Itv The Fat Fix: Diabetes

Tannith

BANNED
I’m really confused by this show - especially the second part. I got the impression from watching it that by losing weight and lowering your hbac1 to normal level you are not diabetic anymore. Is this really possible??? Before watching and reading the forums It seemed to me that if you ever go above 48 on your hbac1 you are a diabetic forever. So confused ‍♀️
I was pleased to see that they included 2 TOFIs in the trial so that we could see that Newcastle works for them too. I wish they had said that you can do Newcastle on real food though - a lot of people must have been put off the whole idea by the sight of those revolting looking shakes. A good thing you can't smell on TV! But perhaps they are actually thinking of starting these weight loss diabetes centres for the NHS? In which case they would have to use shakes to make sure everyone ate consistent amounts of calories.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
From experience from a longstanding type2 diabetic there are 2 separate issues.
Controlling bgs (hba1c) + for some losing weight to curb insulin resistance.
Some need both. Some not overweight just need lower bgs.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My practice nurse incidentally says it is ''fine'' if my blood sugar goes up to 18 and takes 10 hours to come back down to normal.....I rest my case!

It is this kind of irresponsible nonsense that guarantees T2D to be chronic and progressive

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m really confused by this show - especially the second part. I got the impression from watching it that by losing weight and lowering your hbac1 to normal level you are not diabetic anymore. Is this really possible??? Before watching and reading the forums It seemed to me that if you ever go above 48 on your hbac1 you are a diabetic forever. So confused ‍♀️
That was only the celebrities Rosemary Collen and the Chase chappy they did not actually have diabetes but were prediabetic so they bought their levels down and were told to try and keep it under 48 and hopefully they would not develop diabetes

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They never actually said that they were no longer diabetic but they all went back to prediabetic levels so had to watch their diets to stay like that

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That was only the celebrities Rosemary Collen and the Chase chappy they did not actually have diabetes but were prediabetic so they bought their levels down and were told to try and keep it under 48 and hopefully they would not develop diabetes

I could have sworn they each had HbA1c's of 56 and 55 respectively. That puts them firmly in the T2 category.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I felt the programme did imply that every type 2 diabetic has done this to themselves - that being overweight is the only reason. 800 calories a day is a really daunting thought to achieve - with or without medical support and I do not see my doctors being able to offer the support.
I will watch more episodes because they are re-introducing foods in the next programme.
The dead body did seem excessive - but it's TV and I guess they were out to scare.
The programme filled me with a degree of fear - if that is what you have to do and I cannot then am I doomed.

Sorry I continue to struggle with my weight - I have lost weight and a lot of it (4 stone at the highest point) gained a little of it back and still trying to get back on track - Low Carb is what I aim for and I struggle - doctors review coming up in a few days following blood tests and a repeat of one of the blood tests - don't really know what to expect when I go there.
I have a stressful job and having tried to find better ways to manage it and having failed now going for a complete lifestyle change - moving to another part of the country - becoming mortgage free and hoping to find a little job to give me a bit of money coming in to tide me over until retirement if I get that far.............

So here's to the future - I don't think I will be trying to live on shakes for weeks if not months - for those that had not quite reached the goal they were informed they needed to continue - it came across as almost a punishment.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the liquid diet worked and they all lost weight and went back to prediabetic levels that was the aim of the experiment the liquid diet was obviously not meant for those who do not need to loose weight. If anyone wants to try it then good for them they will only find out if it works for them by doing it. Some people need a drastic start like that to loose weight and get them on track and no one here is qualified or an expert to criticize it. At the end of the day all that matters is to do what works for us personally

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So the liquid diet worked and they all lost weight and went back to prediabetic levels that was the aim of the experiment the liquid diet was obviously not meant for those who do not need to loose weight. If anyone wants to try it then good for them they will only find out if it works for them by doing it. Some people need a drastic start like that to loose weight and get them on track and no one here is qualified or an expert to criticize it. At the end of the day all that matters is to do what works for us personally

