Swiss Re Food For Thought 2018 Conference

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For a 'cliff notes' version, Marika Sboros is tweeting highlights live from the conference #Food4Thought18.

Food for Thought: the science and politics of nutrition - Day 1 - June 14, 2018

Here is the live stream capture of Day 1:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just viewed the first hour, interesting stuff, especially on the emerging evidence that sat fats may actually be inverse for cvd. Ta for posting.

Edited to add. Just finished Jennie's portion (beginning second hour and includes her views on fructose), quite a bit of controversy there but nontheless fascinating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just as an aside, when I see the vid before I expand it the gentleman on the right in the white suit looks like Des O'Connor! Can't wait to hear what he has to say. :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as an aside, when I see the vid before I expand it the gentleman on the right in the white suit looks like Des O'Connor! Can't wait to hear what he has to say. :)
That is Dr John Ionnides and he puts the boot into epidemiology and nutrition science.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is Dr John Ionnides and he puts the boot into epidemiology and nutrition science.

I thought two things when I clicked on the vid. Firstly that it was 5 minutes long! And secondly that it was going to be about improving business models. Boy! Was I wrong.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the full half-day's session, so will take a while to work through for sure.

Today's is a full day of speakers so will be even longer. The live stream is already running and when I took a quick look it was Tim Spector talking about the gut (of course).

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to watch live:

Food for Thought: the science and politics of nutrition - Day 2 - June 15, 2018:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's the full half-day's session, so will take a while to work through for sure.

Today's is a full day of speakers so will be even longer. The live stream is already running and when I took a quick look it was Tim Spector talking about the gut (of course).

I love this kind of conference simply because of the plethora of knowledge and of opinions. I am wary of listening to people all singing from the same hymn sheet because it leaves no room for expansion. Good stuff.

Edited to add. Just finished viewing the first panel debate (including introductions) and I must say it was was one of the most fascinating hour long talks I've heard in a long time. Salim Yusuf (audience member) made salient points, I do hope he speaks to the conference later.

Edited to add.

The second debate is even better than the first (LCHF). NB. A couple of our very own DCUK boffins pose audience questions. Starts at the 4 hour mark and finishes all too soon at the 5 hour mark. One hour left for me to watch

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saw a tweet about Tim Spector's talk - he said both PPIs and metformin have adverse effects on the gut microbiome. He recommends a wide variety of veg to counteract the detrimental effects.

Reactions: Guzzler

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SwissRE have started publishing individual presentations/panels from the Conference - here is a link to their playlist:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just finished watching the Mike Lean and Roy Taylor presentations. These are the first full length talks by either boffin I have been able to view and while I agree with a lot of what they say I have questions, lots of questions. For other members info their talks start at roughly the three hour mark.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our own @Administrator sent this tweet:

arjun.PNG

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

He certainly does! And he looks nowt like our Des.

I hope Rory Collins et al was listening to the point Des makes tha all data should be published by default.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just finished the third hour of Day 2 of the conference. I have to be honest, some of the talk of policy was a little dry and I did think at one point that it is all a bit of a mess (the policies, not the speakers!). How can one decide on policy if the research data is sometimes biased or heavily influenced by outside interests?
Bit of a break for me at this point, will Edit to add later.

Edit to add.

I was losing the will to live until roughly the six and a half hour mark when our own favourite GP Dr. David Unwin posed an audience question. This was during the last panel Q&A. I will paraphrase his question which was what hope is there for GPs to add to research from data they get in their practices. I was disappointed in the answers given by one panel member who simply rubbished n=1 but Salim Yusuf was more hopeful that patients/GPs could have a role in research.
I was sitting here thinking 'You number crunchers! Where do you get your data? You act as though you are not personally n=1s only we the lowly, forelock tugging masses are n=1' By! I was angry!

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For once a conference sponsored by a company that want me to live a long time, with no illness and little health costs. This is the only sponsored conference I can think of where the sponsor clearly had the same vested interest in health then I do.

Reactions: Indy51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just finished watching the Mike Lean and Roy Taylor presentations. These are the first full length talks by either boffin I have been able to view and while I agree with a lot of what they say I have questions, lots of questions. For other members info their talks start at roughly the three hour mark.

There are lots of Roy Taylor talks on YouTube, most people need to watch a few of them before they get thier mind rould the twin cycles. Then think about what drives the cycles and the different ways of breaking them, he only talks about one method, as that is the method he used to research the twin cycles.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll put in a couple of links for you to Roy Taylor lectures for your reference:

https://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

https://campus.recap.ncl.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=c3bef819-e5f4-4a55-876f-0a23436988ed
(the second one is great EXCEPT for the distracting person who keeps coughing all the way through)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Guzzler

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mike Lean told some porkies - especially the alarmist beri-beri one. My guess is that the patient was avoiding more than just cereal!

"Food sources of thiamine include beef, liver, dried milk, nuts, oats, oranges, pork, eggs, seeds, legumes, peas and yeast. Foods are also fortified with thiamine. Some foods that are often fortified with B1 are rice, pasta, breads, cereals and flour."

As for needing glycogen to run up hills - BS! Not to mention that people have forgotten about water weight loss with glycogen. What planet is that guy living on?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased to be able to attend the Swiss Re conference Food For Thought
http://institute.swissre.com/events/food_for_thought_bmj.html

Four days of fascinating presetantations. First two days included presentations by epidemiologists defending our current food guidelines and an astonishing presentation; The role of bias in nutritional research
(via video conference)
John P.A. Ioannidis, C.F. Rehnborg Professor in Disease Prevention in the School of Medicine, and Professor, by Courtesy, of Statistics and Biomedical Data Science, Stanford University

I had a " vigorous" discussion with Dan Mozzafarian, at which he airily dismissed N=1 experience asbeing irrelevant in the field of science.

Second two days I was privileged to be able to sit in on the diabetes conference and meet many of my heroes in the field, including presentation from Arjun about the fascinating work being done by diabetes.co.uk

Overall there was a real sense of optimism that this time the message diabetes is reversible through nutrition might break through. SPLENDID !

Last edited by a moderator: