the past.

From what I can gather, most people go straight to new or recent posts. I certainly do. I would find it laborious to use the list of sub forums and then look at them in turn. I only go there if starting a new thread, which is rare.

Reactions: dbr10

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hmmm, as a type 2 on insulin I have found this thread
A very informative.
B amusing and have not taken any offence whatsoever.

As you will see if you care to look back at an earlier posting of mine on this thread you will see that I think that the type I members can help us type 2 members enormously.

Please moderators let the adverse and not politically correct postings stand. Please ask yourselves are you over regulating and risking driving members away.

Reactions: karen8967

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We won't get that if T1s don't bother posting because they are outnumbered by T2s.

Maybe the report button would be useful if T1s feel that T2s are taking over T1 threads? (lol yeh I expect to be reported for posting on this thread now lol - but in my defence I feel I have been respecting T1s in doing so) We do need experienced T1s to guide newbies. Please T1s don't just stop posting because there are so many T2s. That's not going to help even things out.
I wouldn't even consider hitting the report button where you are concerned :). Your suggestion of a specific thread for T1 and FBG is a great idea and I think would answer the OP's original question. Personally I think FBG isn't as important to newbies as much as people think it may be. I, along with many T1's on the forum have been doing this for years and in all honesty if we get up every morning for a week with a BS level below 8 we feel like a million dollars and think we've cracked it. I think that posters on this thread have tried to differentiate what FBG means to T1's and T2's. Sadly unneeded intervention has made it more of a debate. I think a lot of T1's especially experienced ones choose not to post because it isn't a big enough part of our lives. But hey, who knows, a bespoke thread could prove me wrong.

Reactions: zand

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So were the Mods called into this thread?

I am probably not supposed to discuss this but for the record - Yes. Complaints have been received from forum members and I guess it shows how careful we need to be with the written word. "The pen is mightier than the sword" and all that.

As @Rachox has pointed out, we do sometimes try to diffuse exchanges before they get to this point but it doesn't always work.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We need a “Friendly banter” friendly forum.
Any of you guys use Facebook? We could set up a group/messenger group/WhatsApp thingy for the more bantery aspect, if anyone’s interested? I’d be happy to set up a group attached to my fb page, I think I have an option to do that. Or even a group PM thread on here?

Sorry if that’s not an appropriate suggestion, Modmins.

Reactions: karen8967

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So @mountaintom are you setting up a Friendly banter thread or joining @alf_Josiah ?
Who's trying a fasting T1 thread?
Let's get this forum back on the road.