Itv The Fat Fix: Diabetes

lindisfel

Expert
I learned just this morning that Sarah Hallberg (Virta Health) says that the critism that LCHF cannot be proven because of the lack of proven long term data is wrong. They at VH have been monitoring beta hydroxybuterate which proves sustainability and adherence. This was in response to a question on n=1 reporting with food diaries.

Edited to add.

The adherence figure quoted by Hallberg was 83% which, if true, is better than restricted calorie diets.
Yes and Newcastle diet works by putting the patients into ketosis.
The crunch comes in their later eating pattern.

Reactions: flexi06

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes and Newcastle diet works by putting the patients into ketosis.
The crunch comes in their later eating pattern.

Sorry, but when people are actively losing weight by any deliberate method ketones will be present at some level.

Reactions: flexi06 and dbr10

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
been at this 12 months and this program totally lost me but so have the doctorts don,t eat this don,t do this etc stopped smokeing went down two waist sizes and guess what my readings still above 8 and now im cost the nhs millons wished i had not botherd watching . sick off all of it pin pricks in your fingers as a sparkey does,t help not really a lot off help anywhere

Ok, you're a sparky....you're an intelligent chap, so do some research of your own regarding your diabetes. I'll give a word of advice, stay away from Diabetes UK and NHS guidelines. Check out the Low Carb Plan they have here, or I believe the Our Path plan may be similar. Look at Facebook pages such as Reversing Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes Rebels. Arm yourself with information. The better informed you are, the easier it is to cut through the absolute BS we are all peddled regarding diabetes and diet. There is loads of info out there on what to eat and what not to eat. The DietDoctor.com website is free and has tons of very relevant stuff on it. Don't sit back and wait for the NHS to help, they won't. Good luck.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a look at the Exante shakes and they do a coconut flavour one, and someone on the show was saying that it did not taste like a bounty - so probably was Exante.

it WAS Exante, Tracy from the show is now on their website promoting....

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I’m curretlly struggling and feeling bad about myself and the whole diabetic thing! Have been diabetic 16 years but reacting badly to Metformin at the moment have thrown all my toys out of the pram. Having a bit of a diabetic meltdown.
I watched this hoping to gain information and build belief that I can reverse it. Did the programme help me do this? No!
All it did, IMO, was to confirm to the viewing public that it’s baducally our own fault for being fat & eating junk food! I’ve lost 3.5 stones through joining SW & healthy eating but still not getting my levels into the non diabetic range . I just can’t seem to enjoy meals without some carbs & def would not live on those disgusting liquid ‘meals’.
I’m really hoping the next programme will be more positive, less judgemental & more informative.

Try the low carb programme, I found on Slimming World that I didn't lose weight. Their ideas of free foods.....low fat yoghurts full of ****** sugars, etc, not the best thing for diabetics. DietDoctor.com is free and has loads of info, if the Low Carb Programme on here is too expensive. I'd urge any diabetic to try eating low carb, you will normalise your Blood Sugar fairly quickly, but also lose weight. All on real food!

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apparently they are Exante shakes. Tracy from the programme is now endorsing them, by the looks of their website.

Haha as I said in one of my original posts the unidentified gunk would soon be available in a drugstore near you (like they said about the ketone strips! We don't even have drug stores as far as I knew.. I thought that was an american term!).

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha as I said in one of my original posts the unidentified gunk would soon be available in a drugstore near you (like they said about the ketone strips! We don't even have drug stores as far as I knew.. I thought that was an american term!).

If I wasn't just an old cynic, I'd say the programme was sponsored by Exante. There's no money in eating real food, that's why they ignore low carb diets.......

Reactions: Guzzler and flexi06

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I wasn't just an old cynic, I'd say the programme was sponsored by Exante. There's no money in eating real food, that's why they ignore low carb diets.......
I cant find where i read that the Exante products were given free by the makers, so sponsorship in the wider sense of the word eg. free advertising and product placement.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well. I watch this programme also.
I’m a newly diagnosed prediabetic.
Not sure of what I was hearing but I did feel these drinks were not teaching these people to correct their eating issues. Not to mention the ones like me who has s high family risk so it does make you feel like we all stuff our faces and don’t give any thought about our health. Which is so very far from the truth.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It needs to be remembered that the use of meal replacement shakes as the only source of nutrition is only reccomended for those with a BMI of over 30 - the ND was designed to see if it could get similar results to bariatric surgery but using shakes rather than surgery, again only available to those who are in the “morbidly obese” weight range.
Both are obviously extreme measures and I dont think I would try either unless I had tried other things and thought I had no other option. However, if I was at that point then I think Id find others who aren't in my situation expressing their v negative views about my available options rather unhelpful

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, if I was at that point then I think Id find others who aren't in my situation expressing their v negative views about my available options rather unhelpful
except that, if this 'treatment' results in lowering your metabolism - a real problem for some of us - its not a good option. I dont consider a possibly harmful treatment to be a viable option and do not think it should be available.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Except to those for whome it is a viable option - some will find it is, some wont - as is repeatedly said on this site and just as repeatedly ignored, we are not all the same, our bodies are not all the same

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Except to those for whome it is a viable option - some will find it is, some wont - as is repeatedly said on this site and just as repeatedly ignored, we are not all the same, our bodies are not all the same
Anyone who loses weight will lower their metabolism and yes part of that would be due to loss of lean muscle. Anyone crtiquing this approach should be aware that it seems to have an 86% success rate after 1 year of reversal in the big DIRECT study done in Newcastle and Glasgow. The post diet re education of eating habits was the bit they did n ot show on this TV programme. Lots of ways to skin a cat etc. but this was the most telegenic one with its quick results and starvation drama, which does not mean the other options (bariatric surgery, low carbing are not much more viable options for some).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone crtiquing this approach should be aware that it seems to have an 86% success rate after 1 year of reversal in the big DIRECT study done in Newcastle and Glasgow.

I understood it was 46% success rate?

Type 2 diabetes remission was achieved by 46 per cent of participants trying the low-calorie diet programme. With remission found to be closely related to weight loss. 86 per cent of people who lost more than 15kg on the programme were in remission after a year.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I suppose a lot of it boils down to whether all viable options are put on the table fairly and squarely. As with a lot of treatments, it is often the simplest, or the most effective in terms of good outcome treatment that is offered first.

Reactions: lucylocket61