Porridge Is Good For You But!!!

3buoys

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold weather
I was diagnosed as Pre-diabetic about 3years ago and immediately went onto LCHF and lost 2.5 Stone and blood sugar returned to normal. My question to people on this forum is does it harm me if I spike my blood sugar to 10 mmols/L? I have recently tried eating raw porridge oats with lactose free milk as I love them but it spikes me up to 10. Is that acceptable once in a while or is it a no no?
Your help would be appreciated.

Paul

Reactions: Adel1988

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't but that's just me.. it's certainly not doing you any good..
Whether it is doing you significant long term harm no-one can say for sure.
If it's a risk you are prepared to take...
Edit to add don't agree with your title either...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Foods are only good if they are good for us personally.

Milk is considered good, in general, but is bad for my lactose intolerant friend
Weetabix is considered good, in general, but bad for my gluten intolerant sister.
Porridge is considered good, but is bad for my blood glucose levels.
Nuts are considered good, in general, but bad for those allergic to them.

etc etc.

Reactions: Freema and Adel1988

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @3buoys, good work on getting your levels down and weight loss! I don't know how much oats you are eating, but try a smaller amount if you really feel you want them. Throw away the milk and try cream as well. I have found through experimenting that I can have 1/4 cup steel cut oats with 18% cream (I'm in Canada so don't have double cream) with 1/4c walnuts and 6 or 8 raspberries and I don't get much of a spike.....but 1/4 cup looks rather paltry so I would rather have 4 strips of bacon and two eggs:) It is all individual, so keep trying to tweak your amounts until you don't see that rise......10 IS NOT a good number, if you want consistent blood sugar levels....some believe these kind of spikes are worse for us internally....Cheers/L

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I misread the title of the thread as 'Porridge is good for your butt. Sorry,

I would say a spike to 10 mmol/l is considered something to avoid, Occasional blips like this may be tolerated if a rare event, but regular binge's of this size would lead long term to poor bgl control IMO.

Try changing the porridge to whole grain milled (stoneground) rather than use commercial supermarket fare. Especially the 2 min instant varieties, that microwave for convenience. Use the trad way of preparing.

Are you lactose intolerant? A way of reducing the spike may be using full cream or say coconut milk or linseed to get some fat into the mix to slow the digestion. adding fibre such as chia seeds or ground-up nuts may be something to try instead.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Spikes above 7.8 mmol are meant to cause microscopic damage. If I saw anything approaching 10 assuming you were somewhere near 5 or 6 to start with, I would question the of value of this. As ever as we are human sometimes it is just a case of, I have to have it - this is a choice.

I used to eat porridge whilst trying to reverse diabetes using 40 grams. I eventually swapped this for almonds, hazel nuts, brazil nuts, pecan nuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts with full fat Greek Yogurt or Coconut milk (sometimes some berries as well). Roasting the nuts makes a great change and now I also add my home made desiccated roasted coconut.

Reactions: Freema and Adel1988

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spikes above 7.8 mmol are meant to cause microscopic damage. If I saw anything approaching 10 assuming you were somewhere near 5 or 6 to start with, I would question the of value of this. As ever as we are human sometimes it is just a case of, I have to have it - this is a choice.

I used to eat porridge whilst trying to reverse diabetes using 40 grams. I eventually swapped this for almonds, hazel nuts, brazil nuts, pecan nuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts with full fat Greek Yogurt or Coconut milk (sometimes some berries as well). Roasting the nuts makes a great change and now I also add my home made desiccated roasted coconut.
That's most type 1's doomed then.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
That's most type 1's doomed then.
No not at all, some Type 1's have better overall control than Type 2's. I am in a biased / position of conflict, as I believe low carb trounces high carb in every department; but I everyone has to do what suits them.

Reactions: Freema

3buoys

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold weather
I wouldn't but that's just me.. it's certainly not doing you any good..
Whether it is doing you significant long term harm no-one can say for sure.
If it's a risk you are prepared to take...
Edit to add don't agree with your title either...

What’s wrong with my title?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
10s are too rich for my blood. Last time I saw one was after caudal steroid injections.

3buoys

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold weather
I misread the title of the thread as 'Porridge is good for your butt. Sorry,

I would say a spike to 10 mmol/l is considered something to avoid, Occasional blips like this may be tolerated if a rare event, but regular binge's of this size would lead long term to poor bgl control IMO.

Try changing the porridge to whole grain milled (stoneground) rather than use commercial supermarket fare. Especially the 2 min instant varieties, that microwave for convenience. Use the trad way of preparing.

Are you lactose intolerant? A way of reducing the spike may be using full cream or say coconut milk or linseed to get some fat into the mix to slow the digestion. adding fibre such as chia seeds or ground-up nuts may be something to try instead.

Hi thank you for your comments I am Lactose intolerant and for many years use lactose free milk and find that is great. My wife and I do not eat any processed food with the exception of very very occasionally maybe if dining out with friends but do our best to avoid. We also buy our oats from health food shops and try and buy as natural as possible but find it quite difficult. I have never seen any steel cut oats. We are in the UK. Would Natural Greek yoghurt be better with the oats, I do like eating them cold as in not cooked. We also keep a large quantity of nuts and binge on them quite a lot.
I like coconut milk so yes I will try that. The reason I am trying to eat oats again is because I have been trying to loose some more weight but am struggling. I am not a big person but carry my excess around my middle. So I am eating a quite strict low carb diet which seems to have caused constipation and thought the oats would help with the fibre!! They were helping so will have to try another method,

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m from Wales, Butt is a commonly used word for mate. So you can imagine how I read that title ;)

Reactions: 3buoys

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you for your comments I am Lactose intolerant and for many years use lactose free milk and find that is great. My wife and I do not eat any processed food with the exception of very very occasionally maybe if dining out with friends but do our best to avoid. We also buy our oats from health food shops and try and buy as natural as possible but find it quite difficult. I have never seen any steel cut oats. We are in the UK. Would Natural Greek yoghurt be better with the oats, I do like eating them cold as in not cooked. We also keep a large quantity of nuts and binge on them quite a lot.
I like coconut milk so yes I will try that. The reason I am trying to eat oats again is because I have been trying to loose some more weight but am struggling. I am not a big person but carry my excess around my middle. So I am eating a quite strict low carb diet which seems to have caused constipation and thought the oats would help with the fibre!! They were helping so will have to try another method,
I take your point re: laxative needs. I found I could tolerate a slice of wholegrain seeded toast in the morning and that keeps me regular. The Chia seeds or flaseed I was advising will do this too, as would linseed. These are the seeds on the bread I use.

Obviously oats are not very low carb, but are lowish GI which is why porridge can work for some, but they really do not belong in a strict low carb diet. Depends on whether weight loss or bgl control is your priority. I choose bgl control myself.

Reactions: 3buoys

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you tried Keto coconut porridge? Recipe is on Dietdoctor.com. It is a lovely, low carb alternative.
As for being bunged up, I find coffee helps along with a daily pinch or two of psyllium husk. Good luck.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi 3buoys...I am speaking as the former Low Carb Constipation Queen! I always had to give up on low carb because everything just ground to a halt in the poo department. However some lovely person on here (Bluetit I think?) suggested Flax seeds. You need to grind them up, and there are quite a few recipes out there including muffins. Now I'm not going to lie and say they are fantastic but they definitely do the job (no pun intented). Also I think drinking water and having a decent amount of fat helps :) Flax seeds have been a game changer for me and mean I can now do this way of eating for life.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi 3buoys...I am speaking as the former Low Carb Constipation Queen! I always had to give up on low carb because everything just ground to a halt in the poo department. However some lovely person on here (Bluetit I think?) suggested Flax seeds. You need to grind them up, and there are quite a few recipes out there including muffins. Now I'm not going to lie and say they are fantastic but they definitely do the job (no pun intented). Also I think drinking water and having a decent amount of fat helps :) Flax seeds have been a game changer for me and mean I can now do this way of eating for life.

It may have been me suggesting the flaxseed because I use it daily. I buy it ready ground and sprinkle it on my food. It works fine with any food that is moist, even tomatoes, and can be added to soups, stews etc.. I do find I need to be careful with quantity - too much and it does its job a bit too well!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Psyllium husk powder can also get things moving. But plenty of fat to lubricate things also helps. And water is essential.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may have been me suggesting the flaxseed because I use it daily. I buy it ready ground and sprinkle it on my food. It works fine with any food that is moist, even tomatoes, and can be added to soups, stews etc.. I do find I need to be careful with quantity - too much and it does its job a bit too well!

I haven't had that "problem" yet Bluetit...I wish!