I agree that we each must find an approach that suits us as individuals. Where I disagree with you is the point you make about being excluded from making any criticism due to the lack of qualifications. It is unhealthy, I feel, to attempt to shut down debate because the whole point is to argue for and against etc.
Even the leading experts of particular fields argue, criticize and debate.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I could have sworn they each had HbA1c's of 56 and 55 respectively. That puts them firmly in the T2 category.
The two who went on the two week 18/6 hour and 1800/600 calorie diets and reduced their HbA1cs were celebrity chef Rosemary Shrager and the doctor/comedian Paul Sinha.
I don't understand how they could have greatly reduced their HbA1c figures in just two weeks. Doesn't it take 8-12 weeks for red blood cells to be replaced?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder how many GPs and other diabetes related HCPs actually watched it? And how many of those are thinking 'crikey there is another way', albeit not an enticing method! What got me was the Professor saying diabetes doesn't have to be progressive and tablets aren't necessary...........who knew!!!? :D

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two who went on the two week 18/6 hour and 1800/600 calorie diets and reduced their HbA1cs were celebrity chef Rosemary Shrager and the doctor/comedian Paul Sinha.
I don't understand how they could have greatly reduced their HbA1c figures in just two weeks. Doesn't it take 8-12 weeks for red blood cells to be replaced?
Might be wrong but I think the celebs did 5 weeks on their assigned diet so about 1/2 - 1/3 the average life of red blood cells. Ive read somewhere that the hba1c is most influenced by more recent changes in BG levels than earlier on in the life of red blood cells.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Aye. That whole segment didn't make a helluva lotta sense.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be wrong but I think the celebs did 5 weeks on their assigned diet so about 1/2 - 1/3 the average life of red blood cells. Ive read somewhere that the hba1c is most influenced by more recent changes in BG levels than earlier on in the life of red blood cells.

Was it an HbA1c, or was it a Fructosamine test? The latter only looks at the previous 4 to 5 weeks. It is the test recommended (but rarely used) for people with short lived red blood cells/anaemic people. I didn't see the programme last night, so can't comment.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When will mainstream healthcare provider shift the discussion away from calories and glucose to focus on the insulin overload problem that is so obvious in obesity related T2D?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No doubt they were tested before being on the programme. Choosing 2 "celebrities" and finding out they weren't diabetic wouldn't have worked. I didn't think Paul set a good example as as doctor, no wonder he changed career.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that we each must find an approach that suits us as individuals. Where I disagree with you is the point you make about being excluded from making any criticism due to the lack of qualifications. It is unhealthy, I feel, to attempt to shut down debate because the whole point is to argue for and against etc.
Even the leading experts of particular fields argue, criticize and debate.
I agree and let's face it, the so called 'experts' only become experts by feeding us the results of their experiments, isn't that what we on this site do which makes us equally qualified to opine? I would rather take the advice of those who are living it day in day out, ie real time people who are telling us pretty much immediately how things affect them. Experts basically pass on third party results, on here we get first hand experiences. I certainly don't dismiss the advice of medical people but for me it is not the holy grail.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It was interesting to see the boxes of shakes that were sent home for the rest of the trial, also the longing to eat 'real food'. I was surprised about the 'introduction' of exercise - 5 minutes walking after 30 minutes sitting, because while the bodies were adjusting to the liquid diet they lacked energy. How many of us can afford to take 4 weeks holiday from whatever job to sit around and then on our return to work insist that we have time for a 5 minute walk every half hour? In an ideal world, focussed around the health of the individual, maybe, but as another thread on here says we need to look after ourselves.
It would be interesting to se the results of a sample test of 'real people' in 'real jobs' who are directed to a lower carb way of eating. It would give slower weight loss (not such good TV) involve revisiting over a longer period of time (not so good for TV) but would give a more realistic approach that people could try.