Itv The Fat Fix: Diabetes

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well so far they have not mentioned the word carbohydrate and have said "The fater you are the more problem you have with dealing with food'. Also "keto sticks are available from all good drug stores".

They are drinking an unidentified CALORIE controlled mix of **** that we don't get to know what is in it (but will probably be available in all good drug stores soon) but I guarantee if they do lower blood sugars and they've gone into ketosis it does not contain carbs! We can have all the calories we want and as long as I don't have carbs then our blood sugars will not rise and we will not get fat.

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't believe they have got all these people SUFFERING to reverse their diabetes drinking horrible unidentifiable shake claiming of tiredness and feeling rubbish and they say they're going to go home and carry on doing it when they should be giving people feasts of low carb stuff (like they did in the truth about carbs) and showing them how much better they will feel!!

Reactions: flexi06 and Prem51

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it has just finished and my first thought was how accusatory it was. All the participants were made to feel massively guilty about being 'fat' and having type 2 diabetes and fatty livers. Not once did the Presenters explain how a person might come to get diabetes, ie their body's inability to process carbs properly being the primary factor (otherwise all people of the same size would get it!). I felt so sorry for them, they looked thoroughly ashamed and NO effort was made to alleviate this 'shame'. They basically were told 'You are fat and that is why you have diabetes and might die'. Just the once, with the bloke with the dreadlocks, did they say his race might have attributed to his propensity to store fat around his liver, he was the one who wasn't even that fat anyway. When they showed the dead man's inner workings, again no effort was made to explain why he might have had a fatty liver and organs. Sorry, I'm not sure what the purpose of this experiment was and although it did show not eating properly for a month reduced glucose and fatty livers (well it would wouldn't it), it did NOT address the causes of type 2 or provide any useful information as to how type 2 develops.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe they have got all these people SUFFERING to reverse their diabetes drinking horrible unidentifiable shake claiming of tiredness and feeling rubbish and they say they're going to go home and carry on doing it when they should be giving people feasts of low carb stuff (like they did in the truth about carbs) and showing them how much better they will feel!!

I'm surprised nobody else has been watching this. The results were fantastic but like you've said, there is no way I am guzzling some vile processed muck. I could do 800 cals, no problem, but I couldn't spend 8 weeks of my life having that bilge! I wonder why Roy Taylor etc advocate shakes?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wholeheartedly agree with you, they have basically missed an opportunity to show people that you can eat a low carb (delicious) diet and still achieve the same benefits. Nope, apparently it will only work with sludge. People will watch this and think if that's what you have to eat, why bother!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame really that method would put off many people with diabetes doing it too as they gave clear message it needed medical supervision and support. Clearly you need punishing with vile shakes if you’ve got yourself into such a mess! What we all achieve at home with a LCHF way of eating would have been much more encouraging, doable and inspiring and sustainable. Wonder if carbs will ever get mentioned?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well so far they have not mentioned the word carbohydrate and have said "The fater you are the more problem you have with dealing with food'. Also "keto sticks are available from all good drug stores".

They are drinking an unidentified CALORIE controlled mix of **** that we don't get to know what is in it (but will probably be available in all good drug stores soon) but I guarantee if they do lower blood sugars and they've gone into ketosis it does not contain carbs! We can have all the calories we want and as long as I don't have carbs then our blood sugars will not rise and we will not get fat.
The packaging of the shakes looked like the Exante ones - they are around 18-22g carbs each depending on the flavour

Last edited:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it has just finished and my first thought was how accusatory it was. All the participants were made to feel massively guilty about being 'fat' and having type 2 diabetes and fatty livers. Not once did the Presenters explain how a person might come to get diabetes, ie their body's inability to process carbs properly being the primary factor (otherwise all people of the same size would get it!). I felt so sorry for them, they looked thoroughly ashamed and NO effort was made to alleviate this 'shame'.

Don't forget that they also mentioned how much they were costing the NHS as well.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm surprised nobody else has been watching this. The results were fantastic but like you've said, there is no way I am guzzling some vile processed muck. I could do 800 cals, no problem, but I couldn't spend 8 weeks of my life having that bilge! I wonder why Roy Taylor etc advocate shakes?
Because they do it in research programme so have to ensure consistensy in order to have valid results. In the context of the ND research that means all subjects eat the same food to ensure exactly the same nutritional content. The researchers are clear that in the real world it mattes less what foods people choose to eat to make up the 800cals

Reactions: Robbity and Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The packaging of the shakes looked like the Exante ones - they are around 18-22g cabs each depending on the flavour
I nearly fell off my chair when they mentioned eating a pasta carbonara shake - that must be at least 22g of carb will also prepare them for their future carb eating when they’ve reversed diabetes - not!

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The packaging of the shakes looked like the Exante ones - they are around 18-22g cabs each depending on the flavour
That would explain why they only lost a bit of weight and their blood sugars weren't totally normal at the end.. they can't have been truly low carb

Reactions: flexi06

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How amazing would it be if we could make our own TV show, explaining the benefits of low carb, demonstrate our tasty food and show off our lower BG and weight loss numbers. Admittedly it might take a bit longer than 4 weeks but I and many of us here have achieved amazing results relatively quickly.
Real food, real results, better health and well being and no cost to the NHS, many of us funding our diets and without needing meds, buying our own meters and test strips.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh yes Adam, that made my blood boil.

Careful now, that sounds like it could be pretty costly too.

Seriously though the scenes at the start gave me a lot of empathy for the participants. It reinforced the belief that I already have: Yes, those people may have been able to make lifestyle choices in the past which could have helped them avoid the condition, but they are all basically decent, intelligent people who just go about life in the environment they are born into, with interests, hobbies and jobs, and not really paying attention to the food that they eat in a critical way. Why would they? We eat the food that is available and that we like the taste of. That's what people do. Those who are drawn to the healthier stuff, or can survive the bad stuff, are very lucky.

There's a world of difference between educating people and encouraging them to make the right choices based on our latest understanding of human biology, and guilt-tripping people who haven't got the message.

Reactions: Prem51

htss

been at this 12 months and this program totally lost me but so have the doctorts don,t eat this don,t do this etc stopped smokeing went down two waist sizes and guess what my readings still above 8 and now im cost the nhs millons wished i had not botherd watching . sick off all of it pin pricks in your fingers as a sparkey does,t help not really a lot off help anywhere