Type 2: Has Anyone Been Referred By Their Health Provider To A Program To Get More Active?

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone got experience of exercise program referral from their GPs surgery or health provider/practitioner?

I am seeing the (non-diabetic) nurse soon to get referred onto our local scheme, which involves group or individual activity programmes over 45 weeks. I only found out about it today as my husband has been referred onto it. I am a little surprised that with a considerably higher BMI than him (49.5 kilos/109 pounds above the top end of a healthy BMI in mid April), and a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes and recently diagnosed with raised blood pressure, I was not referred to the scheme myself. If I hadn't been there accompanying him I would never have heard about it.

This is all the more frustrating when I am determined to lose weight and develop muscle to lower my insulin resistance and had already managed to shift 5.3 kilos (11.7 pounds) between making an appointment to talk to the doctor about getting tested and seeing the diabetic nurse. At the appointment with the DN there was more talk about the terrible and apparently inevitable complications looming in my future than any suggestions of how to manage my condition apart from drugs and more drugs. Fortunately for my mental health I had already found this forum, so I focused on making lifestyle changes and getting weight off with a LCHF diet, rather than being terrified and popping pills.

Although I do a lot of exercise at the moment, it is all at home, and mainly focuses on building muscle in the arms and legs. I haven't seen the inside of a gym in years, but I would like to start doing some weight training, and would benefit from having access to a wider range of exercise equipment. I could really do with some help to see what options are available to me to get more active.

I am working towards walking more once my weight comes down a bit lower to protect my knees as I live in a very hilly area. I love walking but my knees don't, so I have to be careful not to overdo it as I suffer from terrible knee pain if I do. I have been dealing with chronic knee pain that got a lot worse from January this year. With getting some weight off since a couple of weeks before diagnosis at the end of April (to date 14.9 kilos/32.8 lb), my knees are gradually getting better, but flare up if I am not careful. I think with another 30-40 pounds off my knees will be a lot better and I will be able to step up with the walking without doing any damage. I am using a pedal exerciser to mobilise my knees and strengthen the muscles to work towards walking more. I think I could also try swimming as a means of improving general fitness and building muscle without the impact through my knees becoming a problem.

I feel sad in some ways that I lost my fitness as when I was younger I was very active and walked miles every day to and from work rather than using public transport. I ended up leading a very sedentary lifestyle for years, so I need to get my confidence back with the exercise. I am keen to set myself challenges and build my fitness.

I am not going to look back on what I could have done to avoid this situation. I would rather look at what I can do to improve my health, and grab the diabetes monster with both hands and shake the bejesus out of it.

What has your experience been with NHS or doctor/nurse referrals? Any information would be good as it seems that these programmes can be a well kept secret and I am sure there are people who would benefit from your opinions and experiences of the schemes as well as myself.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Has anyone got experience of exercise program referral from their GPs surgery or health provider/practitioner?

I am seeing the (non-diabetic) nurse soon to get referred onto our local scheme, which involves group or individual activity programmes over 45 weeks. I only found out about it today as my husband has been referred onto it. I am a little surprised that with a considerably higher BMI than him (49.5 kilos/109 pounds above the top end of a healthy BMI in mid April), and a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes and recently diagnosed with raised blood pressure, I was not referred to the scheme myself. If I hadn't been there accompanying him I would never have heard about it.

This is all the more frustrating when I am determined to lose weight and develop muscle to lower my insulin resistance and had already managed to shift 5.3 kilos (11.7 pounds) between making an appointment to talk to the doctor about getting tested and seeing the diabetic nurse. At the appointment with the DN there was more talk about the terrible and apparently inevitable complications looming in my future than any suggestions of how to manage my condition apart from drugs and more drugs. Fortunately for my mental health I had already found this forum, so I focused on making lifestyle changes and getting weight off with a LCHF diet, rather than being terrified and popping pills.

Although I do a lot of exercise at the moment, it is all at home, and mainly focuses on building muscle in the arms and legs. I haven't seen the inside of a gym in years, but I would like to start doing some weight training, and would benefit from having access to a wider range of exercise equipment. I could really do with some help to see what options are available to me to get more active.

I am working towards walking more once my weight comes down a bit lower to protect my knees as I live in a very hilly area. I love walking but my knees don't, so I have to be careful not to overdo it as I suffer from terrible knee pain if I do. I have been dealing with chronic knee pain that got a lot worse from January this year. With getting some weight off since a couple of weeks before diagnosis at the end of April (to date 14.9 kilos/32.8 lb), my knees are gradually getting better, but flare up if I am not careful. I think with another 30-40 pounds off my knees will be a lot better and I will be able to step up with the walking without doing any damage. I am using a pedal exerciser to mobilise my knees and strengthen the muscles to work towards walking more. I think I could also try swimming as a means of improving general fitness and building muscle without the impact through my knees becoming a problem.

I feel sad in some ways that I lost my fitness as when I was younger I was very active and walked miles every day to and from work rather than using public transport. I ended up leading a very sedentary lifestyle for years, so I need to get my confidence back with the exercise. I am keen to set myself challenges and build my fitness.

I am not going to look back on what I could have done to avoid this situation. I would rather look at what I can do to improve my health, and grab the diabetes monster with both hands and shake the bejesus out of it.

What has your experience been with NHS or doctor/nurse referrals? Any information would be good as it seems that these programmes can be a well kept secret and I am sure there are people who would benefit from your opinions and experiences of the schemes as well as myself.
I was referred to the gym via gp and it was good but then I became ill and my back went on me, at home. I have scatica and the bulging disc causes nipped S1 in my pelvis. Very very painful.

I enjoyed the intro and the assessment by the gym technician. It was good fun. :)

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was referred to the gym via gp and it was good but then I became ill and my back went on me, at home. I have scatica and the bulging disc causes nipped S1 in my pelvis. Very very painful.

I enjoyed the intro and the assessment by the gym technician. It was good fun. :)

@ickihun - sorry to hear that you ended up with back issues, but good to hear that you found the introduction good fun and enjoyable.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe it depends where you live...as per usual...ive heard about doctors prescribing gym memberships etc in the press but ive never seen any posters etc about it.at any health centre etc...i asked the dr once...no no no we dont do that....our local council run leisure centre was giving free 'sessions' ...1 hour...as part of the healthy life scheme...but i didnt find out about that untill 3 weeks after the event...!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that I could go to the gym in order to reduce my weight - but only during the busiest hour of my day when getting everyone up and off to school and work. At the time my husband left for work, the free session ended.
I was told I was being obstructive in their efforts to help me, so I hope that the scheme you might be offered is more suitable for your lifestyle.