Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The programme certainly stimulated comment if not debate. More comments tomorrow I should imagine.

Reactions: Julie27318

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I wonder why they couldn't find some slimmer type IIs. They happily mentioned how we diabetics are costing the NHS £14 million a year and then, to put it mildly, find test subjects who are all over weight. They all had terrible BG control and you have to ask "what are their GP/DNs doing while their patients keep turning up with high HbA1c?". Probably telling them to eat sensibly.

When they showed the guy eating burger and chips, I really felt they were saying "look, fat person eating loads of stodgy food, they're all the same". I might be over sensitive, but when you have avoided that sort of **** food for more years than you can remember, I do get just a tad sensitive about the suggestion that my weight problem is down to poor eating choices.

I would at least like them to explain why not all overweight people become diabetic and why do slimmer people also become type II.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I did not watch it I had a presentment that it would just be a rehash of all that has gone before of course as I didn't watch it I don't know that to be the case.

I will learn most of what I need to know about it from the discussion and comments here which I'm sure will be most informative.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It was rubbish...full of jingly jangly background music....lock any 5 people in a house for a month with no food and they will lose weight

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Having followed a LCHF lifestyle for 10 years (after following the NHS high carb diet for 8 years & having reversed ALL the adverse effects of the NHS diet in 3 months) while maintaining a stable BMI & fitness, I watched with interest.

My further interest is for my epileptic granddaughter, whose parents are considering the ketogenic diet.

My considered opinion, that hasn't changed by the programme, is that the promotion of a LCHF diet makes far more sense as it is sustainable & doesn't need all the professional supervision.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think it was brill it's great news that we can reverse it cheered me up!! can't wait for next part tonight!

I'm delighted about the outcome after 4 weeks, genuinely very pleased for the individuals. BUT I'm worried that the excellent results have been put down to weight loss, further perpetuating the idea that obesity was the sole reason for their diabetes, rather than the carb content of the shakes that they have been using.

I became morbidly obese after taking a prescription drug called Rosiglitazone, didn't eat more or exercise less. I was no slim Jim to begin with and Rosiglitazone just made it worse, ably assisted by the taking of Citilapram, prescribed because of the anxiety of gaining weight. Weight went up to 163 kgs.

My liver function deteriorated, a well recognised and known side effect of taking Rosiglitazone. Luckily for me I was taken off Rosiglitazone and not prescribed anything to replace it. I lost 4 stone in 4 months (about 15%) which compares well with the results on the program, just took longer and only required coming off Rosiglitazone. Unfortunately my BG did not improve the same way as in the program, in fact it worsened. But then I was still eating the recommended amount of carbs (1/3 daily calories) as my GP had told me. I was then prescribed Gliclazide and the weight loss stopped immediately.

Further weight loss (another 4 stone) did not occur until I lowered my carb which actually allowed me throw to away the Gliclazide, Januvia and Atorvastatin, within a few weeks, because I basically didn't need them. My BG and following HbA1c were perfect. My GP (not the one who said don't lower carbs) even put Well Done! in my notes.

It's just my experience, but weight loss did not lead to stable BG, but lower carbs most definitely did. It will be interesting to see what happens next because if they start eating even 100 gms carb a day (200gms ish is the recommended amount), I suspect that their BG control will be affected. If they are being told that they are cured, I think that would be unfair because they will have to change their old ways and think much more carefully about what they eat.

Reactions: Julie27318
D

Deleted Account

Thanks - do you know of a DUK comment on "The Truth About Carbs" ?
I haven't spotted anything but the link I posted is entitled "A TV programme isn't enough to provide a scientific theory" so I guess it can apply to The Truth About Carbs.
Their website (https://www.diabetes.org.uk/) has a search on the front page if you want to know if there is anything specific.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not looking forward to the programme tonight, the one yesterday put up my blood pressure. OH said 'stop shouting at the TV'
I thought there was a lot of fat shaming. My son phoned to remind me to watch it, I explained to him that they wouldn't have me on that regime as I've lost the weight and put diabetes into remission. That shut him up. I think he blames me for him being fat and not the junk he puts in his mouth.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've lost the weight and put diabetes into remission.

Probably more important that you eat differently. I'm interested in how they fair on their own and what happens after the whole 8 weeks. I'm convinced there is more to it than weight loss. Especially as from what I read recently the pancreas might be producing adequate amounts of insulin, but to what extent is the pancreatic beta cell mass changed. Some American research suggested that 80% of type II diabetics will have diminished amounts of beta cells producing more insulin to make up for the shortfall.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not looking forward to the programme tonight, the one yesterday put up my blood pressure. OH said 'stop shouting at the TV'
I thought there was a lot of fat shaming. My son phoned to remind me to watch it, I explained to him that they wouldn't have me on that regime as I've lost the weight and put diabetes into remission. That shut him up. I think he blames me for him being fat and not the junk he puts in his mouth.
I think it very possible that your diabetes is in remission due to your have been eating differently. You may find that eating a higher carb diet, even if you keep your weight down, may cause your diabetes to come back.